Game-Labs Forum

Campaign - first battle help

Nelson Hornblower

A tricky one.. first time was a dissmal failure to me at medium (brig) level...  

It all depends on casualties suffered in the first part (taking the fort), so you must ttake the fort with minimal posible losses... so put one of the starting regiments (and his skirmishers)  threatening  US reinforcements path and  RUN for the fort with the rest.

If you did it well should have 4 decent regiments to defend, asign  best two to westside defenses, a third on reserve duty behind then and let the fourth out of the fort threatening US flank. Use artillery and reinforcements as  said by alado-  one of them to worn out the US regiment you feel is going to attack (usually the strongest of those at first line),  and reinforcements to work its flanks

Edited by JJPettigrew

• 3 years later...

I never actually try defending the fort anymore, as soon as the second phase starts I get my men running towards the river the enemy comes over. I can usually stop them at the river with my infantry and my artillery moves up behind them getting away from the Union ships blasting away. I usually take only a couple long range volleys from them before I'm out of range.

I have not watched the videos linked above but Pandakraut has some good videos on this. Shame he has no time to make more I really like them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jorlaan said:

I never actually try defending the fort anymore, as soon as the second phase starts I get my men running towards the river the enemy comes over. I can usually stop them at the river with my infantry and my artillery moves up behind them getting away from the Union ships blasting away. I usually take only a couple long range volleys from them before I'm out of range.

I have not watched the videos linked above but Pandakraut has some good videos on this. Shame he has no time to make more I really like them.

Yeah idk why he's not already responded, maybe he's on holiday or something. 

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I tried something different the other day on CSA Potomac legendary and got interesting results, and thought I'd add it here. 

In the first half of the battle I didn't cross the river but lined up in a defensive position in the woods on the starting bank.  I used the cav to goad the AI infantry and skirm south to the river, and because the AI is aggressive it went for my trap. When the reinforcements arrived I sent them flanking left and right and wiped out the union troops completely for fewer losses than the usual push across the river approach.  I haven't seen anyone play this strategy on youtube.   

Edited by Keith68