Game-Labs Forum

Ships you want to see in-game

Malachi

Ship voting  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2-3 ships from the list (don't worry we will make most of them later)

• Leda class (British)/ Hebe Class (Trincomalee or similar)
    • Endymion - Fastest frigate of the Royal Navy
    • Magycienne Class Frigate
    • HMS Greyhound (1720, 20-gun Ship)
    • Fleuron (1729, 64-gun Ship)
    • Niger-class Frigates (1756, 32-gun Frigate)
    • Granado (1756, 8-gun Bomb ketch + two 13-inch mortars)
    • HMS Britannia (1762, 100-gun Ship)
    • Ranger (1777, 18-gun Naval sloop)
    • Conway class sloop of war
    • Banterer Class
    • Santisima Trinidad (1769, 140-gun Ship)
    • HMS Agamemnon (1781, 64-gun Ship)
    • HMS Speedy (1782, 14 gun Brig)
    • Téméraire-class (1782, 74-gun Ship)
    • Vigilant (Baltimore Clipper) (1790, 12-gun Schooner)
    • HMS Pickle (1801, 10-gun Topsail schooner)
    • HMS Royal Sovereign (1805, 100-gun Ship)
    • HMS Recruit (1806, 18-gun Brig-sloop)
    • Niagara (1813, 20-gun Brig)
    • Le Bucentaure (1803, 86-gun Ship)
    • HMS Beagle (1820, 10-gun Brig-sloop)
    • Mercury (1820, 20-gun Brig-sloop)
    • Porcupine class 24-gun
    • Venus (Bellona-class) (1783, 40-gun Frigate)
    • HMS Ontario (1780, 22-gun Snow)
    • HMS Halifax (1765, 6-gun Jackass-brig)
    • Vileine (1740, 12-gun Brigantine)
    • Panteleymon-Victoria (1721, 66-gun Ship)

Gunboats... swarms and swarms of gunboats.

One 32-pounder in the bows, a single lanteen sail.

Unfortunately, your suggestion is a bit late. By now, the big question is: which 2 of the vessels previously suggested ships (see list) would you like to see on the shortlist?

There is no gunboat fitting your description among the list of choices, my guess is that the Bomb ketch (Granado) is closest to what you would like?

Cheers,

Brigand

Peter the Great's "St. Nicholas":

photo252.jpg

Tier 1 :P

The history of this particular vessel is quite fascinating.  It's still unkown where it was built, but it was found by a young Peter I of Russia in a shed outside of Moscow.  He had it restored and sailed it around a nearby lake, beginning his lifelong fascination with sailing.

Eventually, after the Great Northern War and the birth of the true Russian Navy, Peter had the boat brought to St. Petersburg where, with the entire fleet of ships of the line and captured Swedish warships present in review, the little boat, crewed by the emperor and the Russian naval comman, sailed past them while each ship fired a full salute.

Few ships can claim the historical significance of the St. Nicholas.  And few enough of those still exist.

Unfortunately, your suggestion is a bit late. By now, the big question is: which 2 of the vessels previously suggested ships (see list) would you like to see on the shortlist?

There is no gunboat fitting your description among the list of choices, my guess is that the Bomb ketch (Granado) is closest to what you would like?

Cheers,

Brigand

I believe i did see the gunboat suggestion in a previous post and it came with a picture of gunboat model

I specifically chose 3 small gun/ small vessel choices (Pickle amongst them) since I'd like to see all classes of sailing vessels represented in the game. Single deckers to the rare four decker type(s). I sure hope all the sailing vessels that were at Trafalgar are included in this game and that this Battle will be offered as a multi-player online scenario. (Polishing my Spy Glass -searching the Horizon)

Impressive yes. I just hope, really hope, that such ships will be in game as they were in real life - useless for everything but fleet actions (arguably not even that) and indicating to the local population just how badass you are rolling in with a 1st rate as your wheels :)

Roll on those dream cruises in a smart and handy brig or 24 gun frigate...

To bad we can have the Pennsylvania American 1st rate in game. its keel was laid down in 1821. It was every bit as large as the Santissima Trinidad.

