Game-Labs Forum

Events explained in detail

20 hours ago, Sir Isaac Redwood said:

PvP challenge sounds fun but we will have to see how 3 each day will affect the regular open word PvP.

And I am not sure if there should be PvE events on PvP servers (I guess these challenges apply to both PvP and PvE servers?). Because I do not think that rewarding players for playing with nothing but AI ships is something for a PvP server.

PvP server has people who pvp and those who don't. Forcing all into pvp is not a smart move.

• Like 3

Please don't give "special rewards" to the top 10. This just gets things back down to the elitists who play 24/7 getting the best stuff and creating an eventual huge slant in the gear long term.

I think challenges like WOWs have are better. Everybody can participate and get the same rewards if they do the same missions. Get 24,000XP in 2 days and get X reward for instance. You know what you need to do and you go do it and get your reward. Done. 

12 hours ago, sruPL said:

You don't respawn on last port but the closest friendly / free town. Also good / rich players don't care 1 dura ships.

sruPL, I know that. But often the last port is also the one closest to you if you operate in enemy waters which is a high probability for most of the participants in those PVP events I assume. So at least half the playerbase have to sail a long way everytime. And if the PVP event area is always somewhere far in the middle of the ocean it affects everybody. But don't let us get lost in details ;).

And just because they don't care it doesn't make it less dumb imho.

I think I agree with the other OW hunters in this.  I applaud the attempt to create more PVP in the game, but I prefer finding a ship (or being found) on open water.  This is a big part of the reason I don't like taking missions.  This game started as a series of battle instances, with no OW, and now it seems like it's reverting back to its origins.  If that's what people want, then that's what people want.  It's not my cup of tea, and I for one hope that's not the outcome.  

I will say I don't have any answers for how to fix OW interactions, and I wish I did.  Perhaps the crafting is causing some, perhaps the hostility missions (and the inherent difficulty in finding them) is causing yet more.  I know I'm out every day looking for likely combat. Some days I find it, most days I don't.  I'm not big on World of Warships (or tanks) or Call of Duty, or any of those other arena based PVP games.  I liked the majority of the last patch for my part, but I know I'm a minority in that.  Here's hoping this doesn't completely ruin OW sailing.

• Like 4

There are several fixes for OW interaction.

One - missions must always be on enemy territory - depends on where we take mission, presents the vicinity regions. If no enemy regions in the frontier no mission available for anything above Rank 3.

Basically to take missions above Rank 3, take missions in a region next to a enemy region. Risky ? Challenging ? Good. It is a game about war. About conflict.

Two - to conquer a new region it must be next to a owned region.

P.S.- Please oh please devise a system where PvE server also takes advantage of the Conquest system. By all means keep PvP out of their server and make their only PvP experience to be Port Battles. Would this be of any interest in the PvE server ?

• Like 1

I will repeat myself: pvp zone should be the conquest mechanic, with  rewards for all participants, defenders would come and fight pvp.

Random zones without strategic value 3 times a day will just lure good pvpers away from rvr and conquest mech, then who will continue to play conquest except pvers?

And no, no one will learn pvp with such event, casual and noobs will just come, loose, loose dura, loose a ship, get no reward, not come anymore. Good pvpers will come in super golden trim/upgrades, pick the fight they will win. And win, otherwise they will simply run. But maybe it is just an event like the tournament, to please a few clans and the best players. If that's it let it be, but that will definitly not help the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wind said:

PvP server has people who pvp and those who don't. Forcing all into pvp is not a smart move.

No one is "forcing" anyone to participate in these events. I am not saying we should abandon all PvE elements from PvP servers.

But the thought that you can get special and rare rewards from fighting AI only without any other players involved just defeats the whole idea of a PvP server.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alado said:

how its said in my country : "esto es pan para hoy y hambre para mañana"

"This is bread for today and hungry for tomorrow." -Google translate

Dear admin,

These daily events will cater to the elite and organized clans. It will be these same players who are online for 6+ hours (seems some are online 24/7) that will populate the leaderboards. There will be no way for a casual player who shows up to play for a couple of "free-time" hours a day to break-through into the top 10. These events will be just another "phallic-measuring contest" to boost one's e-peen. Instead, reintroduce the "sealed bottle" treasures with exceptional mods, keeping the bottles rare as they are now, BUT make the travel to them randomly far away to make them worth the travel. This will keep the PvE crowd happy and allow for a target-rich PvP environment. While keeping the "events" and reintroducing the sea-faring sealed bottle travels you will be keeping both the PvP and the PvE happy as both type of players will enjoy their way of playing Naval Action.

