Game-Labs Forum

Guidance to dev for the upcoming Boarding.

Ahoy Devs, 

I'd like to encourage you to make boarding as realistic as possible, and not to nerf it.

I know, this will sounds harsh but; many of the captains out there who whine about Gold marines wiping them out are just displacing their personal failures on an object rather than themselves. Im Pagan Pete, and I board a LOT of people. I can tell ye this with a certainty… Most of them don't have the 1st clue how to fight a boarding battle.

Many is the time I've fought men with much larger crews and defeated them. But you can tell by their actions that they are just on the other end of the internet… mashing buttons. Not a clue how to chose the correct tactic. Now, ad to that, most of them don't even carry a minimal marine compliment… ha!

So, please make the boarding realistic. Ye don't want to placate captains who only lose becsue they do NOT know how to fight.

Anyone out there who thinks their raw recruit sailors can beat elite shock troops by using trial-an-error tactics… is mistaken.

Players, please DONT be one of 'those' captains.:)

Yes, it is true that port quality soldiers, well led, can defeat good troops. But Poor-troops-poorly-led are always doomed. Always.

• Like 5

I have been known to mash buttons from time to time.  However when I lose to an expert boarder (has all the appropriate mods and selects the right boarding action combos) I applaud them to beating me (as I continue to mash and bash away).

I support the pagan on this.  No nerf please!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TsaVolrae said:

I have been known to mash buttons from time to time.  However when I lose to an expert boarder (has all the appropriate mods and selects the right boarding action combos) I applaud them to beating me (as I continue to mash and bash away).

I support the pagan on this.  No nerf please!

How can you nerf it if the new system is completely different from what we have now. To me it will be more strategical than just push button or have best gear. I do hope devs will add crew XP, so after each battle those packs who survived will get promoted. 

I just hope there becomes two or three load out specific ship module designs eg:

Gun boat, modules for ship sinking (bad chances in boarding)

Boarder, great in boarding but poor in open world ship on ship fights.

Jack of all trades, not amazing at either but can hold ones own 

Having gold Marines should make your canon reload times a joke 

Edited by monk33y

54 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Having gold Marines should make your canon reload times a joke 

having gold marines DOES make cannon loading a joke! You can only man half your cannons with your half-crew.
Always shocks me how many men don't know the basic facts of the current system.. Probably why they are so easily killed in battle. =oD

I would also printout that you can nerf or buff a system BEFORE its deployed. e.g. Determined Defender, Pirate hunter, Social, stern rake crew damage. All were wildly out of balance because of what did not happen during the planning phase.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Stern raking is no where what it was.  And is far better than it was a few weeks ago. 

Aye, But it never should have been so out of whack in the 1st place. =) That be exactly wot Im saying. The Devs need to take heed and do boarding correctly BEFORE its out for… refinement. This is worth waiting for to see it done right. We can't afford another bad patch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pagan Pete said:

having gold marines DOES make cannon loading a joke! You can only man half your cannons with your half-crew.
Always shocks me how many men don't know the basic facts of the current system.. Probably why they are so easily killed in battle. =oD

I would also printout that you can nerf or buff a system BEFORE its deployed. e.g. Determined Defender, Pirate hunter, Social, stern rake crew damage. All were wildly out of balance because of what did not happen during the planning phase.

It blows my mind how many folks don't know the game mechanics.  I been called a hacker so many times cause i used the game to beat some one when they made many mistakes or didn't have a clue how to do simple things like lock decks, Run lower guns so you can CREW your guns.   Run lighter gun set up to get more speed out of a ship.   I have some boarding ships that do exactly that I run lighter guns to need less crew to main those guns and to have a lighter ship to get more speed so yes I can out run you in a ship that traditional is slow as hell.   OH AND LEARN YOUR WIND for you ship and the ones chasing you.  I'm in a running fight I pull up my ship and the ones I'm against to play with what best wind I can use against them.   BUT hay if if they can't figure out simple things like that it's just easy to call some one a Hacker.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

You are a hacker!  I have seen your ship do amazing things, like turn and shoot... a ship cant turn AND shoot. :P

I have often confused people with my setups.  Because I will change out my gun loads based on what I am doing.   

The fav one is the boarding Ingerland I had that was crew built for max crew.  It was Teak Crew Space Speed.  They just couldn't figure how it was out running them.  Well having all 18 lbrs for my gun and dropping the top deck makes it a little bit faster even witth the copper plating.   That and I was at my best wind against there ship.  And when you have some one sails down stop shooting at the ones with all the holes in it.  They just couldn't understand how I was keeping distance not at 100% sails and how I escaped (cause they weren't hitting my sails).  Than again that was Badbenny and his little group. 

• Like 1

It is a bit more complicated...

A. Rake damage is still high.  Surprise is a decent ship, but with the current rake damage, it is a very good ship.  If rake damage would not be that high, Surprise numbers would probably go down.  PvP is way too much focused to raking atm.

B. When people are boarding and watching the buttons, there is no information what does what, it is kinda hard for new guys to know at all what to do.  If the new guy does not do heavy testing he wont even learn, or well, he can always read something about the subject.  Still after reading etc. he will be probably a bit lost.  Boarding implementation is horrible atm.

C. Marines in numbers do nerf you in combat, true that is, except in boarding of course.  It gives actually a radical bonus to boarding.  So that things would be skill based, unfortunately I do not like radical bonuses at all.  I can accept things that alter and give minor bonuses but that's it.  I do not like that people can win with some uncraftable module that other people do not have access at all.  Then this upgrade gives you a radical bonus.  This simply sucks.  Like you win all 20 boarding battles, because of skill? Or because the others did not have Gold Marines?  Hard to imagine that someone would be happy to win like this.

D. So you can use only half from your cannons if you have Gold Marines.  The truth is that half is often enough for many scenarios, as you use F5 anyway.

E. It is not even all about 1 specific upgrade.  Upgrades that stack and add things to make even bigger bonuses.

F. etc. etc.

Yes, we need new boarding, and make sure that is skill based instead of random drop gear based.