Game-Labs Forum

UI info for artillery

dowdpride

So while the ui does give me most of the information i need to command my troops, one addition I would love is an indication of which range they switch ammunition types. For example, while the range tag on a cannon might tell me its 1300, it could for example say 200/800/1300 to tell me the range switch between canister, shell, and round shot. If possible, it would also be lovely to have a dotted line in the range reticule in battle to show the cutoff points for each ammo type. Thoughts?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:
  • Small caliber guns need the ability to be given 'horse artillery' status with enhanced mobility. 

I feel like there needs to be more support for shooting cavalry + horse artillery in one Corps in general as showed up later in the real Civil War. Maybe guns later on in the war will change it but as it is now shooting Cavalry is like a more finicky and expensive version of skirmishers that still loses to infantry after you get it into position due to getting out shot at range or just getting charged if you try to dismount them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

I feel like there needs to be more support for shooting cavalry + horse artillery in one Corps in general as showed up later in the real Civil War. Maybe guns later on in the war will change it but as it is now shooting Cavalry is like a more finicky and expensive version of skirmishers that still loses to infantry after you get it into position due to getting out shot at range or just getting charged if you try to dismount them.

Yes. Cavalry needs another big tweak to finish the push they've given it to specialize in hussar / dragoon / recce units. And they need the ability to put in horse batteries for fast deployment with the dragoons to hold the line and wait for the main body to arrive. 

This will show up at the end of development, when everything is stable and balanced. This one is going to require some time and patience to balance. Just like the major tweak they have to be planning for artillery. Put it on the wish list for later on. 

BTW, is there one coherent feature list other than every player with a bright idea (me, that's how I got here) just flooding the forum with their sometimes quite excellent suggestions? 

FWIW, I'm really glad I don't have to pick ammo types in this iteration. It would be sweet to shade the range indicator with where the battery will switch ammos for when I'm positioning it, but I have zero desire to go back to micro-ing ammo selection.