Game-Labs Forum

Everything I've found wrong with the game thus far

fallendown

I am documenting everything that I've found wrong with the game thus far and sadly enough most are things carried over from Ultimate General Gettysburg.

1. Routing: Soldiers are still routing towards the enemy instead of routing towards friendly troops.
  2. Skirmishers: Skirmishers never operated as they're portrayed in this game. Their principle job was to screen the main battle line from the enemy's skirmishers, who were generally the best shots in the regiment. For more detail read "A Mississippi Rebel in the Army of Northern Virginia", who's author, David Holt, was a skirmisher for the 21st Mississippi under General Posey. They never operated "Special Forces" style as depicted in this game, operating behind enemy lines. They stayed close to their regiments so when confronted with the enemy in force they could retreat to the safety of the main battle line. Even when used to protect strategic areas, like river fords, they still operated close to their regiments. The only exception to this was cavalry. 
  3. Artillery depression and elevation: Like routing, this was a problem that was also present in Ultimate General: Gettysburg. For instance, there were many times where artillery at the base of Big Round Top could miraculously fire up to the top of Big Round Top. I've been there, there's no way that could happen. Civil war artillery had a max elevation and depression. Similarly, dead ground, operating "under the guns" is not accurately portrayed. For instance on Gaines Mill, it's possible to put artillery on the backside of the ridge along the stream and hit enemy troops on the opposite slope, which according to the game map, is pretty steep.
  4. Surrendering: If a unit has a way to escape it will try to escape, who wants to spend the rest of the war in Andersonville or Point Lookout. Yesterday at 1st Bull Run, Bee's troops surrendered after being charged while still having 1465 troops and nothing blocking their retreat.  

Other than this the game is pretty good. It's kinda cheesy how the weapon purchasing is a direct rip off of Civil War General's 2, but I'm not sure there's a better way to implement it. 

EDIT: Also Artillery firing at enemy infantry that is in close proximity or in melee with friendly infantry, also friendly artillery firing canister through friendly infantry. What about friendly casualties?

Edited by fallendown
  • Like 2