Game-Labs Forum

I FINALLY GET IT. Advice for new players!!

Like everyone else I purchased this game and boom! Found myself wallowing like a land lover in a cutter.

I figured out WSAD and sailed about a bit.

Massive ships here and there, a myriad of ranks and a lot of coded chat, a map with coordinates, ports, pirates etc etc.

I was totally lost and thought feck it I have wasted my money!

Then someone asked if I was OK. They talked to me and gave me basic advice.

I continued to experiement and slowly, very slowly pick up this and that and made progression.

I was doing OK, but skint and my combat was that of a lucky beginner.

Then I discovered the vids on youtube.

In paticular Jeheils vids.

I watched, and played and watched and played and got better fast!

Soon I had money, I was crafting, chatting taking part in missions etc.

I continued to learn from the vids and then last night a huge penny Dropped!!

I finally felt like I started to understand combat. Turning through the wind, reversing out of irons, focused fire, crew management, front rolling, back rolling, random fire, depower, leak shooting, when to repair etc etc.

Where before I would valiantly struggle in a hit or miss turn fest suddenly I was shredding enemy ships and taking very little damage myself.

Now I am on my way to Flag. Wow! What a game.

Thanks to Jeheil, Grunf and others for these invaluable training aids.

New players, WATCH THE VIDS ON YOUTUBE AND OPEN UP NAVAL ACTION!

If any newbies want advice just ask I sail from KPR most early mornings and evenings.

Edited by Blue Tooth
  • Like 20

The mechanics are essential.

Another important fact is to transmit the idea of different playstyles and not orient any player to one single playstyle but strongly promote independent development and experience.

Even more important is to break, early on, the barrier of "aversion to loss". Losing a ship is not a tragedy. A good battle, a fierce combat is always the ultimate aim of the game.

Salute sir and carry on the good spirit.

• Like 6

Most of the new players didn't dare to ask. I can just say to them: Ask what you have to ask, we all know that to get into this game without advice is extremely hard and frustratig. We all know that there is no manual or tutorial included in this game which makes it verry hard to understand.

Thus just ask, I know that the most players will help you!

If you are playing for sweden just pm me - well you can pm me even if you arent sweden ^^

• Like 3

In addition to all the good advice above, Cap Jeheil has a series of Naval Action videos covering from "First Missions" through basic sailing, navigating, trading, crafting, Outposts and Production.  His weekly "Letter to the King" updates on local alliances and warfare.  Subscribe, you'll be glad you did.  

They start at:

Naval Action's Official Forums include valuable guidance from the Developers and Admins, as well as respected players (with the usual chatter).  This is where new Updates are announced, explained and debated: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/35-developer-news-and-announcements/

"ramjb" has additional valuable YouTube videos.

One explains and shows how to use "Line of Battle" sailing and fighting.  By keeping the Friendly ships organized into a close column sailing at right angle to the Opposition Forces' center, Friendlies focus stable firepower and reduce exposure to enemy counter fire and maneuver.  This video also shows how to "Keep Station" with proper separation, and how to maneuver to change or even reverse the direction of the "Line" and still keep proper position and combat superiority.  

With text narration in English.

"Naval Action: Teamwork vs Guns" at:

~ HK ~ 

Yankee Trader and US Coast Guard Militia

PvP One EU

• Like 1

One explains and shows how to use "Line of Battle" sailing and fighting.  By keeping the Friendly ships organized into a close column sailing at right angle to the Opposition Forces' center, Friendlies focus stable firepower and reduce exposure to enemy counter fire and maneuver.  This video also shows how to "Keep Station" with proper separation, and how to maneuver to change or even reverse the direction of the "Line" and still keep proper position and combat superiority.  

~ HK ~ 
PvP One EU

Bear in mind that you won't find such inexperienced enemies on the OW nowadays.

Also, it's amazing how flimsy ships were in that old game version. Currently you would find it very difficult to do such decisive damage at that range, with increased HP, partial penetrations and ricochets. It's very hard to imagine an enemy fleet failing to come to grips with a slow leeward group like that now.

Bear in mind that you won't find such inexperienced enemies on the OW nowadays.

Also, it's amazing how flimsy ships were in that old game version. Currently you would find it very difficult to do such decisive damage at that range, with increased HP, partial penetrations and ricochets. It's very hard to imagine an enemy fleet failing to come to grips with a slow leeward group like that now.

Do you like it more now?

I ve been looking for a video that shows how to sail and fight in formation. Am i to presume my search goes on or are there useful elements in this video that can still be applied in the current version of the game. Also i would add my voice to those above in that i ve found both the help on these forums and the in game help to be friendly and very forthcoming.

I ve been looking for a video that shows how to sail and fight in formation. Am i to presume my search goes on or are there useful elements in this video that can still be applied in the current version of the game. Also i would add my voice to those above in that i ve found both the help on these forums and the in game help to be friendly and very forthcoming.

