Game-Labs Forum
SteelSandwich

Admiraal de Ruyter - 1806

Altho I would be more than happy to say: yes - its nothing but a rumor.

I build this vessel with the intention to send it in to the devs. But that didnt happen.

You will be most likely going to be able to vote on this vessel in the next ship poll. Wich is announced soon (TM) (-> end of january +/-)

I thought it was devs deciiion to include at least one dutch ship despite player polls, what a pity.

I dont have much faith in polls. Some people only wants that we sail an entire roster of british or usa ships.

So I went ahead and modeled that ship anew - completely. No I have no confirmation that this vessel is gonna be ingame.

But I had a lot of fun modeling that lady once again since I really feel I improved my ability to model ships a lot. I am not 100% done but already the vessel looks beautiful. No colours this time. Only texture I use is transparency for the stern windows. Some rudementary lighting and some crude guns on the weatherdecks.

wreker_front.thumb.jpg.98972c424243c2baad79c76b39dea4be.jpgfrontview_2.thumb.jpg.7620d0cb7f8107e271a717b22b45bc00.jpg

gunport_lid.thumb.jpg.55add506dd78e41005d6a1800e39ba3a.jpgwreker_back.thumb.jpg.e214dcecbf1d280ba36518ae84708983.jpgwreker_behind.thumb.jpg.fb56d65986d1035c16c5d8efb92e74ec.jpg

view_astern.thumb.jpg.91f9a84f51df0291d06b7a5afd44e8e6.jpg58ab5679bd411_view_astern_officercabins.thumb.jpg.7a88bf16a6e97b759b4f00560464fafa.jpg

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, BungeeLemming said:

So I went ahead and modeled that ship anew - completely. No I have no confirmation that this vessel is gonna be ingame.

But I had a lot of fun modeling that lady once again since I really feel I improved my ability to model ships a lot. I am not 100% done but already the vessel looks beautiful. No colours this time. Only texture I use is transparency for the stern windows. Some rudementary lighting and some crude guns on the weatherdecks.

Hide contents

wreker_front.thumb.jpg.98972c424243c2baad79c76b39dea4be.jpgfrontview_2.thumb.jpg.7620d0cb7f8107e271a717b22b45bc00.jpg

gunport_lid.thumb.jpg.55add506dd78e41005d6a1800e39ba3a.jpgwreker_back.thumb.jpg.e214dcecbf1d280ba36518ae84708983.jpgwreker_behind.thumb.jpg.fb56d65986d1035c16c5d8efb92e74ec.jpg

view_astern.thumb.jpg.91f9a84f51df0291d06b7a5afd44e8e6.jpg58ab5679bd411_view_astern_officercabins.thumb.jpg.7a88bf16a6e97b759b4f00560464fafa.jpg

May I ask you something? Have you done some of the current models ingame?

@BungeeLemming That looks genuinely incredible, will you be uploading it anywhere like sketchfab like steel does? I'd love to be able to look at your properly and give it the eyes it deserves. Good luck getting it put into the game, I'd love to sail her :).

I actually do have an upload of this vessel on sketchfab. However since it has no textures applied the webpage won't release it for the public. Maybe it's a bug. I have to read into it.

@ Intrepo:

I did the Wasa way back about a year ago. The devs accepted her and she will make it ingame eventually. But my modeling skills back then were a lot less than they are today. The devs will have done a lot optimization to the model. And boy I am excited about her.

21 hours ago, BungeeLemming said:

You did a fine job there BungeeL!! I salute you ;)

pardon me? What do you think is missing? I know I need to model the toilets on the bow. Other than that my own work there is done. I am not doing decorations. I do not have the skill and the devs will apply their own decoration if this ship was ever taken.

The stern is the same deal. I am pretty damm proud of how that part worked out. And since you can see how ingame models dont have any kind of cabins modeled I wont do it, too. Maybe as a gimmic but its not needed to call that vessel completed.

wreker_stern.thumb.jpg.f0fc33696f17e211df4fafbd86ba9953.jpg

• Like 2

well. no^^

Modeling decorations requires a few things I dont have: the skill to do it low poly. (baking textures - making it look realistic) and the tech requirements. FreddyGer made an insane job with his vessel. But I am just not that good.^^

btw: decorations:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?q=chattam&p=1&ps=12&st=OBJECTS&ii=3#/NG-MC-1257,3

• Like 3

I decided to model the pre refit vessel. Personally I find it a much more appealing design. You can see the Chatham model on the rijksmuseum webpage.

The refit was to put carronades onto the weatherdeck wherever the structure would allow it. How would that translate into the game? A full 12pd cannons gundeck with the possibility to change to 32 possibly 42pd carronades. We all know we wont get split gundecks. Cause in RL it was a mix of cannons and carronades.

Hence why I chose the original version. 15 x 36pd | 15 x 30pd | 9 or 10 x 12pd. 78 or 80 guns. (I am not 100% sure if two or three guns on the forecastle. I modeled three.)

In case of 78 to 80 guns this vessel might have the chance to be classified as (heavy) 3rd rate. Basically what the Pavel and Bucentaure were meant to be.

If you wanted to have the refitted version you only have to put loads of carronades between the forecastle and the quarterdeck. I prefer what Ive done ;)

• Like 5

Very nice work BungeeLemming :)
How do you decide which ship to model?

I just fell into the ones I did but was thinking it would be good to have a go at one that lots of people would like in game next. Is there a list/poll or something that helps you decide?

How I choose my ship I want to model? hmm..

If you noticed I made a lot of dutch vessels. Thats no coincident. That is because I frequently talk and discuss with Steelsandwich. All the ships I made within the last year came from a brainstorm with him. These are the admiral, the 20 gun corvets, the Euridice frigate and now I started jet another project which I will share once its time to. Also I always try to get as much information about the ships I want to model as I can. And since the dutch archives are full of infinite data (at least it seems so), it made it even easier for me.

If you need input there always are the old ship polls from which you can get some ideas. just like this one: klick

My very first project I modeled was one of the "swan class" ships which the community liked quite a bit. A pity I didnt know shit way back and the model was not accepted^^ If you want to there is insanely good information out there. Mainly in forms of ship model (blogs, reports, etc)

• Like 6

Well for ingame we can actually have two different variants, the 80 gunner and the 90 gunner, then it is the name you want to pick for the 80 I prefer the most Wreker or Chattam and for the 90 gunner the Admiraal de Ruyter would be nice.

Loving that sharp bow! It's nice to see some of the old style carrying over to later ships (even though that lateen may not be practical). I can't wait to see one of these beauties in game!

If this ships gets into the game with the original cannon sizes/ weights/ calibers, she'll have a broadside weight just below the HMS Victory's in the game. (while only having 80 guns compared to the Victory's 106 guns)

1293 lbs vs 1296 lbs (HMS Victory)

Armament

1798/07/28Broadside Weight = 1188 Dutch pound (1293.732 lbs 586.9908 kg)FWAS1786
Lower Gun Deck28 Dutch 36-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck30 Dutch 30-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle2 Dutch 60-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle6 Dutch 30-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle14 Dutch 12-Pounder