Game-Labs Forum
Sir_Wiener_Von_Snitzel

More action on the deck doing battles Please!

We are now entering 2017 so i think its about time to make a new thread considering the animations and crew on deck doing battles. So here is a rundown of crew the would make the battles more cenimatic and different in gameplay with new crew characters on deck.

Marines

Marines should stand on the sides of the ship either "firing at will" meaning firing at any ships the comes into musket range (50-100 meters) or "volley fire" you chosing when they fire given the enermy is in range. This would help bigger ship preventing smaller ships hiding under their cannons as thats the place where the would be most exposed too muskets fire, making them lose crew relatively fast. Futhere more the game would need more varients in the marine moduls, sharpshotters marines, boarding marines and maybe defence marines.

frigatebattle2.jpg

Officers

Officers is already in-game and they dont really need anything new they are great as is, but if you have an officer he should be standing on the officer deck looking around with a spyglass over the battle 

post-captain_18th_century.jpg

Swivel Guns

Should proberly be moduls you could add too your ship, like Cannister Swivel Guns or Ball Swivel guns that works in the same way as marines firing on enermy ships with in range. Of course cannister swivel taken out more crew with lower range and ball swivel gun with longer range also focusing on crew but does less damges too crew but a more damage too ship insted.

cZPrBTd.jpg

swivel%20gun.jpg

Sailors and scurvy dogs!

Sailor and crew moduls are in game, but should not be connect too sailors on board, as all ships have crew. More crew on deck in masts doing animation please, it would make the game so much more immersive and great.

34ynzn7.jpg

The main reason for not adding in crew is it may couse fps drops for some, but if there is an option too have crew and not have crew in game settings that should not be a problem. I do realize that  this maybe be time consuming for devs, but i really think it would make the game so much cooler as almost no game bothers too add crew like world of warships, PotBS or any other similar games i have seen. Correct me if i am wrong but i remeber reading devs where not gonna add boarding attack animations with is fine, but i do hope too see more crew in 2017 as crew is such a big part of these kinds of ships and era in time.

Please consider adding more. Looking forwards too what 2017 can bring for this mighty fine game.

Cheers.

• Like 8

Witch is why you use level of details, if the crew on little distanced ships are just a couple of polygons not even moving it, medium too far distanced being a picture on a flat model, and very distanced ships dont have crew spawned in it would even make fps better.

Edited by Sir_Wiener_Von_Snitzel

I think even if, for the reasons stated by Hodo, we do not increase the density of people on deck, some variety in their appearance would be nice. Make them look like a random group of people my third lieutenant clubbed over the head in Cornwall and then press ganged on to the ship.

• Like 1

Yep. Apparently they used to have recoiling guns way way back before pre pre alpha... but the frame rate issues forced this to be removed and the crew we have now are all we can have without sending the game into frame rate issue territory. However boarding is being overhauled so that we hopefully see some kind of action their. At least from a turn based kind of perspective.

I do agree with having at least a few marines being seen on deck in proper uniforms if the ship has a marine compliment on board. Because this would allow captains to recognise the perk equipped.

Would also be good to at least see the captain on the quarterdeck, if nothing else only on player vessels.

57 minutes ago, Destraex said:

Yep. Apparently they used to have recoiling guns way way back before pre pre alpha... but the frame rate issues forced this to be removed and the crew we have now are all we can have without sending the game into frame rate issue territory.

Im having trouble believing that this little more crew really have such a big impact, as i said above if they tired too optimize this such a feature a bit? I mean all the characters does not even need too move a couple sails just standing or leaning up a wall. I just think it would make the game so much for immersive and also makes you remeber how big these ships really are.

12 minutes ago, Sir_Wiener_Von_Snitzel said:

Im having trouble believing that this little more crew really have such a big impact, as i said above if they tired too optimize this such a feature a bit? I mean all the characters does not even need too move a couple sails just standing or leaning up a wall. I just think it would make the game so much for immersive and also makes you remeber how big these ships really are.

Remember that this is all still in development. I think they're more keen now on features and mechanics than aesthetics, which will definitely come later. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SirSamuelHood said:

Remember that this is all still in development. I think they're more keen now on features and mechanics than aesthetics, which will definitely come later. 

I really hope so, just seemed like they are working on aesthetics atm as i read ui was getting an update soon.

solution to fps issue is to use some type of 2d graphic for the crew I think to infantry model in Scourge of War

• Like 1