Game-Labs Forum

Portside Business?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Would You like to see any port side activities that would add to your sea side adventure?

• Yes i wouldn't mind running a couple of business in different ports.
    • No the sea life is for me! You silly land lubber.
    • I would like to have as minimal port-side interactions as possible.

I would rather, once docked, have an over view of the surrounding town/city/village.  Just click on the building, like market for buying/selling, tavern for naval news, magistrate for contracts with others including governmental contracts, church for blessings and needs of the people, town hall to hire personnel, wherehouse to store items not in use on the current voyage,  etc.  This could be a menu driven system similar to Eve, and wouldn't require a lot of time in graphic design.  Use that time in creating coastline, as this is a Naval game.  Some coastal interaction is necessary, just not to wander around in.

• Like 1

I have not read any of the comments in this thread and would like to only state my opinion about the poll:

Are you guys out of your mind? This engine provides sea dynamics, ship combat and that is about it. Introducing ports, land structures and what not for you to run around and "do your business" is not needed and would cause a huge spike in development. Time and money they could spend otherwise on core aspects of the game. I would be absolutely fine if they'd keep all landsided interactions GUI based and just be done with it.

• Like 1

i like the uncharted waters model to but have a market hall with stalls instead of people on mats every were tea shop/taven were you can get ship insurance and hire new crew from. i like to be able to walk over and barter for my goods check out the market advert boards to for work/job offers for other people

smaller towns have an open air market

bigger towns have both open air and indoor market hall

pirate towns have black market goods/back alleys  sell cheeper no crown tax or fees just a dangerous location

hire a stall for 24 hours fill it with goods and leave or stay there and push your products barter

and the plantations, own towns were a good idea i would like to see player made ports/town a reason for companies/guilds to fight for water trade routes,gold mines,ore mine,tea,tobacco,spices,silks etc....etc

Agree with Kngsbrg. Not sure whats on the table but honestly I'd rather see an interface for portside life a la Sid Meier's Pirates or Port Royal, than an avatar walk about town scheme like PotBS or UW. Unless there's going to be some option to hit people over the head and rob them, its excess really.

Visit the Governor

Sure thing. I'd rather not prance about looking for his house.

wow i've been gone for a while... and to elaborate it's just simply i want to be able to do MORE stuff then just fight on the seas i had in mind maybe a less cumbersome eve online style sort of thing where you could pick up contracts and the such nonsense however it's just something to do while your not fighting to increase the immersion of the world (i thought this was completely obvious to most people i apologize) and i really do want some port activities to do doesn't have to be overall complicated but could make the game ALOT more fun and interesting...

I am glad however to see im not the only one who was thinking along these lines the idea isn't as thought out as it should be but like i said it was just a suggestion milling in my mind and i figured a poll would be the most correct choice in deciding on how most people stood 

• Like 1

I wouldnt mind buying rum from another player and go down to the harbor, drink the rum, yell at the seagulls and curse the name of the  player who tried to sink me earlier ;)

Saying it like that wants to make me buy a 3D printer, hook it up and whenever I sink someone, have it print a bottle of rum!

(Note: 3D printers can't do that... yet... and I'd be waiting for that bottle for a looong time before ready LOL)

If the game is to have a players driven economy then there will need to be player owned companies....Personally I wouldn't mind manufacturing a few things but my true plans would be to own a chain of "Kneel and Bob" whore houses in every port. :D

You might get stiff competition from my own franchise, the Ben Dover Brothels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I want Trading Companies! Farms to manage such as telling them what to plant cause of the selling price. I want to trade my Timber to other ports. I want to be the biggest/richest trading company in the world!

I want pirates drooling at my stern with my bloated cargo!

I'l have schools named after me and statues raised in my honour!!!.. erm maybe i go too far ;-s

Edited by Captain Corcoran

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, pirate towns should buy cheap and sell high.  If you come in with a big cargo to sell, they're not going to be able to sell most of that locally, it'll have to be fenced or otherwise given proper stamps and false papers to be taken and sold in a "legitimate" port elsewhere (what are the locals going to do with a few tons of cotton, or whatnot???).  So you should get rock bottom dollar when you sell, and have to pay extra for the same problems for goods that you purchase.  Piracy and freeports, while they don't involve Crown Taxes, do involve paying off the local warlords and fences, as well as covering "protection" money, etc. to keep the local legitimate governments off of your back.  It's not like everyone in the area won't know what and where a pirate port is - the key is in nobody legitimate in the area deciding to get a few SOLs and wiping it off of the map.  To do that takes tons of bribes and other gratuities to keep the authorities looking the wrong direction.

This reduction in income and higher price structure will keep piracy a less attractive option, which it should be.

I'm going to have to differ with your point of conjecture here, respectfully.

