Game-Labs Forum
admin

Important october patch information

It's not totally random.. And I bet it won't be above time zone dispute either.. The hostility lvls for each region will be important in order to know which zones are contested and thereby generate PvP.. Which some of us would like (reduces the need to sail for hours in search of something other than a trader to gank).. Some of us are affiliated with smaller factions and the hostility lvls for the top 10 regions might indicate the largest factions that are able to build aggression faster..The hostility lvls will most likely hit 100 % in prime time and then a PB will ensue 48 hours later... Which will still be in prime time..

What's most likely is that the hostility level will reach the maximum during the time frame that the attacker has the most people playing, which may or may not be when the defender has the most playing.  This doesn't make the time zone problem go away, just changes the scheduling of the PB to the time most convenient for the attacker.  I think this system is designed for a much larger game population than we're currently seeing.

Oh come on, its a fantasy game for crying out loud. Why would you want to restrict any age of sail ship from the game.

Haven't you ever wanted to see young Bruce Lee beat the crap out of fat Steven Seagal?

I would like to see anybody beat the crap out of fat Steven Seagal

• Like 1

I'd suggest...if nothing in the development pipeline contrary to it... to test the officers without Resets, in this deployment, for a while. Just for variety and decision making.

My thing with it is.. players being what they are, why would they bother with the old outdated designs when the newer far more modern designs are just better. 

Why isn't everyone just driving around in Victory's?

Sounds like your problem is with power creep, not national and time related ship designs.

I would like to see anybody beat the crap out of fat Steven Seagal

Me too.  ^_^

Yes, I know only the new ships are 1 dur. But if we turn to 1 dur ships what I see that will do is

1) promote more ganking

2) hurt crafting

First, I am a casual player, been playing since before Steam Early Access release, have, I believe, 400 some hours in game, have done enough crafting to be able to craft a gold LGV, am at the rank to fully crew a third rate, and do mostly PVP.

Yesterday I was with a group of 3 Renomees. We were leaving the Jamaica area after our fourth member captured a Indianman headed into KPR. He sold the goods & was headed back to Lle Vache in a basic cutter. Part of the revenge group was still around, 2 surprises. We attacked the one, the other one fled. During the battle I decided to board the surprise with the intent to disengage. Having green marines I thought I could but with gold marines, he counter attacked me to death.

So my lovely 3/5 fir build strength speed Reno is down to 4 dur, no big deal. I still have my regular mods & enough time to work on crafting a new Reno & get mats for the permanent mods. I still will fight in this 4 dur ship.

What would be the case for me if the Reno was 1 dur:

I would have lost all my outfittings. I would have not wanted to use my gold fir surprise without the steel toolbox & extra pump. As I only had that one set, I would have just bought a grey ship from the npcs to use with my gank squad.

As I only have 2 mil & do not farm tobacco. I could see me coming broke quick having to make a new ship & new mods when I lose them.

I run in a gank squad but love even fights & try to solo hunt when no one is on. With 1 dur, I would not want to try even fights as I'm still a noob at PVP.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 7

ROE

• Open world battles: 2 circles system will be added. 1 tag circle for attack and 1 large circle for pull. Battles will close instantly on start (except for rookie zones)

Still not clear on how this new tagging system will work. If the second circle pulls everything in then why do we need the first circle?

I am thinking it means the first smaller circle is for attackers and the second larger circle is for Players and NPCs of the opposing side. Could the developers please clarify?

Sincerely,

Edited by John Page

I am thinking it means the first smaller circle is for attackers and the second larger circle is for Players and NPCs of the opposing side. Could the developers please clarify?

Sincerely,

Both circles pull in all ships of both factions.

Sincerely,

if you want to attack, your target need to be in the small circle, everything in the big circle will get pull in your battle as well.

Why isn't everyone just driving around in Victory's?

Sounds like your problem is with power creep, not national and time related ship designs.

Actually the problem I see is more financial. If you were to build the Victory for yourself you can spend an easy 400,000. If you were to buy one it can cost upward of 1.5mil. So you buy a Victory spend all that money for a 1 duro ship and when you lose it your cost is more than the cost of the ship, its the cost of the mods added to it and the crew (450,000) your total loss for one ship can easily be well over 2 mil for most players. If you are a solo player, you are more likely not sail around in a first rate unless you have a bank full of money to do this over and over again.