If you keep pressing PvP only events you will continuously push away the PvE and casual gamer of Naval Action. There needs to be a harmonious blend of PvE with PvP to make Naval Action a great game. This is another way of forcing PvP onto gamers if they are to gather exceptional modifications. Same carrot, different stick.

I consider myself a "casual, hardcore gamer".

Casual, because I don't live my life in the game. When I got online, I was usually playing for 3-4 hours. During day, I popped in for 5 min. from time to time to keep updated on the Econ market turn over and to catch up on the daily goings on. Now the market is stagnant. Hardcore, because I love this game. I love the Age of Sail. But lately, this game has the feeling of a "PvP force-feeding". I enjoyed the e-con aspect of the game, the gathering of resources and the excitement of catching the next market turn-over. I enjoyed the ability of paying for a resource on the EU-trader when these resources were not available otherwise. This was smuggling. Now E-con is a drudgery forcing most of my playing time to sail to a port only to find out the specific resource I was hunting for is gone when it was the Trader Tool telling me that resources was there. E-con is broken. As a Level 50 crafter, I loved crafting mods, building ships & selling these on the market. Now the limited and rare resources farmed thru RNG has many feeling like it's a crap-shoot (rolling dice reference). Personally I had this happen to me few times, four farms of same resource and got nothing of the "fine" quality. What this "fine" farming caters to is players using alts. Now you are either pressured into purchasing another account for "alt-farming" to keep up resource farming or you sink. Because it is now crazy difficult to farm and smuggle goods, Crafting has declined and is dying.

Like I mentioned before, this game NEEDS a harmonious blend of PvE with PvP if it is to survive & thrive years into the future.

I love this game, the romanticism of the Age of Sail. But please remember... this should be a game, not a simulator, enjoyable by ALL players. So lets please find and keep a harmonious blend of PvE with PvP. Naval Action will be better for it.

Thank you for your hard work to make Naval Action. Peace.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Isaac Redwood said:

No one is "forcing" anyone to participate in these events. I am not saying we should abandon all PvE elements from PvP servers.

But the thought that you can get special and rare rewards from fighting AI only without any other players involved just defeats the whole idea of a PvP server.

That's where balance should come into play. Devs should know better that PvP should always give away the most drops. PvE on the other hand should give away same drops , but not that often. ex. PvP Rare drop 60%, PvE Rare drop 20%. Devs are responsible for balance and how things drop, but all players should be able to get same drops no matter where they participate. In this case their fastest option would be PvP. All those who take their time will get same items with x3 more time spent. ex. PvP = 1 week, PvE = 3 weeks.

All PvP and PvE participants should get rewards (rare wood, gold mods, notes, titles etc), but rare drop rate must be adjusted to each mode individually. Rare drops should include (blueprints, paint, labor etc..)

• Like 4

Essentially I like the idea of having PVP zones. Rewarding only the 10 on the leader boards is perhaps a tad harsh. It is my opinion that the latest ROE have had a negative impact on PVP for various reasons coupled with the whole rare wood fiasco.

Removing any sense of security even near Capital waters and making exceptional ships even more dearer than ever has been completely counter productive to "Naval Action". The current ROE protect the attacker making single or small fleet PVP attacking virtually risk free and is harming the sentiment of the casual player who wants venture about his home waters.

If good ships were easier to come by and the casual player had some sense of security, albeit in the mind only, the natural consequence should be more PVP. 

How about having some sort of mechanic where a component or writ of some sort, required for crafting exceptional ships and exceptional upgrades, is only to be obtained in this special PVP zone. Say 10 kills gives you a gold writ. With this writ you can build a gold ship or upgrade. Leader boards are fine but also give rewards for long term effort. as you build up kills so get better and better writs. So PVP will be encouraged as well as crafting. PVP enables the crafting of better ships.

Perhaps this mechanic can also be connected to some kind of prestige for instance which enables better skills ie: Crew Perks or "training" similar to the current Officer Perks. ie Crew Gunnery Perks, replacing the system of upgrades in ships for instance. All of these can only be obtained or enhanced in the PVP zone.

