Game-Labs Forum
admin

Important october patch information

I do agree that sucks but let me ask this. Yes you MAY lose your mc power monks or marines but if all the players are also losing thier marines and powder monk putting you back in the same spot you was with them, by both having the same mods or looking for new ones would it be that bad to lose a ship?

I do agree totally that random drops of OP mods is bad but if you all ended up in same boat ( pun intended ) and it wad skill vs skill wouldn't it be ok to lose a ship?

These are serious questions tex i know you so im trying to understand since these things don't really matter to me.

if they made them more common and not so rare or have  replacement system for none craftable mods than yes there shouldn't be a reason to worry about your one dura ship and mods getting sunk.  Though it's more the cost as many folks don't PvP and do ECON to make tons of money cause they are causal players so that one ship they loose might of been there only ship too.  While not something guys like us have problems with, but we aren't the average casual players either.

As for Skill vs Skill.   I'm sorry no amounts of mods or Exceptional ships is going to make up for skill.  Some folks are just bad no matter what.  It's why we keep getting called OP and Hackers.   Even in real life a great Captain could make a crappy ship out perform with a good crew vs a Great ship with a crappy crew and bad Captain.   Just look at the long list of history of underdogs winning when way out gun and shipped.  Tends to happen when you give Captains ships based on who they kissed arse they most with or how deep there pockets are.  Just cause they where some rich nobles son didn't mean they where a good Captain.   So to be honest ships need to have a wide variation and the true skill no matter what is what the Captain makes of the current ship he is in.

if they made them more common and not so rare or have replacement system for none craftable mods than yes there shouldn't be a reason to worry about your one dura ship and mods getting sunk. Though it's more the cost as many folks don't PvP and do ECON to make tons of money cause they are causal players so that one ship they loose might of been there only ship too. While not something guys like us have problems with, but we aren't the average casual players either.

As for Skill vs Skill. I'm sorry no amounts of mods or Exceptional ships is going to make up for skill. Some folks are just bad no matter what. It's why we keep getting called OP and Hackers. Even in real life a great Captain could make a crappy ship out perform with a good crew vs a Great ship with a crappy crew and bad Captain. Just look at the long list of history of underdogs winning when way out gun and shipped. Tends to happen when you give Captains ships based on who they kissed arse they most with or how deep there pockets are. Just cause they where some rich nobles son didn't mean they where a good Captain. So to be honest ships need to have a wide variation and the true skill no matter what is what the Captain makes of the current ship he is in.

Lol yes being called a hacker and accused of picking on people is fun ha ha ha.

Well hopefully they come up with a solution to make everyone happy.

That had to do with the level of influence a certain mission type had over hostility - PVP missions being the most influential. Trade, etc, where low influence.

Just realized that he actually reposted the same info in this very thread. Silly me. Sure looks like OW PvP - even OW PvE (Yay, I kinda miss tracking down and fighting OW fleets) - is treated separately from missions.

Hostility will be generated by PVP (major impact), PVE (minor impact), Missions (minor impact), and War effort supplies deliveries (minor impact).

Edited by Aegir

I'd say is highly dependent on the fierceness of combat.Given any one battle on Hostility Missions will be always open the combat can escalate very quickly at the regional borders.

What I'm very very curious to know is IF any normal OW combat act towards the hostility levels - considering opposing BR ratings adding or subtracting bonus ( after all a 10x BR should be 0.0x bonus which is zero ).

Knowing that War Supplies act towards it, it is easily guessed that trade raiders can have a full day denying the War Supplies, so not everything has to be the full fleet combat.

Order of importance for hostility generation 

1. PVP kills anywhere: OW or in player pve missions
  2. War supplies delivery 
  3. Raids (in the future)
  4. PVE kills

How alliances will interact with all this

Alliance members grant your nation 50% hostility

The rest grant your nation 25% hostility

For example

British are increasing tensions in Northern Puerto Rico

US Allies are helping them

Pirates are chasing everyone

• Brit sinks Spanish 1st rate with full crew = British gets 700 points all allied members are getting 350 points for this region
  • US player sinks Spanish 1st rate with full crew = US gets 700 points all allied members are getting 350 points for this region
  • Another pirate (or any un-allied nation) sink 1 Spanish first rate = every nation gaining hostility on the port get 175 points

But whats important

• If Pirates (or any other unallied nation) sink 2 first rates - one for British and one for US Player - Pirates drop hostility by 1400 points 
So if you sink the defending nation or their allies = you gain tension level for you and everyone else who is getting hostility up
If you the attacking nation or their allies = you reduce tension level for the defender

Player participation

You personally - as a player - gain war effort points for the region. They are needed for future use in special rewards and in determination on who enters the PB first to provide the option to block trolls or otherwise abusive nation mates (cases that happened before).

