Game-Labs Forum

Blobs and Mobs of Men

chichetr

I REALLY, REALLY want to like this game, I really do.

I have some 50+ hours on UGG and I have to say I definitely enjoyed my time with it. However, I DO have a major issue with unit formations in the game that I was hoping would be fixed by one of the patches (and it wasn't). It seems that literally all formations become MASSIVE blobs of men and they advance like a mob. The AI absolutely refuses to hold ranks and I have to say it ruins the experience for me.

They worked day in, day out, on drill, at ALL levels to maintain unit formations and discipline. That's not to say that in the din of battle there wasn't confusion, but advancing and formations were absolutely second nature to the men. I don't mind the men retreating in mobs/blobs as a panicked mob of men would do exactly that.

Another frustration is a total lack of formations itself. There are no options to go from say column by division into battle line formation, marching column, wheeling...etc. Formations are used for different things and again having one formation of a blob of soldiers is disappointing.

Like I said, I really, really want to like this game and am hoping that this gets fixed in this coming game.

Cheers,

Formations are definitely cleaner in UGG:CV, more apparent with big units (1500+) .    

On this subject  , my first impresion when I realised I could not order wich formation was to be used was despair, but after a pair of battle confirmed me that unit commanders themselves adopted the most appropiate formation changing from double colums to lines etc... I am appreciating it as a bonus (specially  in big map battles)....   BTW I am sure you will apprecite the new  ability to detach/reattach skirmishers and merge/separate units from same division 

• Like 2

I think the most frustrating thing is that ENTIRE brigades (like 6 ranks deep) all fire at the same time which is ridiculous. Brigades are made out of several individual regiments (which look like they are separated in regiments in this game in one unit). The brigade's regiments need to deploy into line of battle and not all fire via one massive, disorganized blob. Would it be that difficult to make brigades deploy in line of battle?

9 minutes ago, chichetr said:

I think the most frustrating thing is that ENTIRE brigades (like 6 ranks deep) all fire at the same time which is ridiculous. Brigades are made out of several individual regiments (which look like they are separated in regiments in this game in one unit). The brigade's regiments need to deploy into line of battle and not all fire via one massive, disorganized blob. Would it be that difficult to make brigades deploy in line of battle?

I allways thought the opposite,  miniatures rulesets at brigade level allways make ridiculous brigade formations (i.e. Fire6 fury) thats the reason I prefer regimental scale (as in "Regimental Fire & fury"  or Johny reb) ...but to represent big battles Im  quite liking the compromise reached in this game , instead lots of units and huge maps

10 hours ago, JJPettigrew said:

Formations are definitely cleaner in UGG:CV, more apparent with big units (1500+) .    

On this subject  , my first impresion when I realised I could not order wich formation was to be used was despair, but after a pair of battle confirmed me that unit commanders themselves adopted the most appropiate formation changing from double colums to lines etc... I am appreciating it as a bonus (specially  in big map battles)....   BTW I am sure you will apprecite the new  ability to detach/reattach skirmishers and merge/separate units from same division 

You can do that?? How :D ?

not with my gaming PC now so cannot provide screenshot and telling from memory is hard to remenber the exact picture of the icon but all orders icons (the ones you use to double kick, charge...)  have an associated tooltip.....

Detach skirmishers : Select an infantry unit , one of the order icons will tell detach skirmishers. Push it and a new skirmishers unit appears next to the parent unit (strenght being a % of current parent strenght) 

Reattach skirmishers : Select an skirmisher unit previously detached from his parent , you should note a order icons (the picture is the same of detach with a ban bar over it) . Push it and the skirmisher unit will return back to the parent unit and merge with it (until now havent found a distance limit)

Merge unit. ...  have two infantry units of the same division near by if you select any of them you should note an icon whose tooltoip says something as "join division unit" . push it and it will march to the other unit and merge with it, making a new unit with the combined strenght of both. (do not know if iit only works up to a total strenght, but with first campaign scenario for union you can test it works , quite useful to assault the bridge) until now only tested with two units.

Separate: The "superunit" merged with the previous option has an order icon that allows you to separate both original units

Edited: BTW feeling strange explaining this to a "Ultimate General Focus Tester " :unsure::P

Edited by JJPettigrew