Game-Labs Forum

British Frigate Southampton (1757) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

I've sat the Arethusa model to the side for now and want to go back and do some more hull modelling. As the Arethusa plans weren't too clear (to a novice in ship design/layout) I decided to find a ship with more detailed plans - the HMS Southampton (1757).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Southampton_(1757)

Plans: http://richardsmodelboats.webs.com/32gunfrigate.htm

Looks like it has been done a number of times in 3D but this is more an exercise to learn more about ships of the time and to get my modelling skills back up to an acceptable level.

Very early days, laying down the hull so to speak :)

southampton-1.png

southampton-2.png

southampton-3.png

• Like 4

Well that promises to be a good model there.

Since you are using  blender I can give you a nice little advise which worked wonders with my models once I used it myself. If you enable looptools you get a new list of modifiers you can use on your "T" - menu.

Select all verticals up to the first wale and use the "space" modifier. Blender will align the verts to a more natural spacing and you will get nice curves in your hulldesign:

space modifier.jpg

I also dismissed the method to model along the waterline. that just wont give me nice hull deesigns. Using the Wale as reference for the space modifier howeer works pretty damm good.

• Like 1

Started tidying up the lines - luckily I can use the planking plans as a generalised guide to get the flow right. I've also left extra geometry in place where parts need a little more to round it off. I'll tidy up and quad it properly once done.

southampton-4.png

Edited by T1ckL35

Yes, Bungee - I was going to go back and round the bow off using the other images but got carried away rechecking the hull and curving the tops :)

Here's after doing that and tidying up the bow/stern and thickening the outer hull so it matches the outer planking edge. I still have the original hull and also an inner one that can be used to make the overall wall thickness right.

southampton-5.png

southampton-6.png

southampton-7.png

Nice one BungeeLemming :)
I *think* I already have a link to the original forum postings and was actually having a quick check last night whilst doing the bow - the diagram didn't quite make sense to me (still being a beginner with these ships) but one of the bow pictures from 3D renders on the original forum pictures made it a bit clearer :)

Nice one _Masterviolin :)

Just concentrate on one bit at a time. Learn the basics of modelling and don't even think about texturing/animation or anything until you've got comfortable with the program you use and simple modelling. I would recommend Blender seeing as it is free and has advanced a huge amount since I last tried it (many years ago). The only thing is the interface is a little hard to come to terms with so you'll find yourself constantly searching for things online to show you. But don't let that put you off - perseverance will pay off in the long run. If I could find my first few models and compare them to later ones then it would show how much and how fast you can progress the more you do it.

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 1

Quickly adding in the bowsprit supports (no idea what they are called). The plans look different to the other 3D model that someone made so I've gone with the plans for now - unless someone has some better reference material or knows about what it should actually be like :)

southampton-18.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
changing image to smaller jpg to recover some posting space

T1ckl35 your bowrail end should not be seen. The rail is merging into the galeon. When you use the curve modifier make sure you tilt them accordingly. (ctrl + t)

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/the-hms-southampton.16490/

scroll through that thread and get all the reference you can possibly get.

http://s810.photobucket.com/user/Chapmanfan/media/Southampton/2-2.jpg.html

there is the bowsection in particular. And also all kinds of views.

• Like 2

Sorry bungee, I meant I'd tidied up the bit with the decorative posts sticking up (it is kind of a rail in the plans). I haven't finished the front of all the thin bow rails yet as I keep getting distracted with new bits (goldfish syndrome) ;)

Thanks for posting those links - I'd used the main picture from the first but didn't see the bow wires image so will use that for reference too.

Added the vertical curved supports to the rails. Will revisit the front one after looking at some reference material as I couldn't quite make out the shape on the inner edge

southampton-22.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
changing image to smaller jpg to recover some posting space