Game-Labs Forum

Adding Division Commanders on the Battle Map

Francis Moffat

Let me say that I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and it is my new favorite addiction.  Considering I lived in Richmond, Va it is very nice to see a well done ACW game and I look forward to the finished product.  

Not sure if this topic has come up already, but something I would like to see added is Division commander on the battle field so I can move them out of trouble and shift them from supporting one brigade to another.

I would make their circle of influence smaller to reflect their divisional concentration and lower the overall buffs the general's influence had on the brigades of his own division.

I would add weather like fog or mist and night battles.  I would also like to see more of the smaller "lead-in" battles to the "epic" historical battles.  

Keep up the good work!!

I think the reasons why division commanders aren't directly present on the field is because it would make for too much micro to play ideally. Personally, I can barely keep my general where I want him and to have another 8 division commanders running around at Antietam would be too much. Especially considering I would have to keep my divisions close to achieve maximum effect. I think it would be more headaches than benefits.

They are indirectly present at all times with their brigades and can be unfortunate enough to be wounded or even die. They also take command when you "combine division" and take charge of the new superbrigade you've created.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, James Cornelius said:

Learn something new every day. I was not aware you could combine a division like that. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, and there is also an AI button if you select an entire division from the icon menu at the bottom but I haven't played with that much either.

I've combined into a division once or twice but have not really messed around with it much.  it could be useful for maneuvering (?) or maybe for garrisoning fortifications.  I'd love to hear some use cases on this from folks (and use cases on the AI button I mentioned as well) 

I knew about that. In my campaign battle of Antietam as the Union, towards the end I gave AI control to several divisions because I outnumbered the routing Confederates so much that the management became rather hectic, but wanted them doing something productive just in case things unexpectedly went south (pun intended).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, James Cornelius said:

I knew about that. In my campaign battle of Antietam as the Union, towards the end I gave AI control to several divisions because I outnumbered the routing Confederates so much that the management became rather hectic, but wanted them doing something productive just in case things unexpectedly went south (pun intended).

So the AI, like, automatically pressed the attack for you?  

23 hours ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

I've combined into a division once or twice but have not really messed around with it much.  it could be useful for maneuvering (?) or maybe for garrisoning fortifications.  I'd love to hear some use cases on this from folks (and use cases on the AI button I mentioned as well) 

Just posted in the other topic, but combine division is IMO primarily used for protecting wounded Brigades at risk of shattering when you still need them to contribute (any defensive battle where you're outnumbered 2:1 is a good example) and cannot afford to force retreat them off the field to protect them. And yes, it can also be used on two otherwise healthy mid-size divisions if you want them to make the most use of long emplaced cover that they would otherwise not be able to fully garrison.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2016 at 10:50 PM, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

So the AI, like, automatically pressed the attack for you?  

It can yes but I have found it... hmm, unreliable. I asked to attack in Antietam after the battle was over in the direction of the bridge to the south and half of my army went of searching for a lone cavalry unit to the north. I might trust it more to defend a certain area instead perhaps.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you guys give troops to the AI at all, really. Yeah, if I did, I'd definitely only trust it to defend, but frankly static brigades are fine for that in general. The most vulnerable brigades are artillery and the AI doesn't have a clue what to do with them.

Edited by Hitorishizuka

30 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

I'm surprised you guys give troops to the AI at all, really. Yeah, if I did, I'd definitely only trust it to defend, but frankly static brigades are fine for that in general. The most vulnerable brigades are artillery and the AI doesn't have a clue what to do with them.

Beta tester here :). So testing. I can see why some players might need it, the maps can be a bit overwhelming