Game-Labs Forum

Admiraal de Ruyter - 1806

SteelSandwich

So I went ahead and modeled that ship anew - completely. No I have no confirmation that this vessel is gonna be ingame.

But I had a lot of fun modeling that lady once again since I really feel I improved my ability to model ships a lot. I am not 100% done but already the vessel looks beautiful. No colours this time. Only texture I use is transparency for the stern windows. Some rudementary lighting and some crude guns on the weatherdecks.

wreker_front.thumb.jpg.98972c424243c2baad79c76b39dea4be.jpgfrontview_2.thumb.jpg.7620d0cb7f8107e271a717b22b45bc00.jpg

gunport_lid.thumb.jpg.55add506dd78e41005d6a1800e39ba3a.jpgwreker_back.thumb.jpg.e214dcecbf1d280ba36518ae84708983.jpgwreker_behind.thumb.jpg.fb56d65986d1035c16c5d8efb92e74ec.jpg

view_astern.thumb.jpg.91f9a84f51df0291d06b7a5afd44e8e6.jpg58ab5679bd411_view_astern_officercabins.thumb.jpg.7a88bf16a6e97b759b4f00560464fafa.jpg

• Like 17

I actually do have an upload of this vessel on sketchfab. However since it has no textures applied the webpage won't release it for the public. Maybe it's a bug. I have to read into it.

@ Intrepo:

I did the Wasa way back about a year ago. The devs accepted her and she will make it ingame eventually. But my modeling skills back then were a lot less than they are today. The devs will have done a lot optimization to the model. And boy I am excited about her.

21 hours ago, BungeeLemming said:

So I went ahead and modeled that ship anew - completely. No I have no confirmation that this vessel is gonna be ingame.

But I had a lot of fun modeling that lady once again since I really feel I improved my ability to model ships a lot. I am not 100% done but already the vessel looks beautiful. No colours this time. Only texture I use is transparency for the stern windows. Some rudementary lighting and some crude guns on the weatherdecks.

You did a fine job there BungeeL!! I salute you ;)

pardon me? What do you think is missing? I know I need to model the toilets on the bow. Other than that my own work there is done. I am not doing decorations. I do not have the skill and the devs will apply their own decoration if this ship was ever taken.

The stern is the same deal. I am pretty damm proud of how that part worked out. And since you can see how ingame models dont have any kind of cabins modeled I wont do it, too. Maybe as a gimmic but its not needed to call that vessel completed.

wreker_stern.thumb.jpg.f0fc33696f17e211df4fafbd86ba9953.jpg

• Like 2

well. no^^

Modeling decorations requires a few things I dont have: the skill to do it low poly. (baking textures - making it look realistic) and the tech requirements. FreddyGer made an insane job with his vessel. But I am just not that good.^^

btw: decorations:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?q=chattam&p=1&ps=12&st=OBJECTS&ii=3#/NG-MC-1257,3

• Like 3

I decided to model the pre refit vessel. Personally I find it a much more appealing design. You can see the Chatham model on the rijksmuseum webpage.

The refit was to put carronades onto the weatherdeck wherever the structure would allow it. How would that translate into the game? A full 12pd cannons gundeck with the possibility to change to 32 possibly 42pd carronades. We all know we wont get split gundecks. Cause in RL it was a mix of cannons and carronades.

Hence why I chose the original version. 15 x 36pd | 15 x 30pd | 9 or 10 x 12pd. 78 or 80 guns. (I am not 100% sure if two or three guns on the forecastle. I modeled three.)

In case of 78 to 80 guns this vessel might have the chance to be classified as (heavy) 3rd rate. Basically what the Pavel and Bucentaure were meant to be.

If you wanted to have the refitted version you only have to put loads of carronades between the forecastle and the quarterdeck. I prefer what Ive done ;)

• Like 5

Very nice work BungeeLemming :)
How do you decide which ship to model?

I just fell into the ones I did but was thinking it would be good to have a go at one that lots of people would like in game next. Is there a list/poll or something that helps you decide?

How I choose my ship I want to model? hmm..

If you noticed I made a lot of dutch vessels. Thats no coincident. That is because I frequently talk and discuss with Steelsandwich. All the ships I made within the last year came from a brainstorm with him. These are the admiral, the 20 gun corvets, the Euridice frigate and now I started jet another project which I will share once its time to. Also I always try to get as much information about the ships I want to model as I can. And since the dutch archives are full of infinite data (at least it seems so), it made it even easier for me.

If you need input there always are the old ship polls from which you can get some ideas. just like this one: klick

My very first project I modeled was one of the "swan class" ships which the community liked quite a bit. A pity I didnt know shit way back and the model was not accepted^^ If you want to there is insanely good information out there. Mainly in forms of ship model (blogs, reports, etc)

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

Well for ingame we can actually have two different variants, the 80 gunner and the 90 gunner, then it is the name you want to pick for the 80 I prefer the most Wreker or Chattam and for the 90 gunner the Admiraal de Ruyter would be nice.

