Game-Labs Forum

Ship's Wheel

Cochrane

Some friends of mine (CAD designer, rapid prototype dude and fabricator) are wondering about interest in a usb ship's wheel with force feedback. (I'd like to see one that is so powerful it could take 3 men to manage in a gale, but I think there might be liability issues.) Anyone interested in backing a kickstarter?

• Like 1

Interesting concept however I can envision a few draw backs. It would be big. It would need a really long USB cable. You'd need at least two other guys when sailing in a gale and you'd have to give them beer. Don't fret about liability. The two other guys were drunk.

Interesting concept however I can envision a few draw backs. It would be big. It would need a really long USB cable. You'd need at least two other guys when sailing in a gale and you'd have to give them beer. Don't fret about liability. The two other guys were drunk.

Really big. (but that's a feature). USB cable - no problem. However, I'm pretty sure rum would be the appropriate beverage.

I worked in Wargaming before. The merchandising department was trying to sell vibroseats (that simulated the shaking of the tank seats). It sold like 2 seats overall.

The kickstarter might work, but not sure it is going to be very usable in games. Wheel was not helmed by a Captain and required several sailors to operate.

I worked in Wargaming before. The merchandising department was trying to sell vibroseats (that simulated the shaking of the tank seats). It sold like 2 seats overall.

The kickstarter might work, but not sure it is going to be very usable in games. Wheel was not helmed by a Captain and required several sailors to operate.

I think standard mode will be manageable by one person, but hardcore mode would require several and they would still run the risk of broken ribs.

Cochran, my dear friend, while rum is far more appropriate, in the real world good rum is expensive. Beer will work. It don't even haf to be good beer. Then again cheep rum could be served so never mind. One could even feed the helmsmen the counterfeit Twinkies.  BONUS!

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Based on this input we have determined:

• Will be somewhat smaller than authentic at 40" diameter
  • Optional large plate steel stand or small bolt plate for floor mounting
  • Normal setting will be easily controlled by one person (invalid equivalent)
  • Hardcore setting will generally require 2 able bodied people at all times and there will be a significant risk of injury
  • Wheel will incorporate microphone and speakers and will come with a voice attack software license
  • There will not be any plumbing connection - provide your own bucket
  • Each wheel will come with one six-pack of beer (must be legal drinking age in your jurisdiction. Void where prohibited by law.)

Who wants to bid on the prototype? NA shipping included.