Yes, I know only the new ships are 1 dur. But if we turn to 1 dur ships what I see that will do is

1) promote more ganking

2) hurt crafting

First, I am a casual player, been playing since before Steam Early Access release, have, I believe, 400 some hours in game, have done enough crafting to be able to craft a gold LGV, am at the rank to fully crew a third rate, and do mostly PVP.

Yesterday I was with a group of 3 Renomees. We were leaving the Jamaica area after our fourth member captured a Indianman headed into KPR. He sold the goods & was headed back to Lle Vache in a basic cutter. Part of the revenge group was still around, 2 surprises. We attacked the one, the other one fled. During the battle I decided to board the surprise with the intent to disengage. Having green marines I thought I could but with gold marines, he counter attacked me to death.

So my lovely 3/5 fir build strength speed Reno is down to 4 dur, no big deal. I still have my regular mods & enough time to work on crafting a new Reno & get mats for the permanent mods. I still will fight in this 4 dur ship.

I would have lost all my outfittings. I would have not wanted to use my gold fir surprise without the steel toolbox & extra pump. As I only had that one set, I would have just bought a grey ship from the npcs to use with my gank squad.

As I only have 2 mil & do not farm tobacco. I could see me coming broke quick having to make a new ship & new mods when I lose them.

I run in a gank squad but love even fights & try to solo hunt when no one is on. With 1 dur, I would not want to try even fights as I'm still a noob at PVP.

Its a good thing you sail in a 5th rate ship. The cost for a 3rd to 1st rates will break the bank.

1) promote more ganking

2) hurt crafting

You couldn't have explained this better Ann.  Hard core players will always have the next 1 dura ship and set of mods to pvp with.   They're casual opponents will not.  All 1 dura ship limits will do is create a solid control of the seas to hard core players who will slowly see less and less pvp while blaming it on something else.  We want casual players to PVP and we want them to be able to immediately get back out there once sunk.  

• Like 5

You couldn't have explained this better Ann. Hard core players will always have the next 1 dura ship and set of mods to pvp with. They're casual opponents will not. All 1 dura ship limits will do is create a solid control of the seas to hard core players who will slowly see less and less pvp while blaming it on something else. We want casual players to PVP and we want them to be able to immediately get back out there once sunk.

I must be the most odd casual player ever. Idont see a problem wirh the 1 dura ships. In fact i don't generally see an issu with anything that people say casuals cant cope with.

I play an hour or two when i get home from work, most days, and play four or five hours on the weekends usually. I dont grind i dont have teamspeak im in a clan of 4 and I only have one account. Of course there are days I don't play or my time is much shorter but it general this is my play time.

I thought that was a casual. What is your definition of a casual?

• Like 1

You couldn't have explained this better Ann.  Hard core players will always have the next 1 dura ship and set of mods to pvp with.   They're casual opponents will not.  All 1 dura ship limits will do is create a solid control of the seas to hard core players who will slowly see less and less pvp while blaming it on something else.  We want casual players to PVP and we want them to be able to immediately get back out there once sunk.  

Yah I try to explain to guys not every one is a hard core player and not every one has 20 1st rates and 20 million in the bank (I"m exaggerating here a bit).    The learning curve for some isn't the same for all.  I know I prob sunk about 20 times in my basic cutter before I got decent to take my snow out to play.   The learning curve was pretty tough for me back than but I only logged on back from EA to the last few patches for a few days at a time. It wasn't until about 2-3 months ago I became a very active player and i have prob over 1000 hours now in game time.  Not every one has that many hours.  Than again I'm Curse and as of this week made level 50 crafting.  I can make my own ships and keep going and plan to have a blast with these new 1 dur ships (just hope they aren't all basic ships).   We as in my clan has collected up tons of blue and green mods to just throw on them.   

Actually the problem I see is more financial. If you were to build the Victory for yourself you can spend an easy 400,000. If you were to buy one it can cost upward of 1.5mil. So you buy a Victory spend all that money for a 1 duro ship and when you lose it your cost is more than the cost of the ship, its the cost of the mods added to it and the crew (450,000) your total loss for one ship can easily be well over 2 mil for most players. If you are a solo player, you are more likely not sail around in a first rate unless you have a bank full of money to do this over and over again.