• 2 months later...

If this ships gets into the game with the original cannon sizes/ weights/ calibers, she'll have a broadside weight just below the HMS Victory's in the game. (while only having 80 guns compared to the Victory's 106 guns)

1293 lbs vs 1296 lbs (HMS Victory)

Armament

1798/07/28Broadside Weight = 1188 Dutch pound (1293.732 lbs 586.9908 kg)FWAS1786
Lower Gun Deck28 Dutch 36-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck30 Dutch 30-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle2 Dutch 60-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle6 Dutch 30-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle14 Dutch 12-Pounder

29 minutes ago, SteelSandwich said:

im seriously curious to what config we will see her sail with.

considering a 90-gun version is optional.

seeing her as a 90 gun second rate would add some diversity to the game no?  Maybe not so much as on a frigate level, but still?

the devs showed what is possible with mix decks (prince de neufchatel I am looking at you). The 90 gun config is more than predestined to get such a treatment. 12 pounders aft and carros from mid to forecastle on the upper works. If that is coming there is a private party in my head ^^

Looking at my model once more I realize that this one is already fit for the 90 gun layout if the shipyard just adds mounting points for the carronades and maybe narrow the gap on the weatherdeck to give her some sort of spar deck. Maybe also by adding gratings - I dont know. To fit the Admiraal's appearance I recon the shipwrights might have to shape the "forecastle" slightly differently. Or leave it alone since I personally love the looks of it much better on the Chattam. Afterall Ship plans are not nessecary 100% representative about the ship's appearance. Later paintings of these 80-90 gunners also show them with thick bulwarks just like the Bucentaure has.

All in all those are rather easy modifications which I actually consider doing for the sake of comparisn of appearance..

• Like 1

This class of ships is conspicuously missing from Robert Gardiner's rather dismissive treatment of the Napoleonic-era Dutch building programme. Just found this book online here: http://educacion-holistica.org/notepad/documentos/War/Navy Force/Warships of the Napoleonic Era.pdf

Going up to page 135, only the undersized SoLs are mentioned, concluding with this paragraph:

French domination of the low countries increased after Napoleon came to power and in 1806 be appointed his brother Louis King of Holland. The Dutch had already been co-opted into contributing invasion craft to the Boulogne Flotilla, and ship construction became increasingly French in style. Indeed, when Louis quarrelled with his brother and abdicated in1810, France simply took over the remaining Dutch navy. When the British invaded Walcheren in 1809, among the ships they found building was Fidèle, a typically French-style 40-gun frigate, which was brought to Britain for fitting out.

She looks very Dutch to me, though.

Any better sources on service history or build quality?

As authoritative as he can be, Gardiner is often frustratingly biased!  While I can't think of any fact he has fudged, he at times omits important information or writes vague opinion where recorded numbers or primary source quotes belong. (usually to emphasize the superiority of the Royal Navy over all others-which the record should support enough on its own for him to maintain that thesis and not write in this obnoxious manner.)  However, the Fidele was indeed a standard French 18pdr frigate to the design of Jaques-Noel Sane; her plan can be found in Frigates of the Napoleonic Wars. 

Edited by Captain Armstrong
  • Like 1

On 15-12-2017 at 9:24 PM, maturin said:

This class of ships is conspicuously missing from Robert Gardiner's rather dismissive treatment of the Napoleonic-era Dutch building programme. Just found this book online here: http://educacion-holistica.org/notepad/documentos/War/Navy Force/Warships of the Napoleonic Era.pdf

Going up to page 135, only the undersized SoLs are mentioned, concluding with this paragraph:

She looks very Dutch to me, though.

Any better sources on service history or build quality?

Yes,   regarding build qualitity. and i will share them one of these days.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 1:54 AM, Haratik said:

seeing her as a 90 gun second rate would add some diversity to the game no?  Maybe not so much as on a frigate level, but still?

i think that is the (wreeker class) Chatham Broadside Weight = 1188 Dutch pound  french period

first period

24.5.1799Broadside Weight = 1188 Dutch pound (1293.732 lbs 586.9908 kg)FWAS1786
Lower Gun Deck28 Dutch 36-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck30 Dutch 30-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle2 Dutch 60-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle6 Dutch 30-Pound Carronade
Quarterdeck/Forecastle14 Dutch 12-Pounder

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=793

1801 Broadside Weight = 1296 Dutch pound (1411.344 lbs 640.3536 kg)FWAS1786
Lower Gun Deck30 Dutch 36-Pounder
Upper Gun Deck30 Dutch 24-Pounder
Quarterdeck/Forecastle18 Dutch 36-Pound Carronade