Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion for a special event type

Suggestion for a special event type

Hi all!

I'm here today to make a suggestion on a new design for Events. It's a resuggestion of an older post but i cut a lot of things and made it less complicated. <Link to old suggestion>

Before i start, let me do some assumptions on what the actual goals of events are and why the previous event failed (you can skip this in case you hate long posts):

1. Create an rewarding PvP experience.
For the most players it was more rewarding to hop into the fastest trader they had and get as much loot as they could grab. There was no intention of them to go in a fight at all. The only fights happening were frigates tagging these traders to steal their loot.
2. Create an equal PvP fight.
When theres 256 different Chests, there will be 256 different unbalanced battles. Less chests will give each fight a higher meaning and give a greater chance for larger battles.
3. Making some ships more exclusive.
Well, the events were dropped early. But if they kept going, number of blueprints would have increased until they were common. Paint was a different thing since it wasn't reusable.
4. Give people with real lives the possibility to have a planned PvP event within a managable timeframe.
This worked so far through the hints. But the location could be away more than an hour of pure sailing which drew a lot people off. Also, if you get chased with your loot it can play out as a tedious "run -  get tagged - get chased - exit" loop.

My core idea is to have two parties from which one already has the Chest, but the other one has the Key. A player with a Chest will have to sink a player with a Key to open it, and the other way around.

Keys and Chests are drops from Raids. A successful Raid will drop a Key for every surviving attacker, and a blocked Raid will drop a Chest for every surviving defender. You can only have one Key/Chest per Region. When a certain amount of items is distributed, an event will take place 46h later in that Region (similar to PBs).

When the event starts, a 2h timeframe will open in which sinking an enemy (in said region) that carries a Key/Chest will grant you his item. The attacker will try to bring his Key and a stolen Chest from the nearest Free Town to the Regional Capital in order to open it, while the defender will try to bring his Chest and a stolen Key from the Regional Capital to the nearest Free Town. Key and Chest carriers should have a marker on their ship (like the old flag carrier marker).

To make travel to the event easy, I wanna propose to add an "Event-Outpost"-Slot. It's linked with your capital, for the duration of the event you can access all ships from your capital as if they were in that Free Town (attacker) or your Regional Capital (defender)

TLDR:
- get Keys/Chest from Raids
- event is triggered 46h after x items are distributed
- steal your enemies Keys/Chest and deliver these items to get loot

That's it! I edited a lot of things after i wrote them, so if something is not clear feel free to ask and give feedback. Thanks for taking the time, and if you like my suggestion please upboat :)

Fair seas,

Havelock

• Like 1

Sounds interesting. What I would like to see more is player created events. My first guild created a treasure hunt where you gave clues to locations, had to sail to those ports, pick up special items (like an iron ingot from a player at one port, coal from a player at another port etc) and the first player back with all peices got a bunch of gold, silver, and copper coins.  Although we never carried it out :( not enough interest. 

1 hour ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Sounds interesting. What I would like to see more is player created events. My first guild created a treasure hunt where you gave clues to locations, had to sail to those ports, pick up special items (like an iron ingot from a player at one port, coal from a player at another port etc) and the first player back with all peices got a bunch of gold, silver, and copper coins.  Although we never carried it out :( not enough interest. 

It's probably a question how easy it is to implement such things. Its very time consuming to have actual people organizing. I would love if we could suggest different events in the future, vote for the best ones and let them be implemented. Or maybe it could be possible to add some sort of editor to let players set up their own mechanics? Maybe the Devs could hook these events up with some nice loot :)