• Like 3

Pirates are chasing everyone

• Another pirate (or any un-allied nation) sink 1 Spanish first rate = every nation gaining hostility on the port get 175 points

But whats important

• If Pirates (or any other unallied nation) sink 2 first rates - one for British and one for US Player - Pirates drop hostility by 1400 points 
Player participation

You personally - as a player - gain war effort points for the region. They are needed for future use in special rewards and in determination on who enters the PB first to provide the option to block trolls or otherwise abusive nation mates (cases that happened before).

I can see Pirates while every one is at war with them can end up being like Mercs for some Nations and helping to swing things into action one way or the other.   That is what a lot of Nationals don't understand that we kinda can make big things change fast if we want to.   Though question is if we work on helping one side or the other.  When the Port Battle comes along which side do Pirates get to join or can they even join?   Would be interesting if one Pirate clan says helps the Brtis out and another is helping the US out in your example.   Than you might have a third clan that is sinking both sides.  Well when the Port battle comes can the ones helping either US or Brits join there sides cause they had earned the player participation points for that battle.

Is it stated somewhere that breaking those ships has a chance to drop a BP? For ocean, agamemnon, heavy rattle and gunboat it does not.

No there isn't. It's just my suggestion that introducing new ships as NPC ships, letting us capture and break them down would be more fair than an event lottery.

Thank you for the clarification Admin. It is more understandable now how it all works together around the new Hostility mechanic.

No there isn't. It's just my suggestion that introducing new ships as NPC ships, letting us capture and break them down would be more fair than an event lottery.

I'm going to take bet you won't be able to get the BP that way cause than we will just make full dura version instead of testing the 1 dur versions.  Though I'm hoping we get random version from fleets.  Like how you use to get Common and Fine and not just basic all the time.  Still get a few common or fine traders, but that is about it.

No mention of pirate mechanics. 

Forts going away permanently or will we see them someday? You have community members like Steel Sandwich who are spending their free time making models for you.... and you turned them down for some reason. Why? How can we have port battles in the final game if we aren't actually fighting over a port?

I'm glad you are testing other combat models. Please keep open minds in this process, and perhaps try out some of the other systems that have been proposed by community members. I have serious doubts about the 2 circle system because it still inhibits PvP more than it encourages it. As you say, we cant test other systems after the game is released, and it is my firm belief that a flawed combat system will be the death of this game upon release.

You guys made the right choice on making missions stay open until they were finished. How will a contested mission factor into hostility? Will it count as PvP or PvE? or is hostility independent of instance type and instead is based on the ships that are sunk?

Crafting and blueprints: PLEASE make all blueprints available to all crafters through some standardized method. PLEASE get rid of all RNG processes that affect final ship quality. We should be able to craft a ship exactly how we want it.

The current system forces you to craft dozens of ships sometimes before you get the one that someone ordered from you, or that you want yourself. Its currently a huge time and money drain for crafters, and its why I dont consider crafting to be a viable source of income....when it definitely should be 1 way of many for a player to have a stable income.

Edited by Æthlstan
  • Like 1

Just came back to the game and I'm really loving a lot of the changes, however one thing annoys me abit and that is the change in time of day in an instance, it just doesn't look right with the stars wizzing across the sky etc.. wouldn't it be better that the weather & time of day in an instance be determined by what it was when you entered from the OW? That's a change I'd definitely like to see :)

Other than that keep up the great work Game Labs, the game really has come a long way since I last played and the forthcoming changes sound splendid :)

With these two ships we will test 1 durability viability.

Heavy_breathing_zpsrjxtkgnb.jpeg

Praised be thy Davy Jones if this will usher the end of the Super Mario era of ships having 5 lives :)  

What's to stop someone from using an alt in another nation to surrender a 1st rate again and again to build up hostility in favour of their main?

Ethics? morality? ideals? pride?

It all depends on folks being interested in playing this game because they actually want to sail and fight with these great warships and uphold the virtues associated with captaining them. 

If someone wants to bug the whole thing by bypassing the fun part of the game (sailing, battles, etc....) just to be able to "win" whatever they think that means...  I don't think you'll be able to avoid these situations. I suppose It's for the rest of the community to ban these behaviors when witnessed.

Some folk don't get that the winners in this game are the people who are having fun playing it and not defeating the systems of it.

Aren't we doing this just for the fun after all?

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Please do not use persojnal insults. Treat others with respect.
  • Like 3

I want to see what the changes will bring, though i do not like the regional ship building bonus.

