Game-Labs Forum

Ai scaaling dependant on Soldier numbr or unit number?

Sandermatt

Question

5 answers to this question

The AI scales to have forces to match yours. For example, in newport news: if you don't take skirmishers (on hard), the AI will have ~220 man skirmisher units. If you take a max size skirmisher unit (and I don't recommend it, hunter rifles are terrible), they will have 400+ man skirmisher units. Similarly, artillery in first bull run as confederate scales heavily with the battery size of your OWN artillery. If you take 5 guns, 3000 infantry, and 500 skirmishers, they might have 5 guns per battery, 10 total. If you take 12 guns, and 3000 infantry, they will have 9 guns per battery, for 18 total (starting amount on hard, before anyone reinforces).

A lot of the campaign is actually easy to game, just by not taking a lot of troops that you either can't equip with quality equipment, or can't deal with if the enemy brings.  Infantry is easiest to deal with in newport news, so only take infantry, and that's most of what your opponent will have. 

I have heard also that if you just take raw numbers, the Ai will match you, but I haven't noticed it in the most recent patch. 

Pre patch, it used to be in the corps you deployed on the map screen, before it loaded the actual in game mission. (for example, if you showed up with a 10000 man corps, it might deploy 11000, but if you showed up with a 150000 man corps it might deploy 14000. That was last patch though, and I am not sure what happens now.

I strongly suspect it's the guys in your corps before you load the map though. Overall, it's a kind of silly system, how it is quite opaque about what forces you will be bringing to the scenario, when you both can control it if you know how, and how it matters, a hell of a lot. For example, newport news, you really don't want to bring the artillery you start with, when you could instead go 3 infantry divisions. 

On 12/15/2016 at 10:47 AM, timmins said:

Pre patch, it used to be in the corps you deployed on the map screen, before it loaded the actual in game mission. (for example, if you showed up with a 10000 man corps, it might deploy 11000, but if you showed up with a 150000 man corps it might deploy 14000. That was last patch though, and I am not sure what happens now.

I strongly suspect it's the guys in your corps before you load the map though. Overall, it's a kind of silly system, how it is quite opaque about what forces you will be bringing to the scenario, when you both can control it if you know how, and how it matters, a hell of a lot. For example, newport news, you really don't want to bring the artillery you start with, when you could instead go 3 infantry divisions. 

Why should it be opaque? Hardcore wargamers want to know even if it rains above Lincoln the day it comes to fight...