Game-Labs Forum

Rookie regions - new player experience

Captains. 

We wanted to do this long time ago, but other priorities interfered with this change.

In the forthcoming patch new players will have different spawns. 

All new created accounts (or old accounts after player deletion) will spawn in the shallow water Bahamas.

List of rookie capitals

1. Danmark–Norge: Bimini
  2. España: La Desconocida
  3. France: Walker's Cay
  4. Great Britain: West End
  5. Pirates: Marsh Harbour
  6. Sverige: Green Cay
  7. United States: Turtle Cay
  8. Verenigde Provinciën: Mimbres

Players will have a choice to spawn in the main capital, but it will not be recommended.

List of rookie regions

1. Abaco 
  2. Andros
  3. New Providence
  4. Grand Bahama

Map of new players capitals

QvxTGXb.png

Rookie zones will have a unique ROE (rules of engagement)

• All battles will start 1v1. 
  • Other players in the vicinity will not be pulled into battle and will have to enter using reinforcement circles
  • The size of the battle will be limited by Battle Rating (BR). BR will be tuned to allow 3 brigs or 5-6 lighter vessels. 
  • Battle will be opened for the weaker side until it ends or battle rating is evened out.
  • Battle rating will be checked on entry. So if the battle is full the player won't be able to unbalance the fight.
  • These changes will teach players several important game mechanics including reinforcements. They will also will provide somewhat equal battles opportunities in PVP.

Such locations will allow players to find more PvP faster as distances are closer and there always could be enemies nearby. 

We will also spawn some rare resources required for crafting in those regions allowing new players to experience port conquest right from the start and actively participate in port battles or hostility generation. 

• Like 30

We will also spawn some rare resources required for crafting in those regions allowing new players to experience port conquest right from the start and actively participate in port battles or hostility generation.

Will these regions count among the 10 map hotzones?

Will these rare resources be found only in the Bahamas and nowhere else on the map?

Will veteran players have the opportunity to operate in that area as well, but under the same ROEs?

This seems a great idea for PVP but somewhat of a bad idea for PVE, while the option to spawn in the proper capital is still there, saying it comes with a warning worries me. PVE players will end up very cut off from their national capitals, away from ships and the general economic hub of the server they will also receive less support from the more experienced players who go out of their way to help new people into the game.

• Like 4

loving the Thunderdome idea  :ph34r: but do new players spawn in with the capital outpost from the get go so that they can easily tp to their home capitals after the initiation

I really wish they up the ports to 10 instead of 8.   This is what I thought on it.  You get your capital (every one gets this one no matter what)  Than you get your starting port free and one other of your choose.   We get 2 right now so one more isn't going to really change much.   Than you can't buy your fourth one until you have made rank and you get to buy a new one with each rank you make.  This keeps folks from making a bunch of low level chars they have spread out all over the place, but by time you level to have all 10 you will be expierenced enough and involved in the game.

As for the zone I been expecting something like this with the 1 vs 1 week that was coming up.  I assume it's next week maybe?  So they can test it for something like this.  Though my only issue is that the Bahama's are a fun place to do shallow water battles, you will still have a lot of experienced players in these zones that will be limited on what they can attack it seems.   I'll be honest I would prob make a brig or even cutter just to play with new guys in these zones.   Though this is good for getting them into PB's and PvP early on as a lot of folks don't know they can get into them with a Brig or above.  

• Like 1

I like the idea. Kind of like Potbs, you need to sometime take the sail to your capital.

Will these rookie capitals be uncapturable?

I'm not a rookie but looking forward to even fights in shallow water ships. :)

Unfortunately it will be a longer sail to get resources from the Bahamas than where I have my Bahamas port now. No big deal.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 1

loving the Thunderdome idea  :ph34r: but do new players spawn in with the capital outpost from the get go so that they can easily tp to their home capitals after the initiation

If I am not too wrong currently you do not need an outpost in your capital to be able to teleport (the timered option with ship) there, opposed to teleport  (withouth timer , only yourself) between outposts.

This seems a great idea for PVP but somewhat of a bad idea for PVE, while the option to spawn in the proper capital is still there, saying it comes with a warning worries me. PVE players will end up very cut off from their national capitals, away from ships and the general economic hub of the server they will also receive less support from the more experienced players who go out of their way to help new people into the game.

This. 

Think about setting up your shipyard, which is quite costly for a new player but is done by most pretty soon after starting a character. 

It's one thing to build that in the captital, but totally useless in a remote noob area....

btw: how will "teleport to capital" work than ? With the current rules a new Dutch player eg could simply tp with his empty basic cutter from rookie area Mimbres to capital Willemstad, than give up Mimbres and build an op in Willemstad ???

Edited by Jan van Santen

Why so close to La Habana, the spanish main Capital?

One thing I love is the rules of engagement in that area. I think it should be the norm for all the map.

A ) it was done just to piss you off personally. they new this was easy to achieve so they went for it.

OR:

B ) it was done in the Bahamas, because it is the only shallow water region with a lot of ports nearby

what do you think? A or B?