Edited by Sir William Hargood

I agree, I said it many times introduce participation reward such as new currency. Reward people for trying. I am not talking big amounts of coins, but small value after each fight is a good start. Such currency should be accumulated and used in Admiralty Shop. 

ex. 1 Rare Ship Cost = 12000 Event Coins

Participation reward 150 coins. That is 80 fights for those who did not make it into top 10. You want people to fight and grind, this is Naval Action .

• Like 1

We had newcomers up to rank 3 for a while, especially signaled by the ability to use fleets.

So why not use that same system as the driving force behind missions ?

And if the Conquest requires no leaps over hostile regions I am sure the way to missions is not that long even in regions like Caracas and Margarita is like 10 minutes max.

22 minutes ago, Wind said:

That's where balance should come into play. Devs should know better that PvP should always give away the most drops. PvE on the other hand should give away same drops , but not that often. ex. PvP Rare drop 60%, PvE Rare drop 20%. Devs are responsible for balance and how things drop, but all players should be able to get same drops no matter where they participate. In this case their fastest option would be PvP. All those who take their time will get same items with x3 more time spent. 

All PvP and PvE participants should get rewards (rare wood, gold mods, notes, titles etc), but rare drop rate must be adjusted to each mode individually. Rare drops should include (blueprints, paint, labor etc..)

Except that is not how things work, because PvE is predictable in frequency and outcome.  Let's say you have three hours.  You can fight 3x PvE battles with guaranteed outcomes (victory against AI is certain once you learn the "rules" to game AI in  any particular circumstance) and 20% chance of reward. So you significantly up your chance of the reward for the 3 hours spent, to the point that the chance is approaching the base chance of PvP.  Or you can invest 3 hours in PvP, but will you really have a 60% chance of reward?  No, because you are not gauranteed to even get a fight that results in a clear win / loss, and even if you do you are not guaranteed the win that gives you the 60% chance.  Your real chances are the probability of finding a fight and of winning a fight combined with the base chance of receiving the reward in PvP.  People will migrate toward PvE.

Edited by akd
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, akd said:

Except that is not how things work, because PvE is predictable in frequency and outcome.  Let's say you have three hours.  You can fight 3x PvE battles with guaranteed outcomes (victory against AI is certain once you learn the "rules" to game AI in  any particular circumstance) and 20% chance of reward. So you significantly up your chance of the reward for the 3 hours spent, to the point that the chance is approaching the base chance of PvP.  Or you can invest 3 hours in PvP, but will you really have a 60% chance of reward?  No, because you are not gauranteed to even get a fight that results in a clear win / loss, and even if you do you are not guaranteed the win that gives you the 60% chance.  Your real chances are the probability of finding a fight and of winning a fight combined with the base chance of receiving the reward in PvP.  People will migrate toward PvE.

So, how would you tune it?

How about adding achievement system to PvE. Means Kill 100 Vics and get reward equal to 1 PvP top 10 reward?

5 minutes ago, akd said:

The only way is to make some set of rewards exclusive to PvP.

Problem is , this game lacks the amount of items that can be used as rewards. For example, if Devs would add loot and divide it into Rare(PvE) and Exceptional(PvP) then we could have exchange missions for PvE and PvP , but each quality would have it's own items as final exchange reward. 

I think it sounds pretty good. 

I do see alot of complaints already about only the top 10 being rewarded. 
Perhaps you should reward "Currency" to people instead.

Then you can reward the top 50 (or even 100): 
1-10 = 100 Currency.
11-25 = 50 Currency. 
26-50 = 25 Currency.
51-100 = 10 Currency. 

Ofcourse you would have to add a new "Shop" where we can use our Currency. Personally i think this is the best idea. 
To expand on the "Currency/New Shop" suggestion i'd like to give some examples of what could be sold: 
- Rare 5th rate (Santa Cecilia as an example): 1000 Currency. (You can choose the exact build/setup you want ofcourse).
- Rare 5th rate BP (Santa Cecilia BP): 10.000 Currency. 
- Rare 1st rate (L'Ocean?): 2500 Currency.
- Rare 1st rate BP (L'Ocean?): 25.000 Currency. 
- Common 5th Rate (Surprise): 250 Currency. 
- Common 5th Rate BP: 2500 Currency.
- Rare Paint (Sangreé): 500 Currency. 
- Rare Paint BP (Sangreé): 5000 Currency.
- Common Paint (Ehh, Black/White Chequer?): 200 Currency.
- Common Paint BP (Black/White Chequer?): 2000 Currency.

