Game-Labs Forum

Boarding prototyping

Cleaver concept, the screenshots alone looks nice, eager to see just how you work it, i got a weird vibe of the game Risk rolling a few dice to move across the ship, here was an old boarding concept from a game back in 1999 thay was quite fun, Corsairs - Conquest at Sea

• Like 1

22 hours ago, admin said:

Thats not health bar - thats a number of soldiers in a platoon. Second bar is fatigue of the platoon (preparedness to fight). The system is binary and elegant. 
If you have 50 marines on your ship they will be split into 2 units (platoons) of marines of 25HP each. (25 men). It helps to design of damage (losses and kills) with ease, and will have clarity for the player.  

So the soldier figures you see are not heroes with healtbars, but abstractions of platoons. 

Ok, so i will just ask/pray for the option to display the 25 guys per unit instead of the "one guy unit abstraction" (purely visual option you can disable in settings if you have a patato computer) when you are in boarding (not necessarly when you are looking at ships in boarding) even if just  25 animated sprites (ala ultimate general) if 3d models (totalwar-like) are too ressource consuming.

Your beautiful and visually realistic game don't really match with fantasy-style abstraction one-man =25man unit, i want brutal close combat effects ! 

Another thing i would like is to add the possibility to choose to surrender while in boarding (or propose your surrender your opponent can decline if pirate - must accept if national - grant a kill for him in term of post battle reward), and / or morale per units or the whole crew so you don't have to fight to the last and replace your whole crew after a boarding you can't win..

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 4:04 PM, Vaan De Vries said:

Boarding is ok to stay as it is for now. It's one of the things that (suprisingly) doesn't feel "unfinished" now. Unlike buttload of all other features. I think current working, simple and effecient boarding system will be 100 tmes better than some wow but unfinished feature..

NO,NO NO,NO, the current boarding system is a dys-functional stinking turd, blemishing an otherwise beautifull game.

Not only is it a deeply stupid game mechanic (clicking a menu in a "real-time-turns", who can click the right moment just before the round ends), the possible actions are strange, and it is the feature in the game that reeks the most of placeholder mechanic.

• Like 1

Problem with turn-based:

I board your 1st rate just to delay it. I can't win. I'm going to let my turn timer go to 0 every time I can, just to make you spend more time in boarding.

I think real-time might be best, RTS style: units are vaguely intelligent and will operate on their own if you aren't telling them what to do, but you can command them to take specific actions. A reasonably slow paced RTS style system seems like it would be more fun and less subject to abuse. (And I'd say most RTS games are not ping dependent. Blizzard games usually are because they are click spamfests and obviously we want to avoid that here.)

Although if we must do turn-based, maybe we could do something like a timer rollover concept:

You have 10 seconds to act. Any unused seconds (up to 10) not used this round will be added to the next round. So if you are delaying, you can only delay 10 seconds per round but if you are really playing then sometimes a quick round where you don't need to set new orders can give you 20 seconds to set orders next round.

e.g.

I use 5 of my 10 seconds in round 1.
Round 2 I start with 15 seconds (10 + 5 carry over). I use 2 seconds just to adjust 1 platoon's orders.
Round 3 I start with 20 seconds (10 + 10 carry over -- I had 13 seconds from last round but can only carry over 10).

This gives some incentive to not just let the clock run out every time for the hell of it.
(Maybe there could even be a "blitz" bonus... your units get a small offensive buff if you hurry up your turns...)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ahoy Admin et Omnia,

Slim and AeRoTR you are not alone!!!!!!! I'm ashamed that in almost 2 years I have not seen this. I truly like the idea and hope that Admin will renew his interest in it. I give a resounding YES to this.

Must go. Fair sailing all. 

• Like 1

Looks old now. I was more excited when I thought this was from 2 months ago not 2 years. An attempt at a new boarding system should be real time, not turned based or it's not that much improvement. How are you gonna let any ship lock down another by ramming him? I'm talking about fleet battles. Unless you have a counter to grappling it'll still be annoying and out of place for an action game.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Администрация ,почему этого еще нет в игре? вы знаете что это сделает игру как минимум на 40-50%интереснее?,у вас совсем не правильные приоритеты!!! вы двигаетесь не в том направлении !!!,дайте курс на этот абордаж и прорекламируйте его игроков больше будет да и побольше косметики даже пускай за реальные деньги

• 4 weeks later...