Game-Labs Forum

Open world ship's telescope

For a while I have been wondering why we have a telescope to see ships closer in open world. It doesn't seem that we see more or get more information by looking at the scope.

In the regular view you can select a boat that is barely a dot in the horizon and get full information on it. Furthermore you don't see more in the haze whether you look with or without the scope. Bigger doesn't really make a big difference since we're all looking at screens.

Suggestion: 

First make ship visually "sink" in the horizon to simulate curvature of the earth . A ship far away might show only the top of the mast depending on the size of the ship.

If you want to see more switch to the telescope to simulate sending a lookout up the mast and you'll see more of the ship since you're higher (you are reducing the angle created by the curve of the earth).

Second, to enhance the contrast between regular view and telescope view, make it so in the regular view ships can only be seen as they are and without any information and data; Then when you switch to telescope view, it lets you identify a ship in the horizon with all the data as we currently do.

Third, remove some of the haze while in telescope view. Some ships may appear that you could not see while "naked eyes" or land features, flags etc... that you where too far to see are now clearer.

As a whole this is more realistic than clicking from one spot to another regardless of how far they are. You identify one boat at a time with the glass. 

Also it simulates the ability to see past the curvature of the earth by climbing up the mast as well as collecting more light in the scope to cut through some of the haze or darkness of the night.

• Like 1

The open world spy glass actually does have a purpose. With the glass you can see if a ship at the edge of rendering distance is sailing towards you or away from you. I also use it to see a port in the hazy distance. You can sometimes just see it against the background mountains.

That being said, i'm all for an improved open world spyglass 

• Like 1

If only we had some kind of directional indicator to show where we were looking in relation to the ship (other than the water movement) or at least have our normal view match the same direction as our telescope view when that mode was exited.

• Like 2

If only we had some kind of directional indicator to show where we were looking in relation to the ship (other than the water movement) or at least have our normal view match the same direction as our telescope view when that mode was exited.

i don't know if you never play Tripwire's (if not go and play RO!) games but Ro series and killing floor for me have a good solution to this 

bs9.jpg

i don't know anything about coding, so i don't know if this is possible in NA but with this you always have perception of what you have around you

i don't know if you never play Tripwire's (if not go and play RO!) games but Ro series and killing floor for me have a good solution to this

bs9.jpg

i don't know anything about coding, so i don't know if this is possible in NA but with this you always have perception of what you have around you

Great idea (if its possible). Great game too.

I like to play with the UI off. ( Ctrl H). It would be just fantastic if we had national colours, paint schemes, static flags in OW . That way the spyglass would be an effective tool to enable identifying a ship's country of origin.

Apologies in advance if it is taboo to suggest this idea. I mentioned it before but my post was deleted.

• Like 1

hi captains

well its all about Haze

when you are on the water in the morning there is haze

at night you have clear sky  

in the afternoon you would have depending on the weather bad visibility or reasonable good sight for in the distance 

you can see a sail on the horizon with no haze

in the game we have a very bad haze all the time

you could actually see ship for over a distance of 15 miles on the water 

and with a good glass you can see them clearly (specially in the high mast or observation platform)

also the glass need more detail and clearer  sights

also a clean glass is normal practice 

a navy captain with a dirty glass would give a spank to the cabin boy

-improvements:

* so the haze needs tuning

* time of day/ night needs tuning on developing fog on the water

* clear nights

* glass needs a better tuning (and clean as well)

* clear view in the distance 15 miles on good days

* on some points heavy fog and doldrums

* also the water needs more high color (is all looking very grey/darck blue overall  look or that is just my settings )

* in storms we need higher waves where tall ships are only visible by the recognition from the top masts (AND that can even be with good color, and not only grey)

* brighter colors for overall game color

therefore>> if ....weather conditions and colorization in the game is not that  good implemented (as it is for now) i would actually suggest a removal of the haze at this point  of development

there is a lot to improve and i believe that balance will be found

look for haze in the vid

Edited by Thonys