Game-Labs Forum

New player misinformation

Elric

When new players join the game for the first time, they are presented with the choice of nations to select from.  At this point they are informed some nations are harder than others, and there are hints about who is fighting who. 

This information is inaccurate and very misleading - and really needs to change to reflect what is going on with each server.

It is also a prime chance to help balance nations going forward with incentives for players to join nations needing new recruits.

Back when I first joined, I selected the Pirates as I expected it to be hard - only to find the Pirates ruled most of the map - and I rerolled within a few weeks to France.

• Like 8

My thought would be to give new players small incentives to join nations needing them - something like a snow or privateer redeemable or 50,000 gold - something that makes a difference to a rookie, but cannot be exploited by alts as it's worthless to experienced players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

When new players join the game for the first time, they are presented with the choice of nations to select from.  At this point they are informed some nations are harder than others, and there are hints about who is fighting who. 

This information is inaccurate and very misleading - and really needs to change to reflect what is going on with each server.

It is also a prime chance to help balance nations going forward with incentives for players to join nations needing new recruits.

Back when I first joined, I selected the Pirates as I expected it to be hard - only to find the Pirates ruled most of the map - and I rerolled within a few weeks to France.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBM7edgbrg0liG9V5sy-1A

Check out some of Jeheil's more recent.. "Letters to the King"  videos. He lends a perspective on what is going on presently on EU_PvP1

Good stuff.

• Like 2

Great post Elric, spot on. How many players are deterred from the U.S. faction because it is "Very Easy." I certainly was when I first joined the game, I went Spanish. Once I realized the U.S. were undermanned and by no means were any "easier" than the other nations, I went to the nation I wanted to join in the first place.

These are all classifications based on some long gone antiquated notion of what the game has become. They are also inconsistent with the idea of a sandbox - in a sandbox game, how can a static menu that hasn't changed in 2+ years accurately depict which nation is more challenging to play as?

This should be a very easy hotfix to roll out, and yet hasn't been done in 2+ years, perhaps longer.

I also consider the way the servers are labeled to be extremely misleading. Why "EU" and "USA"? There are plenty of US-based players on the EU server, and vice versa. Why not let the ping just speak for itself? If I was joining this game for the first time as a US-based player and didn't know any better, I'd naturally just choose the server that screams at me: "USA". And I'd find an empty population, and probably give up the game after a few days. It's no fun playing in an empty server. How many customers has Naval Action lost because of this??

• Like 1

I do agree the screen needs to be edited abit, but it needs to remain general cause both servers aren't the same.   

The EU/US is only the server location not that it's only for those folks.  Which many folks forget to understand these are both world wide servers just location is so you can get a better ping for your own location.  Maybe with UI improvements in the future they will fix some of this stuff.

Is this actually still in the game?

I remember making a PvP2 character a month or two ago just for kicks and noticing that the difficulty statements in the character creation page were removed.

The key here is to get players joining nations that need them and have some semblance of balance between the nations.  Based on this initial information, many of the nations are rarely going to be chosen by new players.

When I started the game, I started in PvE and joined USA to get started (this was before the port reset) - it wasn't so much easy as boring.  I switched to Pirate and played PvE until I understood the mechanics.  After that I switched to PvP2 and selected Pirate as they showed hard - only to find massive chunks of the map were black...  so I rerolled to French.

The situation on each server is different on any given day - so the information new players get presented should be 1) server specific, and 2) based on current nation balancing needs.