Game-Labs Forum

Help on Santisima and other Spanish ship construction

I have done a lot of research on ship constructions, the woods used, the thicknesses of frames and planks, and have used these to make suggestions and proposals to the dev team. However since most of the good information of Spanish ships is in Spanish, I have very little. I have some things on frame spacing on a few of 74s and 112 gun ships, but not much else.

I have read where the Santisima was built of Cuban Mahogany (it was one of my proposals that brought the wood into the game- though it is not in the right place in the wood tier haha, oh well) but there is also several accounts of her being built of Cuban Cedar. I have a hard time seeing her frames being made of cedar and the Cuban variety is a bit small for that, but I could be wrong.

What is known about her scantlings? List sources if you have them as age of sail dimensions are notoriously unreliable and once one author publishes 'Ship X was Y inches thick at the waterline' then 10 other authors over the next 50 years just repeat that number and it turns out to be wrong when you find a original source document.

I would love to be able to read this book!

https://archive.org/stream/arquitecturanav00arti#page/n239/mode/2up

Google Translate:

He hecho mucha investigación sobre las construcciones de buques, las maderas utilizadas, el espesor de los marcos y los tablones, y he utilizado estos para hacer sugerencias y propuestas para el equipo de desarrollo. Sin embargo, como la mayor parte de la buena información de los buques españoles está en español, tengo muy poco. Tengo algunas cosas en el espaciamiento del marco en algunos de 74s y de 112 armas del arma, pero no mucho más.

He leído donde se construyó el Santisima de caoba cubana (fue una de mis propuestas la que introdujo la madera en el juego, aunque no está en el lugar correcto en el nivel de madera haha, oh bien), pero también hay varias cuentas de Siendo construida de cedro cubano. Me cuesta ver sus marcos de cedro y la variedad cubana es un poco pequeña para eso, pero podría estar equivocado.

¿Qué se sabe sobre sus cuartones? Las fuentes de la lista si usted los tiene como edad de las dimensiones de la vela son notoriamente poco confiables y una vez que un autor publica "nave X era pulgadas de Y pulgadas en la línea de flotación" entonces 10 otros autores sobre los 50 años próximos apenas repita ese número y resulta ser incorrecto Cuando encuentre un documento fuente original.

Me encantaría poder leer este libro!

Edited by NorthernWolves

From the sources I have been able to reach Santisima made extensive use of Caoba (Swietenia mahagoni) and jucaro  (Bucida buceras) but also of other cuban woods and even some imported ones (i.e. : mast and yards seem to be made of "pinos" (pine wood) from Veracruz.  

http://www.todoababor.es/articulos/santisima-trinidad.htm

Amongst the cuban woods main species were

Caoba (Swietenia mahogani) -it seems it was mainly used on rudders pumps and  beams  -,  guayacán (Guaiacum sp.), ocuje (Calophyllum sp.) , jucaro (Bucida buceras) . sabicú (Lysiloma sabicu)  -hard wood uncorruptible and fully compatible with oak- and  cedar (Cedrela odorata) más ligero, para la entabladura del navío.

Take account that  caoba (Swetenia mahagoni) , el guayacán (Guaiacum officinalis) and cedar (Cedrela odorata)  ...are now stinct on the island , so they are not the cedars you are looking for ;)

http://www.circulonaval.com/maderas/maderas_cubanas_introduccion.htm

This article can help you (though perhaps you need more detail basind on the book you attached) 

http://www.todoababor.es/vida_barcos/nav.htm

This other http://www.todoababor.es/datos_docum/MV-reglamento-maderas.html is an extract from a master book " Maderas Necesarias para la Fábrica de los Baxeles del Rey "  by . Romero Landa. 

Sadly I do not got  the necesary time to traslate that whole book for you , but could help you with any passage of it , or other sources that you need.

4 hours ago, NorthernWolves said:

What is known about her scantlings?

First construction: 

Eslora 213 pies de Burgos y 8 pulgadas (61,40 m) Quilla 182 pies y 5 pulgadas (52,72 m), Manga 57 pies y 9 pulgadas (16,59 m),
 Puntal 28 pies y 11 pulgadas (8,31 m) Arqueo 4.902 toneladas (7.443,69 m3) Lastre de 1.546 quintales (71,12 tn). [/h]

After being converted in 4-decker (conversion made in el ferrol and Cadiz -european Spain):   

Eslora 220 y 6 pulgadas (63,36 m), Quilla limpia 188 pies (54,02 m), Manga 58 (16,67 m), 
 Puntal 28 y 9 pulgadas (8,26 m), Plan 29 pies y 10 pulgadas (8,57 m), Calado a popa 29 pies y 7 pulgadas (8,50 m)
 Calado a proa 27 pies (7,76 m) Arqueo: 2.475 tn (3.758 m3) Lastre: 20.000 quintales (920 tn) 

If I am not too wrong one of our users @D. Federico de Gravina y N  works for the spanish naval museum... meybe he can guide you more on this