Game-Labs Forum

The big reset

Bubba Smith

Question

I know there is a lot on the developement teams' plate but our clan has been asking this question often as in frequently (Princess Bride reference sorry). When is the reset supposed to be released approximately of course, what will or can be reset and will we get to keep anything from this beta version? 

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

Definitive reset will happen right before the release of the game: Everything will be wiped - all assets, ships, resources, posts, buildings etc.. Only xp and crafting xp will be saved. But new historical ranks will be introduced above rear admiral. Crafting ranks wont be changed we believe. 

Other resets might happen if data changes significantly. If data changes there could be 2 types of resets

• remove old content completely if we need to test the speed and time needed to reacquire that content (forthcoming ship wipe is one of such resets)
  • remove it and replace it with new content if we don't need to test the acquisition time/method and ease of gettting that content
  • Like 16

I wouldn't be so sure about pop continuing to crash after release. I do know entire clans that have quit until the "final reset". They are basically done beta testing the game as they see it and are going to wait until release to come back.

Almost all I've done the last couple of weeks is log in and build trader cutters to grind my crafting XP up. It's just hard to be enthused about gathering wealth and materials when there's a ship wipe in the near future and a full map and economy wipe "eventually". I actually think participation will leap up when the game is finally released and no more resets are looming.

Edited by Slamz

4 hours ago, The Spud said:

we'll be sailing first rates again within a week.

Really the problem Its first rates?

Except port batles and some missions, Where you see 1rates?

This game Its ruin by the obsesion of first rates. Im sure that all that want that first rates are rares, have one in port.

• Like 3

On 9.11.2016 at 8:25 AM, Rychu Karas said:

promised are only both lvls. So don't pay too much attention to your pixel wealth: ]

Exactly,  and game is early access,  still in development,  so if a wipe is needed,  just do it,  after Release u can stockpile ur money,stuff and ships for the Rest of ur life, but while testing phase i dont care to loose anything,  replacing lost stuff is so easy right now 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2016 at 6:42 AM, The Spud said:

In case of that shipwipe, i'm gonna play the devils advocate here, but shouldn't we wipe like all resources too? Because otherwise people will just be stacking labour hour contracts and materials until after the shipwipe, and we'll be sailing first rates again within a week.

Well, if the devs are going to compensate people for the lost ships we'll be more or less fully recovered in no time anyway. This of course assumes they decide not to do the economy recovery test (release day scenario) at the same time.

IMO the crux of the problem for the devs is converting the old ship classes to the new system. Let's face it, any automated "you get this for that" method is going to seem unfair to somebody... maybe a lot of somebodies. So our ships get 'compensated' instead of converted. I guess the compensation will have to be labor hours/materials, so people can reproduce the 'equivalent' quality of ships they lost.

I do hope that the 'snowflake' ships are available to the general population after the wipe... BPs included. People who won them have had their fun. IMO if you wanted us to buy into the EA testing role, having exclusive slightly overpowered (not all but some are) 'trophy' ships was a mistake. It introduced a significant pixel possession that people thought they 'earned' and therefore expected to be able to keep. But hindsight is 20/20 for the armchair Admiral. :rolleyes:

Edited by Angus McGregor
  • Like 1

I assume that this means we are all going to have to sail out to the distant ports to re-set-up our outposts and buildings? :/

I assume that besides the Yacht we will all get at least one, maybe several ships as redeemables as a thanks for taking parts in alpha/beta testing and sticking with it.

Edited by Jacob Elston
  • Like 1

On 9.11.2016 at 1:42 PM, The Spud said:

In case of that shipwipe, i'm gonna play the devils advocate here, but shouldn't we wipe like all resources too? Because otherwise people will just be stacking labour hour contracts and materials until after the shipwipe, and we'll be sailing first rates again within a week.

PS: Please remove if we don't want any discussions going in this section of the forum.

On 9.11.2016 at 0:03 PM, admin said:

Definitive reset will happen right before the release of the game: Everything will be wiped - all assets, ships, resources, posts, buildings etc.. Only xp and crafting xp will be saved. But new historical ranks will be introduced above rear admiral. Crafting ranks wont be changed we believe. 

Other resets might happen if data changes significantly. If data changes there could be 2 types of resets

• remove old content completely if we need to test the speed and time needed to reacquire that content (forthcoming ship wipe is one of such resets)
  • remove it and replace it with new content if we don't need to test the acquisition time/method and ease of gettting that content

@The Spud: They already aswer your question ;) Only XP will not wiped

On 10.11.2016 at 3:44 PM, Spawnie said:

Exactly,  and game is early access,  still in development,  so if a wipe is needed,  just do it,  after Release u can stockpile ur money,stuff and ships for the Rest of ur life, but while testing phase i dont care to loose anything,  replacing lost stuff is so easy right now 

Dear God... Bless this reasonable man with health,fortune and wealth :)

• Like 2

On 11/9/2016 at 5:03 AM, admin said:

Any idea as to approximately when this will happen so we can prepare? 

On 09/11/2016 at 0:03 PM, admin said:

After the wipe: 'Only xp and crafting xp will be saved.' What about rank? Will Rear Admirals be sailing Cutters initially?

They should remove all now when the ship wipe comes.  Except xp of course.

The economy is pretty messed up at the moment, hard to tell if that is working at all.  Like at least at some point people were doing massive amounts of money with trading, which broke the economy right there, and the rest after.

Question is, how we get people to actually test this?  As they may want to wait for launch right after this, or they dont play that efficiently, as they will lose everything soon after again.  Or will we, what is the launch date?

Combat testing probably would need some ships as well, so after wipe this can get harder.  Some arena mode with predefined ships, or something similar.

Population will fall before wipes and launch.  Kinda sounds obvious.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

If this is about the proposed crafting changes (no more crafting levels, basic, common, fine, MC and exc) and the mention of a wipe in that topic. For what I have understood about that, if they remove the crafting levels they have no other choise then to wipe all ships as they can't be transfered to the new system. If you read further down the topic, the devs stated they would find a way to compensate for the lost ships. So only if they go trough with this crafting change, they will have to wipe all ships, but they will compensate them in one way or another. If this is about the wipe before release, I believe the earliest they would be able to release it is March 2017.

1 hour ago, admin said:

PS: Please remove if we don't want any discussions going in this section of the forum.

Edited by The Spud
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2016 at 1:44 AM, Spawnie said:

I don't think anyone cares whether its early access or not. The population of PvP Two USA for example has dropped so much over the past few weeks, I rarely see it exceed 130 people. A wipe of all assets will probably mean you won't be seeing any more than 50 people on PvP Two. By release the server will be dead, or it will be merged. You will then see maybe 500-600 people peak on the EU server. 

Edited by Jean Pual Vilvenue