Game-Labs Forum

Battle Timers

AegorBlackfyre

i think the whole timers thing should be removed or have the time increased until dusk cause it drives the whole immersion and strategy out of the game, can you imagine a 3000 vs 3000 brigade shooting against each other then after 2 hours they're like:"oh looky here it's 10 o'clock i guess you guys can keep this fortand we'll call it a day".

• Like 1

From my FAQ on the Steam forum:

"All grand battles end when the day is over and when the vast majority of the civil war battles ended naturally due to darkness. Night time large scale fighting was very rare.
It also serves to drive the battle forwards - you cannot simply sit back and wait for all of your forces to come in and make one overwhelming attack. If this was the case, say timers were allowed to be extended indefinetely, this would almost always be the optimal strategy use.
Real battles had troops coming in at different times and the generals had a limited time to use those troops in battle, and this is reflected in the game.
In the grand battles, the timers during the battle are there as guidance - you can choose whether to follow them or not but you might make it harder on yourself in the process.
The smaller scenarios have a more limited time scale but all of them should have enough time to complete the object.

At the end of the day, this is also a game, and simulating the real reasons why battles tended to end, fatigue, moral etc. would be very difficult. Removing the timers would cause all kinds of new balance issues to be considered and is not as simple as it may seem."

• Like 1