Or with the current idea make it so drop chance for "rare" stuff gets lower the further down the "Leaderboard" you are but everyone gets something:
1-10 = 50% Chance for Rare Drop.
11-25 = 25% Chance for Rare Drop.
26-50 = 12.5% Chance for Rare Drop. 
51-100 = 6.25% Chance for Rare Drop.

The numbers i use are ofcourse made up and just made to provide an idea of what could be done. 
I'd also argue chance for Rare Drop from PvE should be less than half of what it is in PvP due to Risk/Reward.
PvE is basically "no risk" though the "iron man" thing might introduce some risk to it. So you can still get Rare Drops from PvE but chances are much lower than from PvP. 

Personally i prefer the idea of "Currency/New Shop". It eliminates RNG which has been one of the biggest complaints throughout the development of Naval Action.
- It will take longer for some people to get enough currency to buy Rare (Or even Ultra Rare/Exceptional) stuff but everyone has a chance and as long as you get in top 100 you gain currency. 
- Most importantly it eliminates RNG so you don't have #99 on Leaderboard get super lucky and get most rare item/ship ingame while a person that has been in top 10 several times still haven't gotten that item.
Furthermore when eliminating RNG Drops you can choose your own reward, why is this good? 
This is good because i might not want a any of the items i actually get, this would annoy the shite out of me to be frank.
Getting Paints/Ships/other rewards that i have no interest in because of RNG. 
- The only real downside i can see in the "Currency/New Ship" Suggestion is that those with more time will be able to earn more Currency than others, but in my eyes i don't see that as a downside. You can't make a game where this doesn't happen unless everyone have all the same things right away.
- A player with more time can earn more money from trading than a player with less time. A player with more time can earn more money/xp from playing the game than someone with less time. It is just how it works. 

Please keep in mind, this is for PvP server only. 
Feedback would be lovely but keep it constructive.
Cheers. 
Tommy Shelby. 

PS. I look forward to testing the upcoming patch, i sincerely hope it'll bring the PvP aspect of the game back to life! :)

• Like 24

I see where you're going on this Tommy, maybe refine it down a bit.  Make it more similar to World of Warcrafts BG system.  

Players in the pvp zone get a base participation credit for completing the event.  Lets call these PVP points.  Players who did well get more points based off how much damage they did or kills, similar to how money is awarded in missions now.  More you shoot, more you get.  

These points are then used on a "PvP Points Vender" in each countries capital where you can turn them into paints, blueprints and maybe like ship baubles like names, flags etc.  Make the points 100% cosmetic so those who do well can show off, but not affect OW combat in super ships or mods.  

Lets go one step further kill the pvp zone and create a lobby queue system that generates match ups based on BR and "leader board" rank and give each player basic ships and load outs to balance.  No mods. No officers.  mano a mano.  same point awarding system as above.  This will provide players with instant pvp action, but still not disrupt the OW balance.

boom, fixed naval action

• Like 3

Combine this = Great improvement.

On 21/11/2016 at 4:40 PM, admin said:

Hello captains

We would like to share some more information on the forthcoming updated events and gather your thoughts for final tuning. Previous events despite being open for all were not inclusive and allowed prizes for the select few. We wanted to retain the challenge component but fix the problem that the majority did not even have a chance to have fun in those events. 

PVP events.

PvP events will run 3 times a day in 2 pre-selected location in the Caribbean (alternating between shallow and deep water). The event is basically a zone where all captains can arrive in the ship they want and pvp against others. Zone will be clearly indicated on the map when it starts and server announcement will be published. Initial times for the events will be set for EU, Far east and US prime times. Sinking other players grants player points. By the end of the event top 10 victors will receive a special reward in form of the deadman's chest alternative granting ship customizations, blueprints upgrades and ship redeemables. Victory points will depend on the class of the vessel you sink. Player AI fleets will be disabled in that zone and will not arrive to battle when it starts. 

