Game-Labs Forum

the death of port battles

balz

2 minutes ago, Fenris said:

You will play soon against your former allies :)

I have no lust to go for "your" ports :)

Did it all burn it out in 5 trys for Bermuda?  Or was it the flop in Wilmington, you have not even tried to attack us after that.  Sounds like you just want defensive battles with the current mechanics.  I welcome a fight vs people I can get along with, I enjoy fighting the swedes in a way I never have with the Danes.

Edited by Augustus Charles Hobart H

36 minutes ago, Fenris said:

"And thats the NIGHTFLIP."

Haha Time is not an exploit lol It is nonsensical to think US would flip outside their prime (the same EU flip in their prime) this is an online game. Crying cause you got whipped once is pathetic. try getting reduced to a single port to by one clan and losing 90% of your (small) player base, then you can whinge. This argument is stupid we will never agree. The only solution I see is locking PB's to weekend any other suggestion is ludicrous.

2 hours ago, Twan said:

OK guys, perhaps it's a good idea to get back on topic. Fact of the matter is that the game is on the up. Thanks to excellent coordination on the brit-dutch-US side the last couple of weeks lots of good things are happening for us, and I believe the other alliance should step up to meet the challenge (which I'm sure they are capable of). If not, perhaps you should start to restructure, similar to what I believe happened in our nation some time ago.

Also personally, I love the PB timer, as it allows a player like me (and many others) with a busy RL to plan ahead to be part of either screening or PBs.

And let's not blame screening, it's a great chance for a much bigger population to be part of these events. Screening for Castries this week for instance was probably as much a blast for the swedes and french as it was for us.

Timezones: insolvable until more players join from the american continents on different sides of the alliance as e.g. a midweek truce would ruin the experience for current american players more or less. I mean it is as annoying having to wake up at 4AM as it is to miss a PB because you're at work. 

PS  The US port attacks were simultaneous because people know how hard it is to win from the danes, and our alliance was a bit lucky capturing both, as santo domingo wasn't a primary target at all as far as I understand. Its as much a compliment as it was a tactical move from my perspective.

Keep it cool :)

What. A. Load. Of. BS.

On 25.1.2017 at 10:31 AM, balz said:

I also propose that a screening fleet should have to patrol a greater area then directly out front of the port, i feel that you should be able to join a port battle from a 6 square radius from the port to give a good chance of meeting an even 25v25 port battle because lets face it a half full port battle is a waste of everyone's time.

Well as long whole pb-fleets log out in front the contested port we have to screen right in front of the port battle. A higher radius won't change that fact. So fix this exploit and I would love to screen in some strategical places and not just in front of the harbour. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jonathan Arlington said:

Well as long whole pb-fleets log out in front the contested port we have to screen right in front of the port battle. A higher radius won't change that fact. So fix this exploit and I would love to screen in some strategical places and not just in front of the harbour. Just my two cents.

True...... Also this minimizes the difference between harbours.... because an excepcional harbour and difficult to be attacked can have one enemy fleet logged out inside..... 

Edited by Alvar Fanez de Minaya
  • Like 1

I read throgh all the topic seeing people asking for a merge.

A merge would introduce again disbalance.

EU player won't be able to join nightport battle when US won't be able to join EU battle. After few times, it will be clear that one of the two blocks have more US players than theother one or than one group is better thant the other one.

You will go to bed after have bravely defend your port during the day to find it flip and finally taken into the night one more time without you.

It will lead people to be pist of against the US of their nation. Making them the target will make them leave improving the problem. As there is 1 US plaers for 3 EU player, US player will be more valuable than UE player. MOst PB will be lost or win during the night whatever the level of your nation is as the pop on night will be low.

France discut it yesterday and is hardly against server merge.

It's exactly the reverse. We are promoting the idea of two server with 12hours window for PB.
plyaer will have the choice when they created server (or to transfer) to the server that is the best for the Time window. Nightflip will becomes memories.

Edited by PIerrick de Badas
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Twan said:

Care. To. Elaborate. Bearwall.

You didn't reorganise to be more efficient. TBH, you lost almost all offensive PB you make as we lost almost every offensive PB we made. So what have you done? Hum pressing easywin key.

"Guys we are loosing all pb in offense, how to be able to use our number and our nightadvantage to be able to capture ports?"

" Lets just focus on the small nation, then we will attack it on the middle of the night when they are sleeping and on two differents points on the map to be sure their allies will not be able to jump from port A to port B".

What a nice reorganisation.

We will let you play the dirty part of the game. It's somehint gyour start one year ago when you were attacking everywhere and you do it again today because you see the difficulty and needed something to improve your ego.

About the scream, it's a total joke.
The bigger the nation, the easier the defense. I'm not speaking about real fleet of screen. But you guys come in screen with surprise trying to split and kite the pb fleet the longer you can. TBH, we make the same. Screening should be recall in kitting. It's a disgrace, noone enjoy it. The kitters and the kitted guys are boring and most go to sleep as soon as they can wishing a gl to their pb fleet. It's one more time advtangaing the bigger nation than can hold attacking fleet for their ports.

