Game-Labs Forum

Adopt a Newcomer month.

Hethwill

I've came across, in the open world, a fair quantity of newcomers to the game.

Had good chats with them and welcomed them to the game, answered a couple questions and bid them farewell.

Would be nice for every newcomer to pair up with a veteran and learn some of the cool things about the game, experience the sailing, the different playstyles  - not talking about how to powergame.

• Like 13

I cannot agree more - this is what I've been doing right from the start.

How I do it: (besides being friendly in chat when questions are asked)

I focus on crafting good ships for new players - new players have different needs than a maxed out vet.

When I get a notification, that a ship was sold, I always check who bought it. When he has just the rank to properly crew the ship he just bought I contact him and wish him good luck and offer basic tips and advise if needed.

Especially when players are getting their first square rigged ship, a new worlds of sailing opens to them which they have to learn. (...and at first: they have to understand that there is something mandatory to learn for them now)

And last but not least:

I always make a massive discount for every rank below rank 7, 10% off for each rank. Yes, I usually loose money that way, but if you recall yourself, how hard it was for you* to get some money until you reach rank 7 then I guess you can understand why this is fine with me.

(oh, and gifting them some medipacks is always very helpful as well - we all know how expensive crew losses can become and new players loose a lot of crew and are lacking money usually)

So what do I get out of it? Hopefully a bigger and more friendly community, maybe someone who crafts parts for me to earn easy money and I sell ships which are in constant use and redeemable XP are always handy when you are not level 10. (At the moment I can redeem every day between 300-500 XP.)

*this was a general 'you', I know, in your specific case it was different, for you it was always easy and you always nearly drowned in gold. But not everyone is that gaming god that you are  ;)

Every new gamer has to learn the game and has to find their own role they enjoy to play.

2-cutest-puppy-ever.jpg

Edited by Ragor
  • Like 3

First impressions are lasting and everything helps. There are a lot of clans. There are a lot of players that do not want to join clans.

I've seen a lot of them sailing alone ( which is exactly what shouldn't be happening but paired up with a veteran fellow ) and felt really good to simply anchor for a bit in the OW and chat with them, talking about ships, the controls and answering specific questions or directing them to someone who will surely know more about a subject - for example I have no idea about trading of in depth crafting so I divert them to the players I know that are more into it and hope the newcomers get their answers.

Help channel works great and should be default chat.

• Like 3

Why should we only do it for a month? It just makes sense to make an effort to help any newcomers I can, that way you create a better atmosphere and community. People really like a decent mentor, there is a lot to be said for someone willing to help people into what is really quite a complex game that throws you in at the deep end.

• Like 2

Absolutely !!!!

There's no point in leaving anyone in the dark or badly impressed simply because we can't be arsed.

Plan our cruises and take one of the new captains with us showing a mix of long sailing, and helping out with opening a free port outpost, attacking some AI and working wind a bit. etc etc etc As opposite to "missions...xp....rank....big ship....".

I launched this as a wake up call after having some nice chats with newcomers of several nations. Most of them had a very rudimentar idea of what to do and immediately went to the "money making" path, IMO wrong wrong wrong advice from nation chats for sure.

• Like 2

Every newcomer I see in nation chat or sailing I will give them a wave and help them with whatever they need!

I remember the difficulty of starting out in this game with nothing and a cutter and no other people I know to play this game and it sucked. So I will always spend as much effort as it takes to satisfy new players and help them enjoy NA more than they ever thought they could.

• Like 3

I welcome questions and offer help to any (non-enemy) newcomers I can.  

Sadly, many do not either see or respond to PM "salutes" ... 

... and there are those percent who don't have patience to learn about the game's trading economics, the details of battle and the characteristics of the various ships.

So, newcomers ... reply to that friendly "Private Message" ... "O7" is a hand salute, not a puzzle. Ask for help and be ready to spend time learning this complex and deep system that they call a "game."

~ HK ~

• Like 3

I welcome questions and offer help to any (non-enemy) newcomers I can.  

Sadly, many do not either see or respond to PM "salutes" ... 

... and there are those percent who don't have patience to learn about the game's trading economics, the details of battle and the characteristics of the various ships.

So, newcomers ... reply to that friendly "Private Message" ... "O7" is a hand salute, not a puzzle. Ask for help and be ready to spend time learning this complex and deep system that they call a "game."

~ HK ~

I must say that quite often I don't see private messages until much later when it  actually doesn't matter anymore.

I'm already monitoring clan chat, nation chat, group chat, global chat, trader chat, allied nation chat if any, the chat window would have to be covering my whole screen in order to see all of them and see which chat is blinking.

It would be a nice addition to be able to turn on or off an audible prompt when new messages show up.