Game-Labs Forum

PvP2 Port reset - put your thoughts on Diplomacy here.

Digital Wind

I do not appreciate the personal attack against me and for that matter, against eachother.  I find them to be false and disrespectful and made purely to troll.  There is nothing constructive about it and this is NOT THE PLACE TO CALL NAMES AND RUB GRIEVANCES, REAL OR IMAGINED, IN EACH OTHER FACES.  STOP IT.

I too would like to see a reset in the general political atmosphere but I feel like this is the Minority opinion since most people, or at least the loudest are favoring to continue wars.

The war will end when KPR or Mort falls.....get over it, if you think anything else will fix/Stop  it

The war will end when KPR or Mort falls.....get over it, if you think anything else will fix/Stop  it

Not gonna happen since its not official that capitals will even be cappable in the next patch, it was only something they would consider.

Also what about after?  After KPR or Mort falls, then there will be no more fighting due to the forced alliances (which pirates can't even have since they can't have allies, maybe the devs caught that and are fixing it right now!).  Imagine me sailing my Indiaman into Mortimer completely immune for being hit.  I'd laugh all the way in.

Just something to think about...

• Like 1

Then we won't be able to provide you a letter of marque from the Kingdom of the Netherlands, as we cannot trust your loyalties ;)

I didnt say money cant postpone that erge. DREAD pirates do work for cash.

Then your good :)

Just don't be toxic because that's bad.

Im not toxic im just honest :P

• Like 2

Not gonna happen since its not official that capitals will even be cappable in the next patch, it was only something they would consider.

Also what about after?  After KPR or Mort falls, then there will be no more fighting due to the forced alliances (which pirates can't even have since they can't have allies, maybe the devs caught that and are fixing it right now!).  Imagine me sailing my Indiaman into Mortimer completely immune for being hit.  I'd laugh all the way in.

Just something to think about...

My understanding is The brits would full under control of the Pirates if we took KPR so you would become Pirate more or less.. Think it would be good for the game so you can see we are not all bad lol.  Then at end of a total victory it resets and we start over and now most of everyone know each other better than bla bla bla bla he said she said.  Capture of Capital is a must This crap would be over and we would all be hitting some1 else

• Like 1

This crap could be over and we could hit someone else simply by making the choice to do so. A mission to take GB down to one port was started and accomplished. This desire to pick it right back up once the map resets reeks of high school level peacocking.

One thing (which should be quite obvious) about the nations with the most players is the target pool they provide. This isn't a real war so beating an opponent down until they stop showing up isn't necessary, or good game play. If we want fights we need to go about it in a way that is going to keep our adversaries willing/available to provide them. In one post in this thread I mentioned "games past"...

Years ago when I played Dark Age of Camelot,  the Midgard faction of the server I was on (The faction in which I played), went on an all out offensive to take complete control of the RvR zones by capturing every enemy keep and locking down the PvP border areas. The players of Hibernia and Albion couldn't go out into those zones during prime time without being camped at the border gates. Was all "fun and games" until the Hibs and Albs flat out stopped leaving the PvE zones. PvP dried up and stayed that way until the Hibs and Albs entered into a non aggression pact and both zerged up against Midgard. Gave us a whopping good taste of our own medicine. The server finally came to an agreement that completely shutting down an enemy was ultimately not conducive to a fun gaming environment. Players were getting nasty with each other, quitting, realm jumping etc. etc. etc.

Same rings true here in Naval Action. PvP is fun, and there's some good times to be had in rivalries that don't spiral down into trash-tier level fuckery.

• Like 6

I don't have much ambition or drive to be "the best", I really just approach this game to play and have fun.  That being said, I frequently see posts about Pirates feeling like everyone is against them.  Some pirates thrive on it, and those I applaud.  You're a pirate - the definition of a pirate is "someone who attacks and steals from ships at sea".  So do that, and have fun.  But don't expect a Nation to back you.You are criminals, historically speaking, EVERY Nation would hunt and kill pirates, without remorse. 

Piracy is and always has been considered extremely criminal - Despite the fact that privateers were basically legalized pirates.  A real Pirate was fair game for everyone.  If you're tired of being targeted by all parties, don't be a pirate.  If you thrive on the constant aggression and want to be at war with all nations, then be a pirate! 

If you want to take part in diplomacy, legal warfare, and alliances, then join a Nation and do the Empire thing.  Pirates are - according to patriots - scum and deserve to be hanged.  

Long story short, be what you are, and stop trying to make your "Nation" something it's not.

Bear in mind, this isn't a discussion on Port battles, or expanding your "nation's" interest.  If you're a pirate and are able to take ports, I could care less.  Just don't complain when many other nations are naturally inclined to attack and destroy you.