Since conquest patch, coalition has land 50% of their pb due of your number kjitting in front of the port.

So no more needed to elaborate, we will discute about it on saturday...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

You didn't reorganise to be more efficient. TBH, you lost almost all offensive PB you make as we lost almost every offensive PB we made. So what have you done? Hum pressing easywin key.

"Guys we are loosing all pb in offense, how to be able to use our number and our nightadvantage to be able to capture ports?"

" Lets just focus on the small nation, then we will attack it on the middle of the night when they are sleeping and on two differents points on the map to be sure their allies will not be able to jump from port A to port B".

What a nice reorganisation.

We will let you play the dirty part of the game. It's somehint gyour start one year ago when you were attacking everywhere and you do it again today because you see the difficulty and needed something to improve your ego.

About the scream, it's a total joke.
The bigger the nation, the easier the defense. I'm not speaking about real fleet of screen. But you guys come in screen with surprise trying to split and kite the pb fleet the longer you can. TBH, we make the same. Screening should be recall in kitting. It's a disgrace, noone enjoy it. The kitters and the kitted guys are boring and most go to sleep as soon as they can wishing a gl to their pb fleet. It's one more time advtangaing the bigger nation than can hold attacking fleet for their ports.

Since conquest patch, coalition has land 50% of their pb due of your number kjitting in front of the port.

So no more needed to elaborate, we will discute about it on saturday...

Really? I used to have these discussions 20 years ago on Unreal Tournament... Person 1: I am 1337, i have skill..  Person2:  No way man I am 1337, I have way more skill than you do... Person 3:  etc etc

That wasn't the point at all. Screening is fun: ask people in your nation to do the same even if you don't enjoy it personally: more people, more game. I trust diplo will sort out the night-flipping, the rest are just non/minor issues imo tbh.

Edited by Twan

As much fun as it is, to don our various national tinted glasses, there will be no answer with them on. I play in a horrid TZ, any attack we initiate is a night flip, so we stopped, I would love to try again and see if we get numbers to hit/defend...there are a few points we need to be clear on :

1) We have probably 25% of the intended server load at the moment, so all nations (practically) have blind spots

2) Rules put in place now, for the 600 online at a time, will be crap with 2,000

3) Rules put in place now, with an eye on 2,000 will be crap with 600 online

So, what do we WANT a solution for now ? or the game in general ? or can we do both.

Are port battles dead, no, not by a long shot.

Are some nations pissed at each other for reasons they each hold true YUP.

So pick your lot, pitch in with the 'well you @#$@#$ us' so stop the QQ while we @#$$ you. This is pretty good fun, probably destructive in the long term and will make the likliehood of different alliances in the future even LESS likely.

Or accept it, work WITH your game as is, recognise its Alpha,  just have a laugh. Make some suggestions for better mechanics, try thinking as a gamer who may be on the big side or the small side, who might be in the core TZ or an outer TZ.

You lose a port. Put a plan together with your allies and take it back. Its not actually a real port ya know !

Edited by Jeheil
  • Like 9

Congrats to the French for taking Caracas, though don't get too attached to it, if anyone shows up to defend at night it's just gonna be more fake attacks there excused with how it's your fault for owning a region close to someone's capital. EU primetime conquest just became pointless :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

As much fun as it is, to don our various national tinted glasses, there will be no answer with them on. I play in a horrid TZ, any attack we initiate is a night flip, so we stopped, I would love to try again and see if we get numbers to hit/defend...there are a few points we need to be clear on :

To be honest I don't think people would mind the 10-12am fights nearly as much as the 2-4am ones, so go ahead while there's people still playing.

Edited by Guest

if more night flips ... encourage kloothommel to take his moaning and whining somewhere else ... im all for it ..... wish you guys had done this earlier 

i dont see what the fuss is about ... danes threatening to quit  

give your ports to french, swedes, and spanish ... and go ....

whats the danes contribution to this game anyway ....always seems to be other nations doing the grind of hostility ..only for the danes to log in on port battle day 

current players of  danish nation quit ,,, isnt going to kill naval action ... your threat does not bother me because your in fact trying to bully the devs

splitting the game into two servers will  kill the game ..

Many fun attempts to square the circle, but it is impossible for an American to play at 3 am with a European, and vice versa ...... it is simply impossible ......... life is hard but it is so.......

Try it, it will only be able to destroy PVP1 and leave it without players ......... The devs will end up understanding ... I hope they do it while there are some players .........

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alvar Fanez de Minaya said:

Many fun attempts to square the circle, but it is impossible for an American to play at 3 am with a European, and vice versa ...... it is simply impossible ......... life is hard but it is so.......

Try it, it will only be able to destroy PVP1 and leave it without players ......... The devs will end up understanding ... I hope they do it while there are some players .........

Well I agree... I'll stop playing PBs after the weekend - I've got some old promises to honour first. But the real trouble here is that the NA game is losing players and without PB timers the game is gonna loose a lot more. I don't have an answer other than PB timers and quite frankly I don't need to come up with an answer - the US players do if they intend to keep playing PBs at night.

