Game-Labs Forum

24lber howitzers.

berwatchey

1 hour ago, Keepbro said:

Don't be daft - quantity not quality is what trumps all. Rather than having a battery of 24x10 pounders or 10x24 pounders or 1x240 pounder - you have to be cunning and clever. I would personally have a battery of 2400x0.1 pounders. Of course the logistics would be problematic. You'd have to have a larger command system with the problems of getting 2400 people to fire all at once. Maybe getting them in ranks and having corporals and sergeants would work. Of course the range on 0.1 pounder cannon wouldn't be great but they'd be far more mobile. Something to think about. 

2,500 x 15 mm/.58 caliber 'cannon' deployed in a three rank line, perhaps? 

But, btw, the 10" Parrott Rifle (300 Pounder)  was a real thing during the Civil war. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

11 hours ago, Keepbro said:

Don't be daft - quantity not quality is what trumps all. Rather than having a battery of 24x10 pounders or 10x24 pounders or 1x240 pounder - you have to be cunning and clever. I would personally have a battery of 2400x0.1 pounders. Of course the logistics would be problematic. You'd have to have a larger command system with the problems of getting 2400 people to fire all at once. Maybe getting them in ranks and having corporals and sergeants would work. Of course the range on 0.1 pounder cannon wouldn't be great but they'd be far more mobile. Something to think about. 

Take 2400x0.1 pounders and the AI gets 4800 6 pounders. This is a poor trade. ;P

1 hour ago, Driscol said:

A 0.1 pounder is 45.35 grams or a ~700 grain bullet.

You are essentially asking for 2400 guys with S&W 500 Magnum caliber cannon... which S&W has chambered for a big bore revolver.

Hey, infantry brigades go up to 3000 so go for it :)

6 hours ago, Driscol said:

A 0.1 pounder is 45.35 grams or a ~700 grain bullet.

You are essentially asking for 2400 guys with S&W 500 Magnum caliber cannon... which S&W has chambered for a big bore revolver.

Yeah that's still pretty hefty - maybe have 4800 guys armed with a 0.05 pounder gun? But that's quite a lot of people. You'd definitely have communication problems with that many men so maybe some drummers and or a guy with a flag to shout orders for the artillery battery to fire and such. But face it - one 300 pound cannon would be useless against that many mini-cannons and in theory I would have brought less ordinance to battle field. Admittedly the 300 pounder probably needs less people to fire it and would probably have a ridunculous range but my mini-cannon battery would soak it up before winning.

I do think that some times I would have confounded even the greatest of military minds!

With my new min size CSA campaign I've had access to all the cannons much earlier and so I've been able to place them right next to each other on the field and directly compare results easier. Actually going to revise some of my earlier statements:

Tier 1: 24pdr Napoleon

Tier 2: 10pdr Ordnance, 10pdr Tredegar

Tier 3: 12pdr Napoleon, 14pdr James, 20pdr Parrott

tbd: 10pdr Parrott, 12pdr Whitworth (not enough guns)

won't test but probably Tier 4: 6pdr Field, 6pdr Wiard (maybe Tier 3), 12pdr Howitzer

Basically something about either the accuracy, range, or the reload (or the combination of the two) of the 12pdr Napoleon and 14pdr James is seeing them noticeably underperform as compared to Ordnance and Tredegar. The 24pdr Napoleon, on the other hand just basically kills everything. I haven't tried the 20pdr Parrott in this save yet for lack of guns available but I honestly don't expect them to do any better until something happens to them.

Edited by Hitorishizuka