Game-Labs Forum
admin

Night flips opinion

Poll   

312 members have voted

1. 1. Nightflips are a problem?

• Yes - game will be better without nightflips
    • No - night flips are a natural part of a sandbox game

This is a worldwide game, with players from all over the world. Excluding timezones because people crying that port battles are not in their timezones is nothing but puerile whinging. The root of this problem isn't about what time port battles are held, but nations not having a spread population. This of course, is simply down to the low population of Naval Action.

I can't propose a fix for this, and even if I could come up with the perfect solution, it would fall on deaf ears.  

• Like 3

On 1/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, Hethwill said:

Knowing humans the biggest share will join the factions with biggest numbers active.

The concept is good to explore but it has to be something different, like number of regions controlled for example.

Give incintives like on MWO for the merc units.  It can be any where from a -30 to 20% to you xp/credit earned depending which House you join and help.   This would work great for Privateers if they went that route with pirates. I really think they should change the name of the from Pirate to Priavteer and than you have those with no contracts will be outlaws and they will be the true pirates.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Salty Dog PVP1 said:

at the expense of making the game unplayable to the rest of the world.

Two servers, two different primetimes. Most of the the world covered.

• Like 1

"One" server, one gaming table, one community.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

"One" server, one gaming table, one community.

If that nightfight campaign continues a very small table will suffice.

Why not have multi-part port battles?

say in 3 timezones, 8 hours apart.

Then set up some formula to use the total points vs participation to find the victor?

this way you are guaranteed participation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

If that nightfight campaign continues a very small table will suffice.

Sir, my opinion on this subject, and reasonably brought to all in this discussion, dismisses to any favor to absolutist feudalism.

It is based upon the values of liberty, equality and community.

• Like 1

This thread is not about your nations, it is about ALL players.

It is being cleansed from ALL and ANY reference to "diplomacy" and "national news".

Behave like you really care.

Thank you.

54 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Why not have multi-part port battles?

say in 3 timezones, 8 hours apart.

Then set up some formula to use the total points vs participation to find the victor?

this way you are guaranteed participation.

Your suggestion does nothing at all however to the current restrictions that prevent a large number of players in the United States and Canada from being able to participate in port battles during their prime time hours.  Under the current game mechanic there are no port battles that can start after 7pm Mountain time / 6pm Pacific time. Since players normally start to gather at about an hour before a port battle starts (so gathering at 6pm Mountain/5pm Pacific), you have people in half the United States/Canadian continental time zones who are either just leaving work, on their way home/just arriving home from work or eating dinner.

You cannot participate in port battles that occur during the EU primetime since you are at school or at work, AND then you cannot participate in port battles during your own prime time because the game mechanics restrict those port battles to times when you have not even gotten home yet.

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chijohnaok said:

Your suggestion does nothing at all however to the current restrictions that prevent a large number of players in the United States and Canada from being able to participate in port battles during their prime time hours.  Under the current game mechanic there are no port battles that can start after 7pm Mountain time / 6pm Pacific time. Since players normally start to gather at about an hour before a port battle starts (so gathering at 6pm Mountain/5pm Pacific), you have people in half the United States/Canadian continental time zones who are either just leaving work, on their way home/just arriving home from work or eating dinner.

You cannot participate in port battles that occur during the EU primetime since you are at school or at work, AND then you cannot participate in port battles during your own prime time because the game mechanics restrict those port battles to times when you have not even gotten home yet.

I'm in the Mountain time zone, if port battles are not scheduled in the last half hour available I can't make the port battle.  I can only sneak out of work so many days of the week before the boss starts raising questions.  

It works the same on PVP 2.

Edited by Salty Dog PVP1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Salty Dog PVP1 said:

I'm in the Mountain time zone, if port battles are not scheduled in the last half hour available I can't make the port battle.  I can only sneak out of work so many days of the week before the boss starts raising questions.  

It works the same on PVP 2.

Hell, l I live in EST and I can't joing PBs at all. 

But I guess that's OK cause a few guys feel they HAVE to wake up and defend their port a few times a week. Odd thing is,  I don't remember seeing anything telling them they HAVE to join every PB. 

Edited by Daguse
  • Like 1

Personally, I am against night flips at the current stage of the game. (Low population)
Right now we are in the awkward position that everything is being merged into one server that used to be EU...
It has become a more global server, however the distribution of people playing in non-EU timezones is not even.
One problem that does not help with this is the very low server population at this moment, which makes it so that the number of non-EU players which are not in the GB/US/NL/PR block is not high enough to give any meaningful form of resistance.

There could be a community driven solution to this problem by having some non-EU players switch in support of the other block. (Will probably not happen?)
Or we need some nightflip control. If only we had bigger numbers there would be no need for these kinds of solutions.

At this point DK from the DK/SE/FR/ES faction is close to quitting, perhaps more will follow. This cannot be good. I am sure we all just want nice fights. These player-attrition battles need to STOP!

Yours faithfully,

The Turncoat :)

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, John Swigglebottoms said:

At this point DK from the DK/SE/FR/ES faction is close to quitting, perhaps more will follow. This cannot be good. I am sure we all just want nice fights. These player-attrition battles need to STOP!

Here+have+it+without+the+watermark+_d797

Been saying this for weeks/months.

Edited by Kloothommel

14 hours ago, Hethwill said:

This thread is not about your nations, it is about ALL players.

It is being cleansed from ALL and ANY reference to "diplomacy" and "national news".