The bonus should be connected with regional good, not the building place.

• Like 2

if they made them more common and not so rare or have  replacement system for none craftable mods than yes there shouldn't be a reason to worry about your one dura ship and mods getting sunk.  Though it's more the cost as many folks don't PvP and do ECON to make tons of money cause they are causal players so that one ship they loose might of been there only ship too.  While not something guys like us have problems with, but we aren't the average casual players either.

As for Skill vs Skill.   I'm sorry no amounts of mods or Exceptional ships is going to make up for skill.  Some folks are just bad no matter what.  It's why we keep getting called OP and Hackers.   Even in real life a great Captain could make a crappy ship out perform with a good crew vs a Great ship with a crappy crew and bad Captain.   Just look at the long list of history of underdogs winning when way out gun and shipped.  Tends to happen when you give Captains ships based on who they kissed arse they most with or how deep there pockets are.  Just cause they where some rich nobles son didn't mean they where a good Captain.   So to be honest ships need to have a wide variation and the true skill no matter what is what the Captain makes of the current ship he is in.

I would add that everyone is in a shark frenzy for new ships and keep changing at every battle.

I find that if you know one ship really well and equipped with a specific set of weapons and you stick to it for a while to get really proficient with it, you'll have more success than trying to adapt to a new situation with a new set of cannons setup on a new firing platform at each battle.

Captains who have been in the game a long time might be ok doing this but if you're a beginner to intermediate player it really will make a difference.

• Like 1

Looks very interesting indeed.

It is a bit late and have to really get some sleep, so did not read all.  Sorry if already asked/answered.

You have a small nation vs a big nation...  How the small nation is able to attack the bigger one?  Like if there is 10x more players on one side, how the other side will be able to create enough hostility in the 1st place?

Mass > Skill here?  Or there was something indeed that I did not notice yet?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

What's to stop someone from using an alt in another nation to surrender a 1st rate again and again to build up hostility in favour of their main?

I hope they do and I will pop into that mission and steal it. 

• Like 3

You are trying to change the mechanics and the balance with a sledgehammer. The same mistake other studios made in the past in games like wot or wt.

This patch is nothing but for hardcore players (1 dura ships, bigger gap in stats for better ships crafted with notes, territorial boosts, no help against gankers etc) and will kill the fun for the largest player base: the casual player who plays 1-2 hours after work at evening. You will lose more players.

• Like 1

This patch sounds OK on many fronts but to increase player base you need to address ganking and revenge squads. PvP and privateering and real Piracy are ruined by them.

1 Dura ships are no big deal for a post captain + sitting on 2 million gold and part of a clan. But for all lower class or independant casual players they would be a game killer.

It would also remove some great moments from the game like when I commit my frigate to the aid of a victory who is ganked by 20 1st rates and fight forlornly but furiously and have a great time!

Would not do it with 1 Dura.

At present getting good committed pvp can be challenging but with 1 dura ships with the current crafting, mods, economy and levelling it would be seriously flawed in favour of veteran or clan players.

How about the higher the BR of a ship the lower the durability.

Example what class you are is also your dura rating.

Thus first rates would have 1 and frigates 5.

This would also reflect the type of players who sails them.

Make capital ships special to be deployed in times of dire need and missed when lost.

Edited by Blue Tooth

Make capital ships special to be deployed in times of dire need and missed when lost.

Uh...That is literally how it is right now.

• Like 1

This is how the current system all ready works.  5-7th rates have five, 4th has 4, 3rds have 3, 2nd have 2 and 1st rates only have one.

• Like 1

We had a discussion on our nations chat yesterday. The ROE with no timer is favouring the pirate-hunting playstyle above the naval-fleet playstyle. Is there any way the naval-fleet playstyle can play major role again? Imagine an easy way to assemble a fleet by joining a roster etc.?

The minor nations needs some kind of an easy way to get 25 players together... 

Two new ships will be added 

• Endymion
  • Indefatigable
  • Both ships basic hulls were made by Ragnar Hairy Trousers (community member) and adapted by Game Labs artists.
  • With these two ships we will test 1 durability viability. As a result these ships will only be added to NPCs fleets and will have to be found on the OW. 

I saw it asked by the very first reply but I did not see an answer and so I'll ask as well. Can we expect to find exceptional hulls from these NPCs? I know the mechanic is/was there,before the last major update,back when the largest ships in OW fleets were 3rd rates we used to very rarely find exceptional hulls. Will this mechanic return for these two ships?

Give us the L'Ocean BP. And if you really want to make it super super rare, increase the required High Grade notes to craft it say from 4 to 8. I dont care if it takes longer to craft, I just want to bloody sail it already !!!