Game-Labs Forum

Using the road system

One of the things I have noticed in the game is the AI inability to use the road system when reinforcements appear.

the AI travels across country at all times often slowing regiments down for rough terrain where the route following the road system would be far quicker. No army goes cross country until the very last minute so as not to exhaust troops unnecessarily.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Roads don't actually improve the speed of units, just that it's classified as open ground and thusly troops move at 100% Speed.  But yea, it would be nice for the AI to learn how to use open ground to move their units faster.

Something tells me someone's been playing a bit of Steel Division recently to make this suggestion. ;)

In "Wargame: European Escalation" when you select units and order them to "fast move" to a location they will automatically head for a road and use it to get close to the destination before going into the field to where you ordered them.  I think something similar can be applied to this game.  In some of the battles with so many brigades it can get very tedious to draw lines along the roads for each one when trying to get them to the front as quickly as possible without losing to much condition.

22 hours ago, The Soldier said:

Something tells me someone's been playing a bit of Steel Division recently to make this suggestion. ;)

No actually a old hand at 'Scourge of war Gettysburg' a game where fatigue made alot of difference to how you fought the game tired troops arriving on the field of battle would be exhausted sooner therefore they would not be able to fight an peek effiency if a game that old can have it coded in then i am sure this one could with real good effects as it is your troops only get tired when you double time the them. Can you imaging how tiring it would to cross a river that has boggy ground either side then have to march into battle without a rest. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 1:46 AM, Llewellyn Jones RN said:

No actually a old hand at 'Scourge of war Gettysburg' a game where fatigue made alot of difference to how you fought the game tired troops arriving on the field of battle would be exhausted sooner therefore they would not be able to fight an peek effiency if a game that old can have it coded in then i am sure this one could with real good effects as it is your troops only get tired when you double time the them. Can you imaging how tiring it would to cross a river that has boggy ground either side then have to march into battle without a rest. 

One thing that no game tends to simulate is how often moving is impossible because you have no idea where you re, where you are going, and the map is old and of wrong scale. You can't just march through a forest in a straight line. Hell, you can't march anywhere in a straight line because you're not a bird with somekind of supernatural abilities to follow earths magnetic poles or whatever. In fact, getting there is usually the biggest problem(logistics and movement).  

Gamewise such a thing shouldn't be implemented, since that would just piss everyone off(I didn't order that brigade there etc). However, it feels a bit stupid that the best moves in this game are generally those that were tactically, operationally and strategically impossible in the real situation. Ie. there is not a brigade guarding a crossing since it was impossible for the opposite side to use the crossing historically; but here we can march the entire army through the same spot...

Edited by Karri

I don't mind this since occupying woods is so important in this game. A slower unit in the woods is worth many times over a faster unit in the open. There are already so many ways of intercepting enemy AI forces and being able to ambush them while on roads would lead to too much cheesy behaviour from the player.