Game-Labs Forum

The next Ultimate General

AegorBlackfyre

i spent a lot of time these past days reading about the Crimean war and i think it's setting would be perfect for Ultimate general and it would allow the game to add more diversity to it's flavor, i also picked this war because of the large numbers of battles and the number of countries that fought in that theater.

so what do you generals think, what war would you supervise and command ;).

i think Crimean war is way too short for full game.. personally, i kinda hope for Nappy some day :)  with hundreds of battles and lot and lot of campaign possibilities.. and of course, slightly different tactics and units.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:
5 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

I'm a Civil War fanatic so I'd love it if they could run this Civil War train as long as possible. That being said, I'll be happy as long as they keep it in the late 18th through to 19th century. I do love that black powder.

OK, now all of a sudden all i can hear is Tom Hagen riding a huey attack chopper playing Wagner and using his Augustus McCray voice saying his greatest onscreen quote ever: "I love the smell of black powder in the morning". 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky
  • Like 1

The napoloenic wars is just too big to cover in just one game. Too many different nations/campaigns/major battles. It would be a massive project.

Such a project may have to get split into several games. As a Brit, i'd really like to see a game that focuses on Wellington's (Britain's greatest general) peninsular campaign.

Edited by Speedkermit

26 minutes ago, Speedkermit said:

The napoloenic wars is just too big to cover in just one game. Too many different nations/campaigns/major battles. It would be a massive project.

Such a project may have to get split into several games. As a Brit, i'd really like to see a game that focuses on Wellington's (Britain's greatest general) peninsular campaign.

Spanish independence war (peninsular war for englishmen) is indeed one elegant way to make a campaign game on napoleonics maintaining troop numbers manageable.... but I think traslating this system properly to napoleonics is not as straightforward as it seems (as much as I would love seeing that being done). ACW has its own idiosincrasy.

• Like 3

They could definitely keep up with the ACW theme in their next game and create that dynamic campaign everyone is clamoring for. That would ensure we'd have THE civil war game for the next decade, a replayable masterpiece. Then they can move on to whatever else ;)

Hell, I can still play Sid Meier's Gettysburg and enjoy it to the end and that's nearly 20 years old now. Whatever they do though will be just fine and will have my support!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lincolns Mullet said:

They could definitely keep up with the ACW theme in their next game and create that dynamic campaign everyone is clamoring for. That would ensure we'd have THE civil war game for the next decade, a replayable masterpiece. Then they can move on to whatever else ;)

Hell, I can still play Sid Meier's Gettysburg and enjoy it to the end and that's nearly 20 years old now. Whatever they do though will be just fine and will have my support!

I think they already have a masterpiece here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Ah, isn't that half the fun of a reenactment? 

BTW, what does the focus tester do for UG? Send the developers my regards, loving this game.

Well lesser Focus Testers like myself were granted earlier access to updates for Ultimate General Gettysburg. I played a *very* small role in helping to iron out the last few patches for single player Union campaign. I was kind of a "junior" if you will lol. Basically I played the new beta versions, and tried to summarize my experiences, if I encountered issues, and made moderate suggestions for tweaking. As much as I'd like to pretend I'm a big deal ;) 

Some of the more talented and experienced war gamers also focused tested UG:CW, though I'm sad to say I was not among them :( :P. I can't say I've had to much communication with the dev team, besides the occasional message and the occasional special thanks lol. Koro, Lincoln's Mullet, and many others here are far more deeply involved in UG:G and UG:CW. 

And hangovers really are half the fun ;P.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lillibullero said:

Pls not Napoleon wars. Make the 18 century.

... you mean the American War of Independence or the Seven Years War??? War of Independence might work... except... the South Carolina's campaign is going to cause problems for the devs looking at player objectives... b/c Nathan Green lost every battle but won the campaign.

As an older guy.  I remember a military strategy game put out when Microsoft had a gaming division.  It was called Close Combat. With graphics much like the current U.G.

I would love to see someone take the whole of WW1 or WW2 and make it into an U.G. scenario.   Of course ONLY AFTER the entire Civil War is done. :)

• Like 1