Game-Labs Forum

Adding Battalion-level management?

ajimbert1210

Question

As a thought, and only because it comes up in certain scenarios, have the developers thought of shifting corps management from the brigade level, as it is now, down to the battalion level? Considering the role of politics in this game, the regiment being the key identity factor for units in the Civil War, and the fact that in some scenarios, regiments are present as "brigades," it might be something worth considering. I know that adds a layer to the order of battle and could become complex, but it could add an interesting element. Historically, most of the troops raised were raised by state governments, so there might be a way to add a simplified version of connecting unit management to one's political standing. It might also be a cool way to revive those regiments with storied pasts, like the 28th Massachusetts, 44th New York, or 20th Maine. Do others have thoughts? 

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

As I play more UG:CW I am much liking the compromise reached, as you said for those battles requiring regiments "brigades" are made with regimental numbers  and brigade leader represented on the field  (i.e. depot capture battle with the south prior 2nd Manassas) but  in big battles having brigade formations and only corps commanders on the map makes the game enjoyable and clean.

Edited by JJPettigrew
  • Like 2

i like the thought of it, and pre-release it was something i dreamed of, but now that i have played the game multiple times, i feel it would make the game very time consuming on just moving your armies. with the brigades it already has the regiments in it, and i see no reason to try and start with battalions as you'd still need more commanders to take over them. it would be an argeous process for me. currently the way it is setup is nice, and you can rename the brigades you have, as you see fit. so if you wanted the iron brigade as a name, or the irish,etc. you could do that. However i must say it'd be nice to see battalion elements on the field as i would love to see the wheat tigers or something like that.

• Like 1

Being the OCD-type person that I am that LOVES minute details, I would love to see the army organization reach down to the regiment level. Having discovered several of my ancestors fighting on both sides of the war I'd love to play with those regiments they fought in historically.

In my opinion, it wouldn't subtract from the tactical aspect of the game if by default the regiments are joined to the brigade and only detached in actual battle much like the skirmishers do now.

• Like 3

I would really like to see regiments represented in-game, at the very least I'd like to list the regiments that are in my brigades, it just adds to the realism and immersion.

When I click on a brigade in the camp or in-battle I'd like to see a list of all the regiments within that brigade.

I'd also think it would be cool to manage the regiments numbers and weapons because I like to micromanage things.

• Like 2