17 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

splitting the game into two servers will  kill the game ..

The playerbase has been waning for months and the current influx of old players are 1) not enough (I still recall the glory days of 1k+ players) and 2) the idea to merge servers won't solve the issue and 3) will stop quite soon when the danes stop playing untill the PB timers are reintroduced. And about the danes contribution to the game - We're the most organized, disciplined opposition the brit + US alliance have had.. I didn't know you were so much of a carebear that you prefered a game with no real opposition.. And actually the danes quitting will kill NA - in any meaningfull way that is, after we quit you could just play PvE server because it will be the same thing.. Ofcourse reading all the carebear comments I'm thinking that the PvE server would be the solution for most brits and americans on the forums. But I'm at the point where this discussion is getting moot.

The problem with logging in under the swords at battle day isn't a new one and it's an answer to the overwhelming numbers on the brit side - i.e. a mechanic issue that forces one side to actually stop playing for x amount of hours in order to just get a PB.. You shouldn't be so frightened for 25vs25 PBs - in time you'll even learn to develop the skills necessary to win those PBs..

52 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Congrats to the French for taking Caracas, though don't get too attached to it, if anyone shows up to defend at night it's just gonna be more fake attacks there excused with how it's your fault for owning a region close to someone's capital. EU primetime conquest just became pointless :rolleyes:

To be honest I don't think people would mind the 10-12am fights nearly as much as the 2-4am ones, so go ahead while there's people still playing.

Agreed

8 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

The playerbase has been waning for months and the current influx of old players are 1) not enough (I still recall the glory days of 1k+ players) and 2) the idea to merge servers won't solve the issue and 3) will stop quite soon when the danes stop playing untill the PB timers are reintroduced. And about the danes contribution to the game - We're the most organized, disciplined opposition the brit + US alliance have had.. I didn't know you were so much of a carebear that you prefered a game with no real opposition.. And actually the danes quitting will kill NA - in any meaningfull way that is, after we quit you could just play PvE server because it will be the same thing.. Ofcourse reading all the carebear comments I'm thinking that the PvE server would be the solution for most brits and americans on the forums. But I'm at the point where this discussion is getting moot.

The problem with logging in under the swords at battle day isn't a new one and it's an answer to the overwhelming numbers on the brit side - i.e. a mechanic issue that forces one side to actually stop playing for x amount of hours in order to just get a PB.. You shouldn't be so frightened for 25vs25 PBs - in time you'll even learn to develop the skills necessary to win those PBs..

i didnt know that you were so arrogant and dismissive of your allies .... have had fine battles with spanish, french and swedes over last month or two some wins and some losses ...talking of been frightened of a battle when was the last time Danes attacked a Brit port that they generated ...my recollection is Bermuda .... the rest of the time you just swagger in on the back of someone else s hard work ... you bring no content to the game other than turning up for port battles

how about if the whole Brit/dutch/US alliance threaten to quit the game ..if the devs force a time zone based server split .... now that will kill the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

So why did you use so many 2am 4am timers against the Dutch ? In the Swedish Dutch war? 

Il answer , it was to negate our greater numbers at the time,you see the thing I don't understand is the duplicity from people I actually respect.

From Kloothommel I expect it, every bridge should have its troll but seriously has the forum developed dementia? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tac said:

So why did you use so many 2am 4am timers against the Dutch ? In the Swedish Dutch war? 

Il answer , it was to negate our greater numbers at the time,you see the thing I don't understand is the duplicity from people I actually respect.

From Kloothommel I expect it, every bridge should have its troll but seriously has the forum developed dementia? 

And didn't youguys agree afterwards not to do that again?

3 minutes ago, Tac said:

Agree to let you guys use mechanics to gain a strategic advantage? 

Nah I must of missed that meeting. 

We TEST things in a BETA/ALPHA version of an EARLY ACCESS GAME that are now FIXED. THANK YOU.

You do realise this isn't the "real" game yet, do you? 

Edited by Kloothommel
  • Like 1

Just now, Tac said:

And we learnt from it, which is why we never did it again ever since and don't approve of others resorting to such measures.

The difference is that it was hugely taxing on our own PB players (as well as really annoying for you guys) because we operated under the exact same conditions as you guys did. Having 25 guys on stand-by throughout the entire day was ridiculous, which is why it ultimately became too much, the ports were swept up, a fair number of our own people got burnt out and quit and in campaigns afterwards no one wanted such high-strain gameplay ever again because of how detrimental it was.

Now if we had been able to pull off the very same thing with the absolute comfort of doing so at our primetime and minimal effort, then there'd be nothing stopping us and the Dutch might've been left in tatters if we had been willing to take it that far. Thank god that wasn't the case, eh?

1 minute ago, Kloothommel said:

We TEST things in a BETA/ALPHA version of an EARLY ACCESS GAME that are now FIXED. THANK YOU.

You do realise this isn't the "real" game yet, do you? 

The only thing you test sir, is everyone's sanity. 

• Like 2