Game-Labs Forum

Spain is at War

Senhor Lenhador

In reality, the results today is not surprising.

English occupies a central position for hitting opponents where they want but, hegemonically shifted west so as not to fear the three nations to the east. This is also why the English choice is called "easy."

The English account, alone, 35% of players, giving them a coordinated strike force unparalleled.

The most powerful force of its opponents, the France with 17%, comes up against a force equivalent, the Netherlands, binding both to a daily defense strategy.

English coalition represents 55% of the population of the server and is the only one to have forces to exploit blocking timers and attack undefended ports.

You call it easy, we call it neutralizing an opponent in a well played campaing. Our playerbase is not representative for our RvR fleet size. According to the number of votes casted in the first voting round, the GB playerbase populates the PvP1 server for about 35%. This percentage is for a large part active outside the EU primetime.  Using a timer is not an exploit, attacking an undefended port is not our fault but your own.

The Spaniards only 10% of the population of the game, despite their courage and their will can not resist because, completely isolated in the west.
When the Spaniards, discouraged, will  have massively left the game, the English can easily attack where they want and do the same thing with any another nation with the same result.

We acknowledge the courage of many Spanish Captains, the isolation of your position and the lack of allied assistance. Peoples choice to stay or leave based is often based on many motivations. Sure enough for some losing a game can be one of them, but surely these are not are the brave.  

Therefore, this game will be balanced again when the port attack system has evolved, too, especially if the Spanish capital is moved to an area closer to its natural allies, Cartagena de Indias or Portobello. Which would, moreover, more in line with Spanish Caribbean in the late eighteenth century.

Consequently, English friends, have the decency to not pretend teaching strategy to your opponents and do not burden them under the arrogance of the victor.

Alanxo Basque Privateer

A game can't be balanced in any other way than equal opportunity. A major improvement is equal opportunity. This could possibly achieved by blocking flagpulls against a nation when that nation is already in a PB fight with another nation (for example: 1 fight per nation at the same moment.

We do not pretend anything - we just do it. Thats not arrogance its perceverance and the will to win.

Edited by Gooneybird

So will the new Region Zone mechanic be enough to balance it out over time-zones?

I hope so. But I can't know for sure, so I'll keep myself on Brace. :)

I'm very curious about this myself. I'm just not quite sure what the developers have in mind for a system that will allow someone who is sleeping to defend against someone who is awake, regardless of whether port timers exist or not. I guess we'll have to see how it works when the new port battle update goes live.

In the mean time, I'm browsing realtor ads for low-rent apartments in allied nations, because the US simply doesn't have the numbers to defend the amount of ports we have. I just hope we are more graceful in defeat, and accept that we may have to resort to guerrilla warfare or supporting roles rather than homeland defense.

I keep thinking of Sting's "Englishman in New York", only it'll be Willemstad and Kingston filled with homeless expatriated US captains falling down drunk in the alleys behind their taverns. As the British said of American troops stationed in their country during WW2, "They're overpaid, oversexed, and over here."  :lol:

Edited by ajffighter86

I would personally like to apologise to any of the Spanish captains fighting outside of Robres last night (Tuesdaz), who I might have offended.

We were met by an impressive Spanish fleet, who pulled us into battle, and proceeded to wipe the floor with us.

At one stage I made a derogative general observation of the ship I was fighting, who despite a high numerical superioirity in numbers, turned and ran after receiving a broadside of double charge

This was not intended as an attack on all Spanish players, and I apologise if anyone was offended

• Like 1

UK, USA and VP against Spain....very impressive organización but too easy. Spain cant afford a fight vs 3 or 4 big flees at the same time. Our allies are too far from our ports. You win. Then you set timers at 06:00 am...very unfair. This is a fact not a cry. We will fight, we can win or we can lose but we never surrender, but we will choose the battles not you.

PD. August 29, 35°/45° degrees....holidays and gin tonics at night its better than NA

Its not that they are to far (Dutch are more or less as far away France from you), its just that you have allies that give 0 fucks about you and your well being. :)

This thread may actually inspire the devs to develop a proper peace negotiation mechanic with a war score system and the possibility to enforce a truce between two nations once peace is signed. A nation with a high enough war score could impose it's terms on the losing side,including a 1 month truce, for example.

