Game-Labs Forum

Indiamen and Privateers

Adair

Sadly the arguemnt isnt about cannons and loadouts, its about cargo capacity and game logic (remember in a game everyone thinks diffrently about risk and reward than in reallife) in a fully armed ship of war, with provisons included for a 3 month journey is the average, but in a game why couldnt i just take half the size of my biggest cannons all fully crewed i could take half the cargo space of a merchant vessel so i would make two trips, but with an extra 3-2 knots of extra speed, two decks of cannons, and a full complimet of crew plus enough provisions JUST to get to my location.

The merchant men carrys more, yes but thats its only advantage over the frigate. 

Remember in the game world specialization because everything is quantified, is much easier and repetitive tasks can be farmed.

Maybe they will simulate the tones bm tax. Merchants with flat bottoms benefit from this and pay less tax. A ship with its lower hull mostly narrow (like a warship) will pay the same tax as an equivalent merchant (same maximum width and length) but the merchant carries alot more cargo at its fat lower hull.

Sadly the arguemnt isnt about cannons and loadouts, its about cargo capacity and game logic (remember in a game everyone thinks diffrently about risk and reward than in reallife) in a fully armed ship of war, with provisons included for a 3 month journey is the average, but in a game why couldnt i just take half the size of my biggest cannons all fully crewed i could take half the cargo space of a merchant vessel so i would make two trips, but with an extra 3-2 knots of extra speed, two decks of cannons, and a full complimet of crew plus enough provisions JUST to get to my location.

The merchant men carrys more, yes but thats its only advantage over the frigate. 

Remember in the game world specialization because everything is quantified, is much easier and repetitive tasks can be farmed.

If you're going to fight the warship, you'll need far more crew, which will equal far more cost and reduced capacity in the supplies to keep them all fed well.  You have extra cost in the extra rigging/sails/etc a warship carries as well.  There are a number of ways to limit the utility of a warship for bulk cargo that will make a dedicated merchantman the better option.

• 1 month later...

• Farming/Hauling should not be deleted from a game. You must understand there are many who enjoy those types of gameplay and it has to be included and not forced, as an option in a game.

I agree with sir Wind here 100%.

- Farming /Hauling is a must and as such it will be in game for sure.

Just becouse some people dont like it that is not enough of the reason that it shouldnt be in game (did you think about people that mite like it).

Please give some good argument why this feature is to be banned from the game?

Did you all think about what those " farming guys " mire find and then sell to example > Auction house -Trading guilds and such that you mite buy later on and improve you ship?

Ah yes, this post goes right up my alley (Merchant first, Naval Officer second). I'm looking forward to seeing the Indiamen vessels introduced to the game. I was hoping they would add them soon so we can test their capacity in combat.

That, along with any range of merchant or privateering vessel. We need to see these ships introduced and put into combat to see exactly where they fit in the range of things.

It would also be critical to see how they fare in terms of speed, and their ability to get away (if they dump their guns, cargo, etc)

Edited by StormtrooperCaptain

Ah yes, this post goes right up my alley (Merchant first, Naval Officer second). I'm looking forward to seeing the Indiamen vessels introduced to the game. I was hoping they would add them soon so we can test their capacity in combat.

The Indiaman Amsterdam (the one that will be added to the game) had an armament of 42 cannons, which sounds impressive enough, unless you take a look at what weight those cannons where (it might not be news to everyone):

8 x 12pdr

16 x 8pdr

8 x 4pdr

10 swivel guns

The 12 and 8 pounders are gonne hurt a privateer, the 4 pounders and swivels are less impressive.

~Brigand

The Indiaman Amsterdam (the one that will be added to the game) had an armament of 42 cannons, which sounds impressive enough, unless you take a look at what weight those cannons where (it might not be news to everyone):

8 x 12pdr

16 x 8pdr

8 x 4pdr

10 swivel guns

The 12 and 8 pounders are gonne hurt a privateer, the 4 pounders and swivels are less impressive.

~Brigand

Her guns are hardly enough to penetrate anything higher than a Brig. My guess is her cargo space and speed will be where she shines. Depending on how the open world works, we can hope that it'll be a formidable trading vessel.

Edited by StormtrooperCaptain