Game-Labs Forum

Union campaign (Hard)

Col_Kelly

As I haven't seen a lot of youtube campaigns played on hard recently I decided to make a small tutorial playing as Union. It is but a tiny contribution but I hope it might help some players at least in their early campaign. Not used to recording myself and my spoken english is far from perfect so I hope you can all cope with it :). Feel free to ask any question if something is unclear in the vids.

Here is part 1 

... and part 2. Bull Run will come up soon. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aetius said:

Sigh, I never even considered falling back across the river. It would help a great deal in this game to know which VPs will actually cause you to lose, and those you can lose and retake.

The victory conditions can be found by clicking on the icon in the top right corner.

On 27/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, Aetius said:

Sigh, I never even considered falling back across the river. It would help a great deal in this game to know which VPs will actually cause you to lose, and those you can lose and retake.

I agree, many VP conditions are a bit unclear sometimes. For example at 1st Bull Run it doesnt matter if you can't take Mattew's Farm / Henry Hill on time you still get to fight the confederates in the next phase. 

Overall this principle of refusing the fight to the ennemy before you can gather up works quite well with other scenarios, especially in tough ones like Crossroad or Stones River.

16 minutes ago, Koro said:

The victory conditions can be found by clicking on the icon in the top right corner.

Yes, but unfortunately they are useless except for identifying which VPs you actually care about - using that is how I learned to retreat immediately from Matthew's Hill and to know I can abandon the Stone Bridge in 1st Bull Run.

A great example of the problem is one that caught me at the end of my Confederate Legendary run - the timer is very short on Stony Ridge, and if you lose it, the battle immediately ends in a defeat. Contrast that with Henry Hill as the Union in 1st Bull Run, where capturing the VP does nothing but invite more Rebel counter-attacks. :)

40 minutes ago, Aetius said:

Yes, but unfortunately they are useless except for identifying which VPs you actually care about - using that is how I learned to retreat immediately from Matthew's Hill and to know I can abandon the Stone Bridge in 1st Bull Run.

A great example of the problem is one that caught me at the end of my Confederate Legendary run - the timer is very short on Stony Ridge, and if you lose it, the battle immediately ends in a defeat. Contrast that with Henry Hill as the Union in 1st Bull Run, where capturing the VP does nothing but invite more Rebel counter-attacks. :)

Really, the examples are not strictly limited to just 1st Bull Run either; Fredericksburg as Union, if you capture Maryes Heights early, it expands Telegraph Road even if you have at least an hour in game time left over. Which means you may get caught out of position, and be dealing with the reinforcements as you are still mopping up Maryes Heights.

I actually did a draw on Shiloh for Confederate Hard, because I didn't capture Hornet's Nest on time with the NPC Army. Map ended before it expanded to Pittsburgh Landing, even though I annihilated the Union on the 'diversion' attack side.

And now part 5 where we have to face very bad odds at the Crossroad

Shiloh will come shortly thereafter and then I'll give it a rest until the game receives the 0.75 update. These are imo the toughest battles of the campaign for the Union anyway, once you're past it it should be all downhill from here.