The only concern we have is the potential for the arranged battles (where players will give each other points for victory by alternating sinking and winning). But initially we are ok with that risk because due to small size of the zone trying to use under-crewed ships might just grant more victories to people who actively hunt for enemies.

PvE challenges

Two types of challenges will be added available from the lobby

• Ironman pve challenge: Player will be tested against constant stream of NPC reinforcements in the instance. 
  • Time trial pve challenge. Player will be tested on how fast he can sink 1-2 NPC enemies.

Event will run 24/7 and can be repeated multiple times until you are satisfied with the results. The leaderboards will be reset after the event ends giving everyone the chance to try to get the prize. 

If popular - challenges can be expanded in the future allowing the player to challenge himself in various ship to ship actions from demasting to boarding or sinking a first rate in a cutter.

Prizes

In the first iterations of the events top 10 captains on the leaderboards will be provided with a prize. Leaderboards will be reset when individual event ends. Because events will run all the time and pvp events are split into timezones everyone will have a chance, as time spent on the events will not matter and only player skill will decide the result. in the future tiered leaderboards can be implemented - but for the current online one will be enough (we think).

Lets see how it goes. And lets discuss

26 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

1-10 = 100 Currency.
11-25 = 50 Currency. 
26-50 = 25 Currency.
51-100 = 10 Currency. 

Ofcourse you would have to add a new "Shop" where we can use our Currency. Personally i think this is the best idea. 
To expand on the "Currency/New Shop" suggestion i'd like to give some examples of what could be sold: 
- Rare 5th rate (Santa Cecilia as an example): 1000 Currency. (You can choose the exact build/setup you want ofcourse).

Or with the current idea make it so drop chance for "rare" stuff gets lower the further down the "Leaderboard" you are but everyone gets something:

The numbers i use are ofcourse made up and just made to provide an idea of what could be done. 
I'd also argue chance for Rare Drop from PvE should be less than half of what it is in PvP due to Risk/Reward.
PvE is basically "no risk" though the "iron man" thing might introduce some risk to it. So you can still get Rare Drops from PvE but chances are much lower than from PvP. 

Personally i prefer the idea of "Currency/New Shop". It eliminates RNG which has been one of the biggest complaints throughout the development of Naval Action.
- It will take longer for some people to get enough currency to buy Rare (Or even Ultra Rare/Exceptional) stuff but everyone has a chance and as long as you get in top 100 you gain currency. 
- Most importantly it eliminates RNG so you don't have #99 on Leaderboard get super lucky and get most rare item/ship ingame while a person that has been in top 10 several times still haven't gotten that item.
Furthermore when eliminating RNG Drops you can choose your own reward, why is this good? 
This is good because i might not want a any of the items i actually get, this would annoy the shite out of me to be frank.
- The only real downside i can see in the "Currency/New Ship" Suggestion is that those with more time will be able to earn more Currency than others, but in my eyes i don't see that as a downside. You can't make a game where this doesn't happen unless everyone have all the same things right away.
- A player with more time can earn more money from trading than a player with less time. A player with more time can earn more money/xp from playing the game than someone with less time. It is just how it works. 

Cheers. 
Tommy Shelby. 

PS. I look forward to testing the upcoming patch, i sincerely hope it'll bring the PvP aspect of the game back to life! :)

Edited by Kair
  • Like 1

I agree with akg here, there should be no need for tunig as a special reward for a PvE challenge should not be there in the first place on a PvP server.

If people on the PvP servers still want to play this gamemode one could include it but without any materialistic reward (except a bit of gold and XP similar to missions). A leaderboard should be enough motivation for those who want their name up there. I mean, in the end the principle and appeal of the PvE challenges (e.g. throwing an endless stream of AI enemies against a player) is not much different than arcade games like say, Tower defense.

Edited by Sir Isaac Redwood

42 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

1-10 = 100 Currency.
11-25 = 50 Currency. 
26-50 = 25 Currency.
51-100 = 10 Currency. 

Cheers. 
Tommy Shelby. 

Now this is what I am talking about. Thanks for making this nice and clear. What do you think Devs? Add admiralty Shop and make things interesting for everyone. 

• Like 2

Agreed, the risk that this is just going to be something that casual or solo/small group players can't do worries me.

If thats the case, and in addition, if this turns out to be the only way to get the 'rare' BPs, then its basically game over for me.

Edited by Elouda
  • Like 1