Game-Labs Forum

USS Constitution Spritsail

Hi there,

I recall this coming up on the forums some time ago, but I believe it was established that USS Constitution did not carry a spritsail as her 3D model currently does.  Any chance this could be addressed?

Cheers--

Yes. 

That ship requires a minor update to hull as well

but can it wait?

Her lower yards need to be moved down as well, and one of the mizzen topgallant (topsail?) is misshapen.

Remember to delete Trincomalee's spritsail and Victory's spritsail topsail as well.

But yeah, it can wait.

• Like 2

Yes. 

but can it wait?

Yep, can absolutely wait.  Just making sure you guys know.

In terms of the hull, does that include both hull shape and stern decoration/design?

Thanks--

Yes. 

but can it wait?

No? :P

(actually, that slab-sided hull combined with her hull thickness nerf is a double-nerf to the actual design under the new penetration system.  Belle Poule > Constitution.)

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Congrats on a wonderful update.  Now that Indefatigable and Endymion are in the game (beautiful work by the way), it's my understanding that these ships have been given thicker hulls than Constitution.  To my knowledge, this is not historically accurate--while Indefatigable was a razeed ship-of-the-line and Endymion a purpose-built 24-pounder frigate, neither had the same sorts of full-length diagonal riders that gave Constitution her incredible structural integrity and hull thickness (Constitution had timbers in excess of 21 inches thick).  Furthermore, on certain points of sail Constitution was disposed to make 13 or 14 knots and I recall was regarded as having at least decent sailing qualities at about 60 degrees off the wind.  Any chance these things could be corrected in the next update along with the spritsail issue and the hull model redesign?

Thanks for all you guys do.

Cheers--

Sorry--just Indefatigable then.  Though ships of the line occasionally had short diagonal riders, they didn't have the full ones that Constitution had.  Would also love an update to the hull shape and decorations if possible.

Thanks!

Constitution's hull thickness was in reality comparable to Bellona.

Constitution = Bellona

Agamemnon = Indefatigable

Agamemnon < Bellona

Therefore:

Indefatigable < Constitution

Just put Constitution next to Indefatigable and you will see which has the larger hull.

Upper most yes,that is poop and quarter decks, but below that mid and lower deck she was stronger.

Her main guns were better protected ie: 24 and 32 Pdrs.

But as for the Connie, well she and her other two frigates were a match for the British early frigates, it was not till the Brits had 44 gun ships that the balance was becoming equal.

As we know this war between USA and Britain came to an end very soon.

So the British 44 gun frigates were not really tested.

Great subject though, history's like that.