Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming shipbuilding changes [Heavily Moderated]

I dont want to leave a Battle because i dont have enough shots left. Someone said in another Thread that it only happend once in history(?) that someone went out of ammo. So in my opinion this shouldnt get into the game. Finding good PVP is hard enough atm.

Read what was suggested few pages back, you will have ammo to fight. It will be weaker vs crafted. 

Im torn, I understand why but not sure which way to turn!

1. Test Ammo changes asap, with the current fleets available

2. I think the exponential increase for Fine woods might have balanced the Exceptional only ships (ie. 10-30-90-270)

3. I like the idea of crafting the exact Trim/Spec of ship, So we can put 180 fine Live oak in for X,Y armor/HP and 30 Teak or Fir for smaller amount or planking/speed bonus [please]?

4. Maybe certain Mods should be replaced by Officers which increase in bonus with experience over time? and then can get sunk in the end (lives)

5. I still dont like 1 dura for all ships idea, because people can easily loose ships and a lot of effort could have been put into crafting that LGV or Connie.. I understand 1st rate 1 dura.

6. Not sure what is meant by a drop of certain Epic items only, everyone should be able to craft all ships, unless you bring in Premium bought ships (which I would understand).

7. This 2 month wait might mean people will now wait again to see what happens, rather than be full on testing the Region Hostility, not sure what can be done here, but seperate server would dilute player base further

Edited by lokii

It did not cover PvE, it did not cover a large playerbase as a the event technically ended 5mins after spawn and it disappointed a buttload of people - this is exactly my point - you partake in something that you are most likely not going to enjoy jsut to still see new and itneresting stuff. You do that repeatedly and you will simply get frustrated.

Except that you could find notes hinting at the position of enemy ships by AI, these notes were often posted to chat by the community and in some cases even recorded on the forum, DAYS in advance of the event. You literally didn't even have to hunt for notes, with how many people were posting them to chat. Event time slot was an issue yes, but when it was removed for rework one of the things said by admin was that event times would be made random so that different timezones and areas on the map get (easier) opportunities to get the prize. You had, and will have in the future, full access to this interesting stuff with the caveat of *GASP* you actually play the game. The biggest issue I saw with the event was that players sailed out expecting for all participants to get a participation award, and then whining when the early bird got the worm. For the record, I participated in several events. I got nothing. I still had fun going after enemy ships that I suspected to have cargo.

I don't care about click to craft but I also paid for a full game and not for 80% of it. Real life wouldn't allow me to aprtake in tehse events plus I wouldn't want to waste my time on events I don't enjoy such as tournaments. - If I am interested in a certain ship only offered in a tournament how would I gain it while spending my limited time in an enjoyable manner.

I miss the old games where games would give you guns and tell you to kill people without ahving to unlock the gun in frustrating events first!

You payed for an early access title. You paid for the privilege to help with development, with the understanding that things will change drastically during development, that wipes will happen, and with the understanding that some ships would be premium/event ships. From your final comment, it appears that this is not the kind of game you enjoy. So I ask, if you don't enjoy playing the game, why are you here?

• Like 1

Yet, you have said before that capsizing ships by ramming is absolutely not ok and it is now protected by physics for ships not to capsize.

Quite a big difference between being hit on the hull by another ship at relatively low speed, vs wind pressing on canvas far from a ship's center of gravity. Too much canvas, and yes your gunports will go under and you will founder. Remember the Vasa?

With regards to the Ammo discussion...I played PotBS from the very beginning and honestly who cared about ammo?  It was just another crafted item that you bought and put on your ship.  If you were silly enough to get into a long fight and ran out that was your mistake.  Actually it was more of a pain in the butt because you had to manage how much chain, ball, and grape you had on your ship.

Dont see ammo being a big deal and dont see a lot of people complaining about it either.

Personally I wish the Devs would fix the really broken things than working on stuff that does not need fixing.

With regards to the Ammo discussion...I played PotBS from the very beginning and honestly who cared about ammo?  It was just another crafted item that you bought and put on your ship.  If you were silly enough to get into a long fight and ran out that was your mistake.  Actually it was more of a pain in the butt because you had to manage how much chain, ball, and grape you had on your ship.

Dont see ammo being a big deal and dont see a lot of people complaining about it either.

Personally I wish the Devs would fix the really broken things than working on stuff that does not need fixing.

That's correct. People knew how much ammo they needed and it quickly became a part of a Captains life at sea. It's very good starting ground for new players who are trying Econ for the first time. Selling ammo was the first basic profit tool and new guys liked it. 

