Game-Labs Forum

Boarding prototyping

I am very sorry to say this but i am far from impressed. 

I know this is probably early stage and it need some polishing, models are probably just placeholders, that this is early representation and i don't know the restrictions from coding or from your game engine.

But when i see what you did with ultimate general, how simple and intuitive it was, but how brutal it was, and when i see how beautifull naval action can be, 5vs5 heroe units with healthbar and mana, that would really be a huge disappointment to me.

I can't even imagine if boarding instance become separated from the rest of the battle, that would be worse than what we have now ! Replace heroes with animated sprites for each real crew on deck and show them only to the two participants if it's too heavy to keep a good frame rate.

I will wait for more info, anyway thanks for keeping us informed, 

2 hours ago, sruPL said:

Look at this, I tried boarding Agamemnon with less than 100 crew, from 18 to 30 minutes and then again... Hope this will be fixed in future boarding.

Not sure what you want to get fixed here???

That you should be able to stop a far heavier and bigger ship with your small suprise so it would be easier for you to board or that you would like to board at full speed...

If you don't manage to slow him down you don't deserve to board nad you should now that trying to stop a ship that is allmost twice your weight won't work..

• Like 2

Will the various crew locations and their numbers be represented by single sprites as shown in your example, or will they be represented in large numbers as in Ultimate General: Civil War?

This new boarding idea should encourage all of us to have patience with the developers in their efforts to make the game better and better. 

Can't wait to see what the final UI will look like!

• Like 1

Turn-based... yes please. Sorry to be so blunt, but this niche game will likely have an older demographic less suited to real time action. Ofc - your mileage may vary. Mine doesn't.

The boarding instance needs to be insulated from the ongoing battle instance action. Otherwise the crews of either ship could be slaughtered by a battle instance ship that is invulnerable. It's not like you'd be able to man the lower deck cannons even if boarding is being successfully contained in the bow or stern. How is that reasonable?

Exploitable? - please explain.

While this looks very interesting and definitely better than what we have now - it isn't going to be received well if the obvious RoE, RvR and PB problems aren't dealt with first. In that case this would just raise the noise level.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

5vs5 heroe units with healthbar and mana, that would really be a huge disappointment to me.

Thats not health bar - thats a number of soldiers in a platoon. Second bar is fatigue of the platoon (preparedness to fight). The system is binary and elegant. 
If you have 50 marines on your ship they will be split into 2 units (platoons) of marines of 25HP each. (25 men). It helps to design of damage (losses and kills) with ease, and will have clarity for the player.  

So the soldier figures you see are not heroes with healtbars, but abstractions of platoons. 

• Like 3

I don't like the turn based system, so as long as you can keep the action moving by controlling the different squads it should work.  ANYTHING will be better than the current system. 

When you prep for boarding, are you planning on allowing each group to have their orders already issued?  For example: Marine squad 1, provide musket covering fire from the rigging.  Marine squad 2, stage on the forecastle and attack once the ropes for planks are in place...

• Like 1

Just now, ElricTheTwo said:

I don't like the turn based system, so as long as you can keep the action moving by controlling the different squads it should work.  ANYTHING will be better than the current system. 

When you prep for boarding, are you planning on allowing each group to have their orders already issued?  For example: Marine squad 1, provide musket covering fire from the rigging.  Marine squad 2, stage on the forecastle and attack once the ropes for planks are in place...

we need turn based for connections issue, think about it: a us player with 250 ping vs a EU players with 40 ping, who will win a real time fight?

29 minutes ago, akd said:

How about sprite-based unit with floating icon for ID and strength (as in Ultimate General)?  There should be a bit of "confused mess" of men coming together in boarding actions.

impossible - UG is a 2D game. Confused mess looks good in TW but it took them 10 years from first shogun to get to Empire TW boardings

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elite92 said:

we need turn based for connections issue, think about it: a us player with 250 ping vs a EU players with 40 ping, who will win a real time fight?

exactly! even current command based boarding has some ping effects if you choose to click in the last millisecond. 

turn based unit based boarding will have ZER0  ping issues. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, admin said:

exactly! even current command based boarding has some ping effects if you choose to click in the last millisecond. 

turn based unit based boarding will have ZER0  ping issues. 

the new boarding looks really cool, do u have an eta when it will be almost ready? and can we try it in lobby events before its release in all game? would be cool to try it a separate mode in missions tab ;) so we can give out suggestions before release in OW and u save time and we save and we are all happier xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twig said:

Will there also be snipers placed in the crows nest?

Hey! Why did no one correct him that they're called 'fighting tops'??  LoL ;)

3 hours ago, Sir William Hargood said:

I would most certainly remove the "Bridges" shown...the ships should be brought hull to hull, gunwale to gunwale...crew would swarm over the gunwales.

Let's not get too picky here.

Bridges should be beams, unless the decks are different heights - then hooked ladders. What about boarding axes and grappling ropes with hooks?

No bridging at all, just gunnel to gunnel. What about swinging across from the yardarms like Tarzan? That's missing too.

*Rolls eyes* You guys do get carried away...  :D

44 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

Dude, sometimes you post just coz you like to see your posts...:P...and you forgot to mention the small cannon firing the grappling hook...beams seriously?...and they stowed these where?....oh oh...no they cut those from handy laying around loose spars....right?

1 hour ago, Angus McGregor said:

Hey! Why did no one correct him that they're called 'fighting tops'??  LoL ;)

Let's not get too picky here.

Bridges should be beams, unless the decks are different heights - then hooked ladders. What about boarding axes and grappling ropes with hooks?

No bridging at all, just gunnel to gunnel. What about swinging across from the yardarms like Tarzan? That's missing too.

We are perfectionists. :)

looks great!  I look forward to testing this new boarding system, especially as someone who does a lot of boarding in this game. 

One thing I would like to see is the initiator of boarding being at a disadvantage.  It should be more difficult to take a ship than to defend a ship from being boarded.  Defenders should always have an advantage over the attackers when it comes to boarding assuming equal crew and deck height. 

Also, it will be interesting to see how using grape shot on an enemy ship that is being boarded will work with the new boarding mechanics.

i like to see that this has been worked on without our knowledge. It looks promising. At least more interesting. I look forward to see a video of this working instead of just a screenshot. I'm also excited to see what else is being worked on that we don't know about.