Behave like you really care.

Thank you.

Again, Stay On topic please

• Like 3

Nations reached a point where they would do anything to harm the enemy nation. Whole nations support night flips and fake night flips midweek.

That's not a good direction these nations are taking.

• Like 5

The way it is now the playerbase just force the devs to stop nightflips, instead of trying to balance the playerbase and have nice fight for everyone.

I believe in the end they are shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, John Swigglebottoms said:

Personally, I am against night flips at the current stage of the game. (Low population)
Right now we are in the awkward position that everything is being merged into one server that used to be EU...
It has become a more global server, however the distribution of people playing in non-EU timezones is not even.
One problem that does not help with this is the very low server population at this moment, which makes it so that the number of non-EU players which are not in the GB/US/NL/PR block is not high enough to give any meaningful form of resistance.

There could be a community driven solution to this problem by having some non-EU players switch in support of the other block. (Will probably not happen?)
Or we need some nightflip control. If only we had bigger numbers there would be no need for these kinds of solutions.

Yours faithfully,

The Turncoat :)

Its a pitty we dont have more players with the same thoughts as yours. 

• Like 3

The discussions however got quite fiery and I do have my doubts whether it will be received/outed in cincerity. Still the long term problem will persist. I can fully understand that the non-EU players also want nice fights, but for this player dispersity should be changed, I guess? Sweden is already discussing/working on taking in more non-EU players. I think the efforts must be made on both sides. I have experienced playing with several countries and I must say that as an English speaker your are not particularly drawn to the other block by a language barrier. This is something which might need to be overcome. All players should receive equal content opportunities :)

Screw that, this issue runs far deeper than some minor diplomatic dispute (especially since nothing was lost) and it's just gonna be used as trump card whenever the going gets tough, which is fundamentally wrong from a game perspective and unacceptable for nations who have actually had to fight for their existence. 10/10 would attack the US en masse again.

(Sorry Hethwill)

Edited by Guest

Its so ridiculous that in 2017, on a GLOBAL SERVER, that people expect people to cater to ONLY THEIR time zone...  This is either a global game or it isnt.   I mean, one way or another, one large group of people are going to miss out on content.   For the final time, you DO have the ability to get PB's in YOUR prime time if you choose.  Your CHOOSING to combat a faction with a majority of players in a different time zone means you forfeit any right to complain about it.  Try and take Dutch ports.  try and take Brit ports.  Try and take Pirate  ports.  You.  Have.  Options.

Is this a global server or not?

=stop faction reference for a healthy debate = Moderation team

• Like 4

Again... I believe you are missing the point I am trying to make. (Might be due to my phrasing being a non-native speaker) I responded to this thread in the hope we could find a midway solution so that no night flip controls need to be put in place. I am trying to assess the possibility of giving you, the US, proper content by having people that play in your timezone on our side as well :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Its so ridiculous that in 2017, on a GLOBAL SERVER, that people expect people to cater to ONLY THEIR time zone...  This is either a global game or it isnt.   I mean, one way or another, one large group of people are going to miss out on content.   For the final time, you DO have the ability to get PB's in YOUR prime time if you choose.  Your CHOOSING to combat a faction with a majority of players in a different time zone means you forfeit any right to complain about it.  Try and take Dutch ports.  try and take Brit ports.  Try and take Pirate  ports.  You.  Have.  Options.

Is this a global server or not?

You and all the others are the missing the point. The eastern block has almost no american timezone players. They have mostly EU players.

Brits and americans have many US timezone players. but the western alliance has also many EU players. In fact, you have so many EU players that we are either the same in numbers (if the spanish would come around and we would go to the spanish in force) or are even more in the EU timezone.

So the only thing you have to do is attack at night midweek to get easy regionflips. If we attack americans we have the same enemys as if we would attack brits or dutch directly.

This is a problem because of the composition of the blocks (US players want fights too, so they attack ofc. but they cant attack the other nation with many US timezone players because of the alliance)

Also this is a problem because of the low population at the moment (which is increasing slowly again)

And this is a problem because this game is about real nations. Ofcourse americans join the US and former british colonies join the brits. (the most)

So there has to be a mechanic which provides fun for everyone. One solution would be prime time based servers. Eu server = portbattes from 15 to 23 servertime for example and US with their primetime and a different maintenance window so they can play in the primetime.

another solution would be a alliancechange. which possibly will not happen or pretty late.

another solution (which the dev's are working on) is the reintroduction of timers.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

another solution (which the dev's are working on) is the reintroduction of timers.

Which, sadly, is only a "solution" insofar as to how it at least prevented what we're now seeing. And for all we know those changes might not even happen 'til summertime, so better strap in for a very bumpy ride until then.

It's too bad, the hostility system had great promise.

1 minute ago, Aegir said:

Which, sadly, is only a "solution" insofar as to how it at least prevented what we're now seeing. And for all we know those changes might not even happen 'til summertime, so better strap in for a very bumpy ride until then.

It's too bad, the hostility system had great promise.

Agreed.  If they had found a way to force PvP to increase hostility instead of AI grinding...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Agreed.  If they had found a way to force PvP to increase hostility instead of AI grinding...

actually it isn't that hard.

Making the missionareas only spawn in front of capitals. Let them be open for full duration of missiontime. While doing a mission port is also blockaded. If you stay inside blockade range there will be a servermessage that the port is being blockaded and fleets can gather to break the blockade.

• Like 4