Edited by Chimera
  • Like 4

So you also want to have PB's in that noob area, but these ROE allow defenders to pick apart the assault fleet by dragging them into battle one by one. Or will the BR limit still be in effect, even if you can't drag the whole fleet?

Edited by Knobby

I must admit that I'm not too fond of this idea. Admittedly I've never fought in the Bahamas yet, but it's kind of in the middle of the map and having a carebear zone there is likely to drag people away from the rest of the map and the RvR. And if this is a noob-only zone it would cut the veterans off from a lot of excellently strategic and fun tactical shallow water port conquest.

Also, having 2 capitals just makes me very confused. But I'll await and see how this is implemented and if it'll work better than I imagine.

• Like 1

My prediction: Nations that cannot win at the normal RVR, will decide to focus their efforts on winning the noob-zone RvR.

And Veterans will have to put aside an outpost and ships in the Bahamas to help their nation's noobs up there. It's going to be just another area to complain about us being far off and not patrolling.

• Like 1

Why the US hate?  All the proposed ports are traditionally USA held ports.  The area is right on the USA and spanish coast.   The USA/Spanish will suddenly have every stinking nation right on our doorstep.  Will they be able to pull flags from these ports?

Suggestion:  Use the bermuda triangle as the "Newbie zone" or better yet, put the islands in the pacific.  Copy those islands and place them out in the dead ocean space.  

Edited by Salty Dog PVP1
  • Like 5

Why the US hate?  All the proposed ports are traditionally USA held ports.  The area is right on the USA East coast.   The US will suddenly have every stinking nation right on our doorstep.  Will they be able to pull flags from these ports?

Suggestion:  Use the bermuda triangle as the "Newbie zone" or better yet, put the islands in the pacific.  Copy those islands and place them out in the dead ocean space.  

To much extent I agree with this. Pacific coast for starting is a great idea, not sure that we need 'rookie zones' in the PVP theatre. Green zones in capital waters is tolerable. However, I don't want to be sailing around and realize, 'oh, I can attack people here, wait, now I cannot, oh, now I can again'. Let's not turn the map into a checkerboard of safe/unsafe zones.

New guys still have to grind (unfortunately), and Pac. coast allows them a 'safe' area to do that. It might also help if players need to 'cool down' and rebuild their fleets a bit, assuming that ships they've built there can be teleported to ports in the PVP area.

Why the US hate?  All the proposed ports are traditionally USA held ports.  The area is right on the USA and spanish coast.   The USA/Spanish will suddenly have every stinking nation right on our doorstep.  Will they be able to pull flags from these ports?

'Traditionally held?'

They aren't historically U.S. ports. The U.S. took over these pointless shallow water areas in former iterations of an obsolete conquest system.

Sorry if a better game is interfering with some nation's e-peen.

The OP doesn't specify, but I would be shocked if a dedicated newbie zone could serve as a base for conquest.

• Like 2

'Traditionally held?'

They aren't historically U.S. ports. The U.S. took over these pointless shallow water areas in former iterations of an obsolete conquest system.

Sorry if a better game is interfering with some nation's e-peen.

The OP doesn't specify, but I would be shocked if a dedicated newbie zone could serve as a base for conquest.

I would hope it wouldn't be a base for conquest, but the DEV's didn't say one way or another.  I guess with the new PB mechanic, it probably doesn't matter.  I still think putting the Newbie zone in a different location would be better.  Lots of unused ocean.  Dumping it into the pacific IMHO would be the best location, it is already planned to be a PVE zone.  Just make it a PVE/Newbie zone.  

As far as "Historically US ports"...Granted.  Game play wise, the USA does see them as important buffer ports for east cost security.  

Edited by Salty Dog PVP1
  • Like 1

Hello

Usually I think that Devs have great ideas.... but on this one I feel like Anolytic. PVP servers are for PVP and those, even Young in the game, afraid of it, can start and make their teath on the PVE server before to come back to the PVP servers... so it may be wise to suggest to new players to test the PVE to learn a bit about the game before coming on the PVP severs.... but it would be nice to keep the PVP servers without any 'zones' and specific rules. This is my opinion.... When people will leave this safe zone? After the third rank? But then the fourth rank will be the weakest.. should we have a zone for cerb and light frig? and then one for 5 rates? Advise to people joining the game should be to do some PVE if they want to stay alone and free, or join a socety that will have the duty to take care of them... or take care of themself in a wargame

Yep. Let players learn the game in PVE environments. I have no problem with letting their craft/rank XP carry over to the Caribbean, because I don't want them to feel like their grinding time was wasted and they have to start all over if they want to try PVP, but I feel like the developer's approach is only gonna dumb things down in the PVP realm.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 2

I totally agree with you. Very stupid idea with location. What about Port Battles and Veterans sailing there? This idea will cause 1000 new problems instead of one. Salty Dog's idea is awesome.

Nothing, Veterans will club seals until there is no one left.  :D

• Like 2

This is a horrible idea. The northern Bahamas are vital for the security of the US Eastern seabord. This would leave the US with one thin line to advance down (eastern Florida) while embedding numerous enemies on our flank.

Pacific is a much better new player area.

Edited by GrapeShot
  • Like 1