• Like 1

Wipes were always promised and guaranteed. 

We will find the ways to replace current ships with new ones - but we are not yet sure how exactly close they could be.  

There is of course an alternative is to move development to a test server and leave the main early access server alone until release. 

TLDR - we can't test the game without wipes.

redeemables tbh im not sure how it would work for npc cap onlys like the indefat and endy tho unless yall make them craftable to because i have a blue indefat i capped that i love

You can please ALL of the people some of the time.

And you can please SOME of the people all of the time.

But you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time!

The above is a well known saying and no matter what changes will take place in this game, there will always be people that will welcome the changes and those that don't welcome the changes. This is a fact of life and you either accept it or you don't. I am sure the Devs are trying their best to get this game to suit most of the people, rather than all of the people who love this game, so you either accept the changes or you don't.

Yes it will really piss off a lot of players and it will also be accepted by a lot of players. Whether you support the changes or not is entirely your decision. But at the end of the day, everyone will be in the same boat (so to speak) when the final wipe takes place before final release. 

I am a reasonable newcomer to this game and yes I play PVE, so I can't really vouch for those of you who like to play PVP. But personally I love playing this game, as it has a lot to offer. AS far as games in the Age of Sail is concerned, this game as far as appearance is concerned is the best that has become available to date. It has wonderful scenery and ships, beautifully rendered and it has some of the most realistic battles and fire power of any game ever made for this genre. I spend most of my time trading and a bit of crafting, rather than take part in battles, but enjoy this aspect of the game equally as much.

I have built up a great player base in this game with more ships than I could wish for, most of which I have bought and some I have crafted myself. So far this game has given me hours of enjoyment and without the help from some of the more experienced players, I would still be trying to fathom out how everything works. So I thank those who helped me to understand how to do crafting and understanding more about the game.

I welcome most of the new changes that are proposed and if it will make the game better, then I am all for it. When the game is finally wiped before the final release at least I will not find starting again from rock bottom, such a struggle as I did when I first bought the game three months ago. It is a great game and I just hope that the majority of you, will accept what changes need to take place, to make this game a success.

Keep up the good work Devs. 

• Like 5

You payed for an early access title. You paid for the privilege to help with development, with the understanding that things will change drastically during development, that wipes will happen, and with the understanding that some ships would be premium/event ships. From your final comment, it appears that this is not the kind of game you enjoy. So I ask, if you don't enjoy playing the game, why are you here?

I Know exacly what i paid for... i play this game since the first weeks of Sea Trials back in  2014, and NEVER until de first round of events de Devs had mentioned anything about ships only for events and tournaments! So please.. dont tell me or other people what they did or did not payed for! 

Edited by ArmoredKorps
  • Like 2

I Know exacly what i paid for... i play this game since the first weeks of Sea Trials back in early 2014, and NEVER until de first round of events de Devs had mentioned anything about ships only for events and tournaments! So please.. dont tell me or other people what they did or did not payed for! 

No need to fight. Devs know better what to do and they read all your posts. This is a natural reaction from people who love this game. I do have some great news and can assure all players that this game will get better and better with time. So, don't be scared to test new things while we have time to test them. After release we will all become equal. 

• Like 1

I am hopeful that what you envision is a system of acquiring ships similar to EVE online where the basic hull is standard and the specific fittings you put on it are what determine the "quality" and "usefulness" of the finished ship.

Buying/making ammo and gunpowder SHOULD be a part of your prep for battle - searching every port for "fine fir" should NOT!

As for a wipe - I stand to lose more than most (I own 11 first & second rates) but it is what I agreed to - so OK. I do think a system of redeemables would be worth it.

---

XP earned by a ship I craft should be a commodity I can give to my first officer or sell - it is TOTALLY useless to me!

• Like 2

No need to fight. Devs know better what to do and they read all your posts. This is a natural reaction from people who love this game. I do have some great news and can assure all players that this game will get better and better with time. 

I'm not fighting... just making a point!  :D

Dear Devs,

I do appreciate your effort to try and improve the game, but this is not an improvement in my opinion.
The newest patch has only been out for a very short time and this statement by you sounds to me like you have already given up on the fine wood resources.

I am really disappointed to hear this. I am not sure if you have given this system enough time so crystallize out.

If you, the devs, want us to properly test this system, there should be a proper wipe instead of this half-hearted slagging (no offense).

Shipwise I am doing really, really well... but if you really want to test this. Take my ships and my resources and lets start from scratch. Then you will see changes! If not, just release the game already and let this be another one of those mediocre games...

