Game-Labs Forum

Paint schemes requests

admin

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Le Requin

= Paint schème of the historical ship model of Le Requin (or L'Indiscret, her sister ship) that was made at the same time as both ships (1750). 

Colors : black, brown, red ochre, gold (sculpture)

Model displayed at the Naval Museum with several pics (details) here.

M5026-1999-DE-0222-4.jpg?key=022f62zgt74n6z3wj3mhpyx00htk8e4k5&thumbw=10000&thumbh=7500

The sails could be all white (as above)  or even better, two white and one red ochre as below :

f4016.jpg

PS : differences in the colors (ocre, white...) of the sails was a way to recognize a known ship at sea.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

Now that the dlc painter have been released, here is the list of ships with no paint options:

-cutter - privateer - trader lynx/lynx - trader brig/brig - snow/t-snow

-Surprise - frigate /p-frigate - hercules - le requin - Endymion - Indefatigable - Hermione - (Cerberus would benefit better ones too) - Indiaman - Le gros ventre

-Aggamemnon - 3rd rate - Ocean

All those ships would benefit from having at least 3 choices: black with white stripe, black with wood stripe, black with red stripe.

Then maybe we can talk about original ones like pink stripes, the red & black wih thin white stripe (ala Santa Cecilia my favorite) , white + grey + thin red stripe ala Wasa, Swede blue & wood, French (hermione scheme), Brest harbour, Black with thin white stripe & thin red line (ala lgv refit) & other black&wood variants.

I've bought the dlc for support, but now that most of the ships benefiting from paints dlc are behind rng permits, i think including the non-permits ones should be a priority.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 1

@Baptiste Gallouédec

Hoping these ships will get something too. I guess it takes time and work... Not sure every ship will get an additional paint.

I don't know whether or not you read this additional hint :

On 3/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, admin said:

there are 49 approved paints (they are in paint chest - that drops from the treasure fleet event). In total there is currently around 100+ additional unapproved paints. almost all or all will get to DLC.

For La Renommée

Paint scheme of a French Corvette/light frigate of the 18th century

wY018wB.png

Painting of the quays at Bordeaux (France). (Thus the 'Bordeaux paint scheme' ?)

= a kind of faded, washed-out version of the Vanilla paint scheme of in-game La Renommée, but with :

• a French arming cloth (pavois) blue canvas studded with yellow fleurs de lys and framed with stripes that look yellow but might be white (according to a law of 1670)
  • a brighter red-ochre colour on the desks
  • red-ochre on the masts
  • window frames in yellow/gold  :

Uq68Sxy.png

EAAM4YQ.jpg

Edited by LeBoiteux
with info found in various posts below

9 hours ago, Malachi said:

Pretty sure that the blue stripe with the fleur de lis is painted canvas, I think the English name is arming cloth (the british version was red with a thin white stripe).

Do you really mean by "painted canvas" that it was painted on a long canvas by a painter then fixed all around the ship ? Or was it an embroidered cloth ?

By 'arming cloth" , you mean a cloth (?) depicting the Arms of a nation (fleur de lys for France on blue, red and white stripes for UK), right ? When was the ship 'dressed with this 'cloth' ? Only on occasions, right ?

One can see on this very painting that this ship carries :

• une flamme de guerre :

zcjxdhW.png

• le grand pavillon de poupe :

em9RMcS.png

As a consequence, under this cloth, the topsides were certainly black (or say grey if one wants them a bit more faded), right ?

On 3/29/2019 at 8:02 AM, LeBoiteux said:

Do you really mean by "painted canvas" that it was painted on a long canvas by a painter then fixed all around the ship ?

Canvas = same material the sails are made of ;)

These arming cloths (or 'fights') were the precursor of the hammock netting, in use until the middle of the 18th century.

The pic you posted is the only one I know where french arming cloths are depicted.

Here is the british version, red with a thin white border:

Boscawen (ex-La Medée), 1752

'Resolution in a Gale', Van de Velde, ca. 1678

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Malachi said:

The pic you posted is the only one I know where french arming cloths are depicted.

Keep searching, you'll find more, e.g. here...

La Ville de Paris (along quarter deck only):

la-ville-de-paris.jpg

Le Terrible (Fleurs de lys painted over - like the flags - during the Revolution):

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b550024054/f1.item.r=le%20terrible%20vaisseau.zoom

Originally, it looked like that (bad quality picture only, sorry):

https://www.google.ch/search?q=le+terrible+vaisseau+110&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVw7-Yg6jhAhUHsaQKHeALDiEQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1178&bih=622#imgrc=I_QoNAWTzjTBZM:

Edited by Wagram
  • Like 2

So, about the blue painting on the upper parts of the topsides of L'Hermione I framed in red :

• Is it a kind of modern mistake, a painted representation of what was in fact at that time a French arming cloth ?
  • or was this very paint really used there at that time, maybe to look like/replace/fake an arming cloth ?

CNFWsnC.jpg

Edited by LeBoiteux

21 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

So, about the blue painting on the upper parts of the topsides of L'Hermione I framed in red :

• Is it a kind of modern mistake, a painted representation of what was in fact at that time a French arming cloth ?
  • or was this very paint really used there at that time, maybe to look like/replace/fake an arming cloth ?

CNFWsnC.jpg

Hardly a mistake, in my opinion, as it was quite the habit to paint the upper parts of the hull wall in a different/emblematic colour, and certainly not intended to fake or replace arming cloths. As far as I can see arming cloths - of both decorative and, to some extent, protective value -were mainly used to cover open railings, apparently often repeating the paint scheme of the upper walls. Lavish extra decoration of the upper wall with fleurs de lys was no longer the fashion in the later 18th century (and probably deemed too costly as well), so they usually were omitted on the ship's wall but, evidently, not (always) on the arming cloths which, after all, were moveable items, easily stowed and reusable on any vessel.

Edited by Wagram
  • Like 1

@Wagram  Thx very much for this convincing and meticulous explanation (as always). 🙂

(edit) Arming cloth that could be with or without fleur de lys, depending on the political regime (monarchy, revolution-empire, restoration), I guess ? 

What is the French word(s) for "arming cloth' ?

Edited by LeBoiteux