Game-Labs Forum

In The Heart Of The Sea

Hyperion74

Ron Howard made a film of this book. It is about the last voyage of the whaler Essex. Essex was destroyed by the whale that they really pissed off.

That incident was the basis for the novel Moby Dick. We probably won't see broadsides but there's a ship with sails and a really big and angry whale.

I think that I found the trailer on IMDB. I invite you lads to take a look at it. The title of the film is the same as the book. I canna remember if the book is historical fiction or history. If anyone has read it, please share.

Sorry about the canna, I'm reading Outlander. Lots of Scotts in there.

• Like 1

I watched the trailer, scarcely daring to hope it would be worth my time. At first I thought 'hmm, a small ship with twenty-one men aboard bound for the unknown world. A talented and dedicated soul could do a lot with this..." What little hope there was slowly turned into doubt, and at 1:35 that doubt turned into total disappointment.

What I wouldn't give for something original these days...

It does have a good represention of a Nantuckett whaler and Ron Howard is a very good film maker. Whales do swim on the surface, The story of Essex, which is true, has never been told in a theatrical drama. Though I abhor the practice of whaling, there was a lot of good drama derived from the industry in the 17 and 1800's. Agreed, there have been too many film versions made of Moby Dick, the last one that was made by NBC really sucked. (they sailed a sloop in that one which is far too small for make a profit) The two with Gregory Peck, the 1956 in which he played Ahab, and the 1998 in which he played the preacher, Patrick Stewart played Ahab, are the ones to look at. I still plan to see In the Heart of the Sea because it is a Ron Howard film and it has a ship. The story of Essex was intreauging as well. I have seen at least 2 documenterys about it.

Just my oppinion.

• Like 1

It does have a good represention of a Nantuckett whaler and Ron Howard is a very good film maker. Whales do swim on the surface, The story of Essex, which is true, has never been told in a theatrical drama. Though I abhor the practice of whaling, there was a lot of good drama derived from the industry in the 17 and 1800's. Agreed, there have been too many film versions made of Moby Dick, the last one that was made by NBC really sucked. (they sailed a sloop in that one which is far too small for make a profit) The two with Gregory Peck, the 1956 in which he played Ahab, and the 1998 in which he played the preacher, Patrick Stewart played Ahab, are the ones to look at. I still plan to see In the Heart of the Sea because it is a Ron Howard film and it has a ship. The story of Essex was intreauging as well. I have seen at least 2 documenterys about it.

Just my oppinion.

I'm disappointed, which means now I get to go the the theater with very low expectations. If it wows me, great! If not, ha, I was right!

There is the whaler Charles W. Morgan which Howard may have used to build a set. Although Wier used thr HMS Rose/Suprise for long shoys, he did have a mock up built and I think put on gimbles to control his shots. This is all sceculation. I'll present more info as I get it. Hell, he could even used Surprise. She passed a a whaler and to my knowlage, she still belongs to one of the studios who made M&C. Oh, I love movies and the making of them.