• Like 2

While I have enjoyed the peace treaty with the US, I also think that the Pirates who are into nation building and capturing ports should jump to a nation like Spain and make it interesting.

But ultimately we just need more people on both servers.

I totally agree. I really hate that big brother has to step in and tell pirates how to act like pirates.

These warrior pirates are tremendous fighters and so good at nation building, that i dont understand what drove themnto want to be a pirate.

As anyone who knows me and our tiny clan can tell you, we act as close to true 17th century pirates as the gane allows (much to the anger of many ) and capturing a port is something we could care less about BUT i hate the idea that we are non longer going to be able to do that.

If a pirate had the erge to capture a port and declare himself lord of that port it would be so nice to have that ability but why someone with the pirate mentality would want the responsibility of managing a empire is beyond me.

In the end it is what it is and we will roll with it but i still wonder what drives players who obviously make good leaders and lords to play pirates rather than a emlire.

In the end it is what it is and we will roll with it but i still wonder what drives players who obviously make good leaders and lords to play pirates rather than a [empire].

I can tell you that answer easily. Being a bad guy is sexy.  Look at every Age of Sail movie and video game of recent history.  I can only think of one that isn't either glorifying piracy, or making the ruling nation out to be the bad guy - Master and Commander.  And even that is pushing it, Maturin in that movie was so anti-tyranny that he argued vehemently against Jack's right to rule the ship (kind of), and was in favor of Mutiny when justified.    Now how many movies or games can you easily recall that favor piracy?

All of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Cutthroat Island, the Assassin's Creed game, Black Sails.  

Then you look at our current pop culture and what shows are receiving wide appeal.  Shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

Being bad is the new good.  I personally don't agree with the concept, but the appeal is there.  "Be Morally bankrupt without any real repercussion"

....I may have gone on a bit of a tangent.  Sorry

Several excellent points guys.

I too also agree that pirates should be free lance scum and villainy and avoid National politics.  Black Beard was a complete D-bag who ran the Queen Anne's Revenge aground so he could strand most of his guys there and not have to share their large fortune. Even those given letters of marque often just hit whoever they wanted.

Everyone will hate pirates because everyone at some point will/has been jumped by a pirate hitting their trade ship.  I say to love the Pirate hate!  There is something special about sailing the high seas and seeing everybody salty.

They see you sailin'... they hatin'...

• Like 2

My understanding is The brits would full under control of the Pirates if we took KPR so you would become Pirate more or less.. Think it would be good for the game so you can see we are not all bad lol.  Then at end of a total victory it resets and we start over and now most of everyone know each other better than bla bla bla bla he said she said.  Capture of Capital is a must This crap would be over and we would all be hitting some1 else

They would become pirates, every one can attack them and they will loose there alliance.   This would go for any nation that is brought down to the capital and it was captured if they put that in.  

To be honest they need to have total victory and have a reset to keep it from getting stail.   If you haven't gotten total victory in say 3 months the map reset at a set time.  Other wise you will have power alliances and groups just making peace and no war.

Again we will just have to see how the mechanics play out and as Pirates help test it until they get to our own mechanics.

They would become pirates, every one can attack them and they will loose there alliance.   This would go for any nation that is brought down to the capital and it was captured if they put that in.  

The said that you would have your nation put into a forced permanent alliace, not that you would have your affiliation converted.

"Capitals could become capturable. 

If nation have lost all the ports the last county (with capital) will open for capture. Losing the capital will force an alliance with the conquering nation."

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15638-development-plans-for-conquest-mechanics-rvr/

But this is kinda old and they did not mention anything about capitals being capped in their others posts detailing the new mechanics so either

1.  They're still working on it for the new patch and haven't said anything because stuff can change

or

2.  They've ditched it and may implement it in a later patch.

Edited by Digital Wind

I don't know about anyone else but forcing my nation into an unwanted alliance won't stop me from helping my friends in any way I can whether it be giving them critical battle information or economic sabotage.

which would be expected of any nations unless they where turncoats in the first place.

I'd like to remind Loco that (discussed in post #23), there was no official alliance between GB and Black. It was voted down in GB because of the Pirate insistence they be granted both Baracoa and Port Antonio.

From my remembrance, many of us who thought it was a good idea anyway (barring the sticking point), were simply acting as if the terms had been agreed to.

I agree it was working pretty well while the US was riding high. Once they were beaten down a bit and thrown into disarray as a large clan moved from US to Pirates, however, it was a bit concerning to us who you would decide to fight, after they had collapsed. I assume plans were being made in case things changed, and the de facto alliance fell apart.

You forget to mention other shows and books on the timeframe this takes place in.  Hornblower is a good one that comes to mind.  As it glorifies the Royal Navy, for its pros and its cons.    But pirates have always been something that has been glorified through the years.  Dating all the way back to the 30s in cinema pirates have been the cool thing.   But in the real world they had a VERY hard life, full of a lot of struggle and was often a very short career.   Very few pirates survived longer than a year before they were put to the rope.  