When designing an MMO, you must always assume all players will eventually reach a point where money becomes almost meaningless, or will find the exact point where risk/reward is at a balance point with the most power delivered possible. 

Therefore the differences need to be in style and purpose, and not money=size=power.  Other MMO's have for example healer classes, tanks, glass cannons, etc.

Here we seem to have a coupe of purposes currently,  shipping, sinking, and boarding, with larger ships being better at all three.  So I don't see how giving less options is somehow useless, when by and larger the options are already rather limited in effective combat. Any ship they put in that is better than current will become the new meta, (power creep), any ship they put in that is lesser will be underused, regardless of the time it was sailed in.

I must be the most odd casual player ever. Idont see a problem wirh the 1 dura ships. In fact i don't generally see an issu with anything that people say casuals cant cope with.

I play an hour or two when i get home from work, most days, and play four or five hours on the weekends usually. I dont grind i dont have teamspeak im in a clan of 4 and I only have one account. Of course there are days I don't play or my time is much shorter but it general this is my play time.

I thought that was a casual. What is your definition of a casual?

That is not the description of a "casual" player.  

Try 2 hours every other weekend (in the winter),  and some shipping/crafting in half hour stints on week days when I don't have time for a fight.

That's how I play. Level 50 Crafter, Demon pirate. My forum commenting is from work on breaks.  So I end up doing that more than actually playing.

Because of the crafting model, I can build ships way above what my class can drive. Ask other players who have better crafting than fighting numbers, those are your casuals.

That is not the description of a "casual" player.

Try 2 hours every other weekend (in the winter), and some shipping/crafting in half hour stints on week days when I don't have time for a fight.

That's how I play. Level 50 Crafter, Demon pirate. My forum commenting is from work on breaks. So I end up doing that more than actually playing.

Because of the crafting model, I can build ships way above what my class can drive. Ask other players who have better crafting than fighting numbers, those are your casuals.

Ok well i play much more than 4 hours a week lol. That is not what a casual " used to be" in other games like eq, wot, wow, etc but yes i definitely play more than 4 hours a month lol.

It reeaally annoys me that lvl 50 crafters can't craft all the ships ingame and has no real method (that makes just a little sense) to get the BPs... 

See I find it annoying you can build Nation specfic ships without having to Research the design0

1) promote more ganking

2) hurt crafting

Absolutely +1!

Absolutely +1!

I'm going to have to agree with this too.

Though I can see doing some special rare ships 1 dura.  Like gift ships and rewards for special events and maybe you turn in credits to get them.   I just don't see the system working without major over haul of doing all ships 1 dura.  I like the tier system we have now.   Though I do agree some work might need to be done as to where you get sent to if you sink.  Personnely I think it should be back to your nation capital or closest out post not the closes nation port.  This will keep folks from surrendering to get into a port cause they have dura's left on there ship and those that just keep coming out fighing over and over in a junk basic ship.

Or more and more player will use smaller ships so they can afford loosing them .... we will see ...

Or more and more player will use smaller ships so they can afford loosing them .... we will see ...

Or probaly players will sail grey ships capped or bought from Npcs....bye bye crafters :( ...

• Like 1

Or probaly players will sail grey ships capped or bought from Npcs....bye bye crafters :( ...

No. I wouldnt worry about that. I used grey ships a lot and it was good for me becourse I like the PvP without the risk of getting bankrupt for taking losses. 

That did not prevent me buying and crafting super ships, though.

• Like 1

• Open world battles: 2 circles system will be added. 1 tag circle for attack and 1 large circle for pull. Battles will close instantly on start (except for rookie zones)

Yeah! The GANKFEST is coming. Honestly.... this is no good idea!

• Crafting ships in some regions will give them regional bonuses. Controlling certain regions will become more important if you want that particular bonus for the vessel. Capital regions will not give bonuses.

NO! This will unballance the game even more. Please keep in mind, that nations are allready unballanced. This change will make the underdog nations unplayable, cause the best regions will be capped by one of the big nations immediatly. In combination with reducing the impact of upgrades it will become a game killer.

• Like 1

Two new ships will be added 

• With these two ships we will test 1 durability viability. As a result these ships will only be added to NPCs fleets and will have to be found on the OW. 

Will there be lonely Endymion / Indefatigable bots in OW or (as it is written...) will they only be in fleets ?