Excellent idea!    I don't see why not, it's a game after all.    The USA should be full of old growth hardwood trees, all we need is the will to build the ships.  "Free Trade and Sailors Rights!"

I am ok with 140 gun first rate, that ship should be used as an advertisement for a game...

The big question is, what version of this ship would be stuffed in game?

The Santísima Trinidad started its service as a 112-gun ship in 1769, which was increased in 1795–96 to 130 guns by closing in the spar deck between the quarterdeck and forecastle. It reached it final 140-gun loadout in 1802.

By this time, it was nicknamed 'El Ponderoso' because she sailed very poorly due to the weight of the additional guns, so high above her waterline. It was even suggested that she should be restricted to defending the Bay of Cádiz.

So, do you guys really want a 140-gun colossus that sails so poorly she could be outmanoeuvred by a cow?

Just a thought

Brigand

I think the answer can be found by looking at how many pre-refit representations there are of Victory...

Like I said, useless all but one or two activities. The real task for the devs is to make it the same in-game in a  satisfying and organic feeling way. Gotta try to limit the number of l33t s4l0r b0iz who complain about their 1st rate being nerfed! It seems obvious that such outrageous firepower comes with the caveat that it's near-impossible to actually do anything with it other than look impressive, but I'm sure there are those who will be taken by surprise, then feel hard done by, and then moan their little cotton socks off all over in-game chat, the forums etc ad naseam.

The other issue I see is that it must take a significantly longer length of time to get Santissima Trinidad modelled, coded and functioning correctly in-game than it would to get another brig or schooner or lugger in-game. Is this the case? Because if so, that's an awful lot of effort the devs have just put in to create something that must surely form part of the end-game before fleshing out the opening period of the game, on something that will be seen by few and used by even fewer. I agree it looks good in the publicity...but how many are going to spot that it's S.T and not Victory? Just can't see it justifying the effort at this point, sorry.

My moan over :)

Baggy

I dont think this:

Santisima Trinidad (1769, 140-gun Ship)

I doubt this leaves place for interpretations.

When I think of the Victories handling right now it will be nearly impossible to turn that brick trough the wind.

And it should be that way.

I would never want to sail this mass at a lee-coast as the ships lee-way WITHOUT sails already is massive.

S. Trinidad is worthless curio. The Donald Trump of naval warfare. Please, people, vote for something else.

Or with so little votes, the devs should just declare that there is no quorum. It's their responsibility to build vessels that will actually be usable in the game.

Vote is not final

As promised we will announce the final voting with 3 top ships from russian speaking forum and 3 ship from western forum.

but it really looks like that most of you want to try the brick with 140 guns.

Fine with us - as the purpose was to make a ship players voted for.

But we are doing other ones too in parallel.

• Like 1

Excellent idea!    I don't see why not, it's a game after all.    The USA should be full of old growth hardwood trees, all we need is the will to build the ships.  "Free Trade and Sailors Rights!"

unfortunately the devs have said that this games time period is from1750ish to 1820. The Pennsylvannia set sail in 1821. Just outside of the cut. Now I guess the Devs could make an exception so that they could have a second 140 gun ship to counter the spanish one but I think this would not be a good idea. The devs would be required to stray from historical accuracy or the ship would be overpowered even against the ST. Its guns were more modern guns with exploding shells and all.

P.S. to everyone

I've already voted so im not voting again... I think the game needs to fill in the gaps rather than build large trophy ships. I love large trophy ships and i hope the ST finds its way into the game at some later point but now isnt the time. Think about what the devs are working toward right now... a match play styled game(open world to come much later). So they need Tier 1 ships and Tier 2 ships and so on and so on. Spending the time developing a trophy ship will only delay the release of the game we are all drooling over. I vote for ships to be developed that move the game towards that goal. Lets vote in that direction.

• Like 1

The Pennsylvannia would be very unbalanced. And ugly.

In my opinion, the only post-1800 vessels that should be allowed are those that wouldn't look out of place in 1799. During this period, most ships didn't change much, but there were various advancements. As I understand it, all the current 1820 vessels are smaller than ships, and won't look too modern. Let's keep it that way, because the timespan is really tenuous for open world play.