But honestly my favorite shows from this timeline are Hornblower, and the Sharpes series. 

I'll have to check that one out.  I haven't heard of it.  I skipped books, because some age of sail books are making a rise again and are not quite so one-sided towards the villains.  I'm loving the Aubrey/Maturin series (Listen to them on the way to and from work every day), and there are a few other notables out there.  But I think my statement still stands, bad guys are just considered the sexier choice in current pop culture.

I'd like to remind Loco that (discussed in post #23), there was no official alliance between GB and Black. It was voted down in GB because of the Pirate insistence they be granted both Baracoa and Port Antonio.

From my remembrance, many of us who thought it was a good idea anyway (barring the sticking point), were simply acting as if the terms had been agreed to.

I agree it was working pretty well while the US was riding high. Once they were beaten down a bit and thrown into disarray as a large clan moved from US to Pirates, however, it was a bit concerning to us who you would decide to fight, after they had collapsed. I assume plans were being made in case things changed, and the de facto alliance fell apart.

Dude who cares now patch is here time for a new chapter. Quit living in the past. Lol. This horse is flogged.

I don't have much ambition or drive to be "the best", I really just approach this game to play and have fun. That being said, I frequently see posts about Pirates feeling like everyone is against them. Some pirates thrive on it, and those I applaud. You're a pirate - the definition of a pirate is "someone who attacks and steals from ships at sea". So do that, and have fun. But don't expect a Nation to back you.You are criminals, historically speaking, EVERY Nation would hunt and kill pirates, without remorse.

Piracy is and always has been considered extremely criminal - Despite the fact that privateers were basically legalized pirates. A real Pirate was fair game for everyone. If you're tired of being targeted by all parties, don't be a pirate. If you thrive on the constant aggression and want to be at war with all nations, then be a pirate!

If you want to take part in diplomacy, legal warfare, and alliances, then join a Nation and do the Empire thing. Pirates are - according to patriots - scum and deserve to be hanged.

Long story short, be what you are, and stop trying to make your "Nation" something it's not.

Bear in mind, this isn't a discussion on Port battles, or expanding your "nation's" interest. If you're a pirate and are able to take ports, I could care less. Just don't complain when many other nations are naturally inclined to attack and destroy you.

Until pirate mechanics happen and as devs stated in patch notes pirates will be treated as a nation. The unfortunate thing is we cannot make alliances unless they are gentleman agreements.

I don't have much ambition or drive to be "the best", I really just approach this game to play and have fun. That being said, I frequently see posts about Pirates feeling like everyone is against them. Some pirates thrive on it, and those I applaud. You're a pirate - the definition of a pirate is "someone who attacks and steals from ships at sea". So do that, and have fun. But don't expect a Nation to back you.You are criminals, historically speaking, EVERY Nation would hunt and kill pirates, without remorse.

Piracy is and always has been considered extremely criminal - Despite the fact that privateers were basically legalized pirates. A real Pirate was fair game for everyone. If you're tired of being targeted by all parties, don't be a pirate. If you thrive on the constant aggression and want to be at war with all nations, then be a pirate!

If you want to take part in diplomacy, legal warfare, and alliances, then join a Nation and do the Empire thing. Pirates are - according to patriots - scum and deserve to be hanged.

Bear in mind, this isn't a discussion on Port battles, or expanding your "nation's" interest. If you're a pirate and are able to take ports, I could care less. Just don't complain when many other nations are naturally inclined to attack and destroy you.

Until pirate mechanics happen and as devs stated in patch notes pirates will be treated as a nation. The unfortunate thing is we cannot make alliances unless they are gentleman agreements.

Egos be damned , were allies again with a nation that has 11 ports all the way across the map. I swear some of you would screw up a wet dream. LOL

Fix the politics please ( who gets to vote and how many times... i.e alts= 0 votes) I dont care if my Vic has super rare unobtanium oak railings . LOL

There I said it one more time..... to make it a round three times!

lol I was on my phone at work must have hit post twice or something haha.

It's Live!  Hopefully people can get over the bad blood in the long run but until then its time to blitz the true enemy!  SPAIN.

Those poor poor poor Spaniards....maybe some how we be suprised and find Sat a bunch of them returned or rerolled and give a good fight....

Until pirate mechanics happen and as devs stated in patch notes pirates will be treated as a nation.  The unfortunate thing is we cannot make alliances unless they are gentleman agreements. 

There I said it one more time..... to make it a round three times!

Saw you tonight and forgot to wave as you passed by.  I think we where both to busy doing stuff to make it a fight.  Trying to find those dang new ships and cap one.   This having only Pirate ships around pirate ports starting to suck lol