Game-Labs Forum

Free town changes - Important

From the "Port changes next content patch" thread.

From this thread.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your post.

It clarifies some things but brings up some other questions.

You cited this quote:

In October resource map will change requiring reset of production buildings.

regarding production buildings.

So if I have a level 3 shipyard, I would have to "reset" it (presuming that I have to build it again--correct?)?

Building a level 3 shipyard is quite expensive.

Would I receive a redeemable in gold (or a shipyard redeemable) so that I can set up/restore that shipyard to the previous condition that it was in?

You also cited this quote:

The free town status will switch from a port to another. All the player assets (outpost, ships, warehouse) of the ex -free town will be transferred to the new free town.

It says "player assets".

If a clan has a clan warehouse, will the clan warehouse (and everything inside it) be transferred to the new free town?

Thank you.

You cited this quote:

regarding production buildings.

So if I have a level 3 shipyard, I would have to "reset" it (presuming that I have to build it again--correct?)?

Building a level 3 shipyard is quite expensive.

Would I receive a redeemable in gold (or a shipyard redeemable) so that I can set up/restore that shipyard to the previous condition that it was in?

This isn't going to happen until October, so the devs probably don't yet have plans for how to deal with that. Let's concentrate on this September patch first.

But as a sidenote, this is a game in alpha, you should expect some losses. My expectation is that our buildings and production will not be compensated. If they compensate, that could be as a flat redeemable sum of gold given equally to all players regardless of how many shipyards or buildings each player has invested in.

What does "Green Cay (N)-W", "Bimini ( B)-D" and "Mimbres (N)-UP" (and more) mean on the new map? Does that mean those ports were historically owned by Sweden, Denmark and United Provinces respectably? And does this have any impact on region ownerships after the wipe?

Answer to that you will find in this thread

ok, not seeing mention of this port.... will the West Florida Freeport (Coya Del Anclote), be affected at all in this transision? or will it remain a freeport?

If you look at the map, that freeport is still marked as a freeport and is currently not scheduled to change status.

Key West  -  Las Tortugas

Please make it easier to enter and exit Las Tortugas.  The entrance to Las Tortugas is very difficult and impossible if you have winds from the east.   At Least give a few more channels or quadruple the size of the current channel into Las Tortugas. 

• Like 5

Each time I read this changes Im more certain of one thing:

The new resource distribution should be deployed in the same patch which has the new region system. Both new changes depends too much from the other, it shouldnt be deployed separately.

Im saying this even knowing that this will imply a delay of the patch schedule.

I agree. Moving so many free ports causes us to re-think our resource buildings as well. So... realistically, most players will probably end up changing their production ports twice: Once with port changes and once with resource changes.

Zap

I agree. Moving so many free ports causes us to re-think our resource buildings as well. So... realistically, most players will probably end up changing their production ports twice: Once with port changes and once with resource changes.

Zap

resource production buildings will all be destroyed during reset

compensation will be provided in monetary form.

so if you have invested 1 mln in production buildings you will not have buildings but will have 1 mln on account.

• Like 6

Admin,

Great job on a very clear and concise OP !  Well defined.

The free port changes are a bummer for pvp2 France since most of us are in Cano Macareo, and the new/transferred location sucks.  But at least we know what to do now, so thank you for this thread, looks like some fun and interesting changes about to occur.

Wow, cash for buildings, that's more than I expected, makes it a piece of cake to move forward, no losses if you craft it all the night before.

I understand raiding (ganking) is part of a game, but are you willing to sacrifice player numbers? Why not convert free ports into trader only ports and let neighbor Nations who are on the border raid nextdoor routes. Those (other nations) who want to gank have to risk with no ports to hide.

What I mean is if you sailed into my waters and you want to gank? please gank. But if we catch you, you won't have ports to run to and you will sink. Risk is yours. On the other hand, Our neighbor has ports close by and is at war with us. He officially can do whatever he wants and run to his ports near by.

Benefits:

-reduce distant ganking squads from entering regions without risk and hurting trade routes during war with next door nation.

-allow more direct fights with neighbor nation during the conflict.

Freetowns are absolutely needed by privateers. Take them away and you make everybody hug their home waters.

People hopping in and out of a port os the problem, not patrols looking to do commerce raiding, but that is a separate issue.

I like the free town north of CT. I alwats thought that was needed.

Freetowns are absolutely needed by privateers. Take them away and you make everybody hug their home waters.

People hopping in and out of a port os the problem, not patrols looking to do commerce raiding, but that is a separate issue.

I like the free town north of CT. I alwats thought that was needed.

Freeports in their current version make borders and territory mean nothing. It would be a good idea I think to remove all but a couple of historic Freetowns so that players are forced to do their raiding and PvP out of border regions. And can't jump far behind enemy lines. This would also help ensure safer homewaters and reduce the need for a noob-zone in the Bahamas.
  • Like 2

I want to sail the entire map, not just a slice of it.

You can still do that. Everywhere you have outposts in freetowns, you had to sail there once to put up the outpost. With the new alliance system and basically just two blocks, your territorry combined with your allies' territory will be give you access to pretty much the entire map and safe harbours to dock up.

Removing freetowns completely would be a smart move. If they remain pvp will be reduced greatly and gank will prosper. Ex. we spent so much time preparing for a fight , but enemy escaped into a free port and remained there. Disappointed we logged from the game. (some group in chat).

P.S. Looks like US got 2 free ports and one right in the middle of Econ ground. Not sure why devs did it, but it surely will hurt traders and kill population if gank squads settle there, but they know better what to do. 

How I see it. Come out gank go back in free town. 

HggV17c.jpg

Taking the optimistic view the US population will be concentrated in this area when the ports reset so the raiders will have less of an opportunity to hit traders. Notice I use the term raider not "gank squad" because raiding shipping lanes is a legitimate tactic for pirates, privateers and even  national warships. Is Pagan Pete on his privateer a "gank squad"? Even the recent Swedish invasion fleet (4 ships) can be dealt with by players in the area. One may even get more pvp rather than less as you suggest.

• Like 6

free towns serve another important purpose - resource deliveries. Removing them will make crafters/builders life much harder. 

Sunbury existed before close to the US capital and had no significant influence on the player numbers. 

I don't really think they serve that purpose. Crafters avoid free ports like plague because it's where most gank squads sit. Removing them will also make RvR easier, because people will have to hide their fleets in nearest friendly ports, that will create actual frontlines. And if you care about pirates, just add some unconquerable pirate ports instead on the map.