When Captain Kidd brought his treasure from the Quedagh Merchant into Danish controlled St. Thomas (a free port, or pirate port as one would call it) he was able to sell all of it to the locals because they had a large enough market and a reputation for illicit trade, so that buyers would flock there from as far away as Curaçao, St. Domingue and Honduras, from all corners of the Indies in order to conduct their nefarious business, because the various navigation acts and customs laws of their home nations would prevent them from carrying on such things in their own ports. While the local government was in fact in on this, they received a cut of the deals that went on and were happy to carry it out in public - everyone here looked out for each other, because they understood their survival was dependant on mutual cooperation.

In fact, later that year, when a French dominican missionary named Pere Labat, famed for his memoires of life in the Islands among pirates, visited St. Thomas, he purchased as much 'fine Indian silks and chintzes' as he could, from the merchants there reselling them because they were so incredibly cheap - as much as a third to a fifth of the normal asking price.

Also, in terms of SOL's 'wiping them off the map' - Rear Admiral John Benbow arrived in late November in St. Thomas, commanding a squadron of SOL's, demanding that the Governor return all of the cargo seized by Kidd in a 'pyratical' manner. The Governor refused him, on the grounds that it couldn't be proven that the goods circulating in his colony were in fact taken by Kidd, illicitly or otherwise, moreover, he refused Benbow monitory compensation, and effectually sent his squadron packing back to Jamaica.

Just a little in depth historical perspective that I thought could go toward improving gameplay.

Edited by Zakota

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely bit of information there zak. 

Thoughts to, the further you go, the higher the selling price?

Typically with goods and cargo, the further you go from it's origins, the higher value it will be if a port the other side of the world has no access to that particular resource.

• 1 month later...

Yes this is a naval game. Yes this is currently in Alpha. Yes portside business, avatar, land style free-roaming should be 2nd choice. 

I'm appalled towards some players here who says "naye" towards POTBS/UWO avatar style.. I mean, it's like another gameplay, an instance for example where you can simply trade and socialize with other players. Why WOULD you not want that!?  :mellow:

It's not about the dev focusing on it entirely cause we know their goals, they'll figure out economy, conquest, etc eventually but this would be A GREAT addition to say the least.

If the dev can't handle an actual avatar exploration free-roaming in the ports then a Port Royale kind of a thing would do, perhaps as a place holder till Game-Labs get enough budget for one?

I would be somewhat dissapointed if in the future, there's no plans for free-roaming within the ports honestly. POTBS & UWO had them and they were amazing; to trade, to fight, to socialize.. ;)  

• Like 1

I would be somewhat dissapointed if in the future, there's no plans for free-roaming within the ports honestly. POTBS & UWO had them and they were amazing; to trade, to fight, to socialize.. ;)  

Then NA would be just "another"POTBS/UWO wouldnt it?I dont care for wandering about ports,i want to sink Ships!

Then NA would be just "another"POTBS/UWO wouldnt it?I dont care for wandering about ports,i want to sink Ships!

So just sinking ships...? Oh hey, time to play naval action tonight. 

Yup another day to sink ships, and the next day and the next next day. Sounds very cool.  :(

So what if it gets idea from other games? Those features are what kept the players and the game going. I want this game to thrive rather than get stale after a few months. Yes we probably have a few players here who would just fight and fight and never getting bored but that's only the minority and they can't keep a game going. 

I see no reason to have to walk around with a character through streets and open doors and stuff, it was that part that stopped me from wanting to play POTB and the like, they seemed unrealistic and completely not what i personally was waiting for and wanting in an age of sail game... this how ever is, shore side business yes, silly little cartoons with speech bubbles not my mug of rum at all, i think there are plenty of little kiddy sailing games already. Long awaited a game that focuses on the ships and the combat. Managing a shop/tavern etc i am happy with, but please no silly cartoon like characters, completely spoils the reality of a game like this.

This game is going to be so much more than POTBS please stop trying to turn it into a copy of something a lot lesser.

Edited by BungeeLemming
*edited forum PvP*
  • Like 1

I went ahead and cleaned all of the offtopic out of the thread.

You may start anew with a good, valid argumentation and stop the personal attacks.

Everyone's opinion is equally valid and important. Noone is a more or lesser human beeing.

Keep your tempers down and stay on targed.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I like the thought of running a business in game, however i also like the thought of land being something we fight for control off and it has certain produce, for example, French and GB contested territory, in which a series of battles take place or something of the sort for that nation to own and control for a limited time, so as of resources, we're fighting over them and there is a requirement for other nations to purchase these resources that span over different areas.

I like the thought of running a business in game, however i also like the thought of land being something we fight for control off and it has certain produce, for example, French and GB contested territory, in which a series of battles take place or something of the sort for that nation to own and control for a limited time, so as of resources, we're fighting over them and there is a requirement for other nations to purchase these resources that span over different areas.

hve a look at that topic :)

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5955-port-battles/

• 1 year later...