It's mostly just the damage model and UI that has changed since that video.

It's still valid for showing how to maneuver a line, communicate your speed settings, and stay together.

I recommend finding a ship you like, and sticking to it! I know that you probably want to get your next rank as soon as possible, but I strongly recommend slowing down and getting to know a ship.

I personally adore the Pickle. Despite having the rank to crew larger ships, I decided to stick around and use the Pickle for a while. As I worked up crafting levels and continued to sail the pickle, I learned every detail of how the ship operated. You must understand that these ships are not just wooden vessels with guns and sails, but complex machines that perform in very different ways. The game does a very fine job implementing this!

I've applied this to the Essex and Surprise as well. Find a ship you love, and learn about it! I fear the experienced and well-educated player in a Surprise  (or, as Mr. Hethwill can attest, two very damn good pirates in privateers who know their ships well!) much more than an under-crewed or inexperienced player in a Trincomalee. Captains who know the capabilities and functions of their vessel are good captains, and potent enemies.

• Like 3

I recommend finding a ship you like, and sticking to it! I know that you probably want to get your next rank as soon as possible, but I strongly recommend slowing down and getting to know a ship.

I personally adore the Pickle. Despite having the rank to crew larger ships, I decided to stick around and use the Pickle for a while. As I worked up crafting levels and continued to sail the pickle, I learned every detail of how the ship operated. You must understand that these ships are not just wooden vessels with guns and sails, but complex machines that perform in very different ways. The game does a very fine job implementing this!

I've applied this to the Essex and Surprise as well. Find a ship you love, and learn about it! I fear the experienced and well-educated player in a Surprise  (or, as Mr. Hethwill can attest, two very damn good pirates in privateers who know their ships well!) much more than an under-crewed or inexperienced player in a Trincomalee. Captains who know the capabilities and functions of their vessel are good captains, and potent enemies.

Haven't any good pirate yet. Only Hethwil but I count that more to his cheesy (Dutch) time - And thank god, he is a viking now ^^

Edited by Twig

I've applied this to the Essex and Surprise as well. Find a ship you love, and learn about it! I fear the experienced and well-educated player in a Surprise (or, as Mr. Hethwill can attest, two very damn good pirates in privateers who know their ships well!) much more than an under-crewed or inexperienced player in a Trincomalee. Captains who know the capabilities and functions of their vessel are good captains, and potent enemies.

I have.

I love the frigate. It just seems to fit me and although others have suggested other types I just don't like them.

I will stick with my Frigate for a good while yet.

In addition to all the good advice above, Cap Jeheil has a series of Naval Action videos covering from "First Missions" through basic sailing, navigating, trading, crafting, Outposts and Production. His weekly "Letter to the King" updates on local alliances and warfare. Subscribe, you'll be glad you did.

They start at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7sojL0yGHA

Naval Action's Official Forums include valuable guidance from the Developers and Admins, as well as respected players (with the usual chatter). This is where new Updates are announced, explained and debated: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/35-developer-news-and-announcements/

Economy, Trading and Crafting here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/57-economy-trading-and-crafting/

"ramjb" has additional valuable YouTube videos.

One explains and shows how to use "Line of Battle" sailing and fighting. By keeping the Friendly ships organized into a close column sailing at right angle to the Opposition Forces' center, Friendlies focus stable firepower and reduce exposure to enemy counter fire and maneuver. This video also shows how to "Keep Station" with proper separation, and how to maneuver to change or even reverse the direction of the "Line" and still keep proper position and combat superiority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuzZkgoFmsw

~ HK ~

PvP One EU

I could not mention all the vids and tutorials available there are to many lol. And all of them are full of great advice. But I think whats more impprtant for new players is to understand is that a couple of hours watching them is worth weeks of playing in the dark....

I also watch letters to the king.

To be honest thats why i bought this game. I stumbles across some videos on you tube and i spent two weeks watching how to manual sail and various other guides. Definitely in no rush to rank up too fast, my best ship so far is a rattlesnake but i was considering a snow to get used to multi decks. So many ships too choose from :D .

Do you like it more now?

It is more realistic and therefore a much better historical experience. One can really read old books on naval strategy and apply them to the game, which is a great thing!

One the downside, some mechanics are not much fun. Graping is to easy. Boarding is a boring minigame with a mostly pre-determined outcome. And of course, finding the right balance on how easy it is to shot down masts, will never be found (too hard now)! =)

if you got in irons you have more to learn, and you dont "reverse" out of it, you set your sails manually and it will bring you out of the wind without having to reverse

That's what the post was about. Learning.

I still make mistakes but I am progressing and enjoying it.

I meant reversing in the term reversing the effects not going backwards like a car.

It's taking time but I feel like I am getting there.

Edited by Blue Tooth