Kind regards,

J. Swigglebottoms

P.S. I like some of the changes though, exchanging hold space and stuff. Thats good :)

Edited by John Swigglebottoms
  • Like 1

I do hope you will be able to sacrifice some hold space for hull quality too, for example the french ships were known for having smaller holds but also having strong hulls and nice lines, it would be nice to pick from all manner of things of what you want to focus on but I am perhaps overthinking and over complicating the suggestion. I look forwards to toying with this system it seems like a very interesting one and will put in for some interesting results, I love a good slider.

• Like 1

I Know exacly what i paid for... i play this game since the first weeks of Sea Trials back in  2014, and NEVER until de first round of events de Devs had mentioned anything about ships only for events and tournaments! So please.. dont tell me or other people what they did or did not payed for! 

To put things in perspective

Promised early access content from our Steam green light page. 

E8A2AYI.png

We prefer to underpromise and sometimes overdeliver on promises. I think we have already done 3x more of what we promised. But for some reason people are still unhappy with something.

We never said that there will be no event ships.

Events available to everyone everyone can get the event ship (or just buy it). I am sure someone in your nation have one of the event vessels that you can buy.

• Like 3

I am hopeful that what you envision is a system of acquiring ships similar to EVE online where the basic hull is standard and the specific fittings you put on it are what determine the "quality" and "usefulness" of the finished ship.

I believe that part of the problem the developers face is that they don't have as much flexibility in terms of features that they can tweak or the degree to which they can tweak them as designers of an (entirely fictional) spacecraft.  Warships in the Age of Sail (particularly those that were ship-rigged) simply did not differ from each other in all that many parameters.  A good comparison would be with steam warships from the early 20th century.  As anyone who has played around with the excellent ship designer in NWS' game "Rule the Waves" knows, there are a huge number of variables in warship design in that era that simply aren't present in sailing ships (e.g., hull, deck and turret armor, nature of fuel (coal/oil), torpedo protection, fire control, primary secondary and tertiary armament, turret design and placement, torpedo tube design and placement, etc).  

In addition, ship design variation in NA has to fulfill two separate (and not entirely compatible) functions:  (i) be varied enough to keep experienced players interested up to and beyond the highest command and crafting experience levels; and (ii) soak up all of the "money" that is generated in the game through trade, combat etc. so that the price of everything doesn't go through the roof over time. 

I'm afraid these limited parameters and conflicting goals will create unhappy results (aberrations like "fine woods" and more probably general inflation) until players are given something beyond ships to meaningfully spend their money on.  And no, I'm not referring to Yorkshire Puddings or Cheshire Cheeses, more like improved fortifications and ground combat units.

Edited by Wrongway Peter Peachfuzz

Events available to everyone everyone can get the event ship (or just buy it). I am sure someone in your nation have one of the event vessels that you can buy.

No, the events was not available to everyone, not everyone can play the game every day, not everyone can play the game all day...

3maps ??? where? when? how can i acces it ?

game shipped in 3stages . looks like the order is mixed up ;)

The maps was for Sea Trials before the OW came along!

Fine (blue), Mastercraft (purple), Common (green) are not used and thus are useless. Nobody makes them and nobody buys them. 

Under consideration

• Other experimental ideas like 1 durability ships and other changes

I'm often using captured 1 dura ships, which come in all sort of varieties.

Edited by Diodo

I think this is a step in the right direction.  Look forward to making hard design and crafting choices.

As for upgrades - they would need a look at too - not just eradication.

Now, about that wipe...  Players that have stuff taken away should get a commensurate compensation (redeemable(s)).

That's where 'Default' reduced damage ammo comes in place. When you run out, you will AUTO switch to 'Default'.  'Default' ammo should be smaller and lighter and will be on every ship until you buy much better Player crafted ammo in Port. That was my idea on how to deal with limited ammo. Potbs uses the same system and people love it.  

Well I don't see the added benefit of this mechanic, sure the balls on a ship were not endless, but I would assume they would be addequatly equipped with cannonballs for multiple engagements. I see no value or fun in running out of cannonballs, especialy if you don't realy run out of cannonballs but have to switch to a default ball with less damage and less penetration (don't know how this works in Potbs).

I get that it might be a good thing to implement regarding the choise to take less load so you run faster, but wouldn't it be better gameplaywise to just say a higher calibre gun takes up a higher amount of cargo space (as the balls are heavier). But don't relate this to a quantity of shot you have aboard. This will give you a speed/cargo benefit when running lighter calibre, beneficial for fast raiding ships.