I now they are suppose to enhance the diplomatic aspect in a future patch, but I wonder if they plan to go as far.

• Like 4

Alliance + pb system are  respectively still waiting for final itteration / major overhaul.

Regarding the timers, a sollution was proposed in activity based port battles. Meaning in order to attack a port, one side has to 'weaken' it over a certain period (hours, days perhaps) before it would be open to attack due to being 'weakened'.

This might not fully negate the timers yet it allows both parties to prep and attack during their prime times, effectively solving the discontent parties are having now.

This would be an incentive for both parties to put effort in the local pvp since this either increases of decreases the 'weaking treshhold' of the port.

• Like 3

This thread may actually inspire the devs to develop a proper peace negotiation mechanic with a war score system and the possibility to enforce a truce between two nations once peace is signed. A nation with a high enough war score could impose it's terms on the losing side,including a 1 month truce, for example.

I now they are suppose to enhance the diplomatic aspect in a future patch, but I wonder if they plan to go as far.

Oh yes, the perfect idea. So, you are saying that after being defeated the winner can impose something into the defeated? If they do that, I'm done with this game.

We will fight until we have no ships, and in that scenario, we will fight with grey ships from the shop.

We will not surrender. Never.

• Like 2

Alliance + pb system are  respectively still waiting for final itteration / major overhaul.

Regarding the timers, a sollution was proposed in activity based port battles. Meaning in order to attack a port, one side has to 'weaken' it over a certain period (hours, days perhaps) before it would be open to attack due to being 'weakened'.

This might not fully negate the timers yet it allows both parties to prep and attack during their prime times, effectively solving the discontent parties are having now.

This would be an incentive for both parties to put effort in the local pvp since this either increases of decreases the 'weaking treshhold' of the port.

Correct me if im wrong, but i do believe that there was also a mention of a limit to how many ports can be initiated for attack at a single time? Any idea how many ports at once will be attachable and will that limit be global or per nation ? 

I am very sad to say that, but I think this is the end of the Spanish faction in this game for several reasons ............. is the second time that the spanish base player is destroyed, and that is very difficult to recover ...... Also, if you are a Spanish-speaking player, and you enter the game, first thing you see game is only in English ...... and it pulls back a lot of people .......... and if this is not enough ........ this is what they read those being Spanish-speaking entering steam to know if is good to purchase the game... ...

Only some samples.

Unbalanced completely in favor of British and Americans. Little progress since January gameplay and always benefiting them.

Total waste of time if you are a busy gentelmen. Brits & US clans crying for devs to Implementing everytime Against other nations politics.

If you want to buy and play this game, remember:

Exploits in game used by US & UK are features game. For others impossible of use Because there is no fair play.

So, if you want to start a Game with lost war from the beginning, this is your game!

Totally unbalanced, and developers only support the MOST Numerous faction.

It may be the best game of its kind but ........

Imbalance factional very accentuated, being small at the mercy of the big ones.

-Benefits Anglo-Saxon players.

unless US be my recommendation today is that they do not buy it. Wait to see if the developers decide to give equal opportunities.

These are not my words these are analysis from spoken spanish players in steam... Sure you say this is not true, but people that want purchase a game don`t know.

If some south american player purchase this game, It will be playing with british or USA........ Not with Spain.... 

Yes, my british friends, for first time, now you can truly say me I'm lamenting and crying.......... Because I love this game, and due to the lack of my english, I can't take another faction, as danes or french...........and probably I must have to let this game to play another one.......... 

I have tried by all means that the English understand that only let us fight with ports south of Cuba, is enough for us to have the unreal feeling to do something ..... But not so ....... I just received insults, ofences and teasing because all they want is the complete annihilation of the Spanish faction ....

I'm sure you will say don't want that, but you are doing everything possible to make it happen.

On February I said many times....... Spain will be the truly pirates on this game...... Alone and out of the map....... 
  • Like 2

Oh yes, the perfect idea. So, you are saying that after being defeated the winner can impose something into the defeated? If they do that, I'm done with this game.

We will fight until we have no ships, and in that scenario, we will fight with grey ships from the shop.

Why would we do that? Historically, defeated country had to sign peace under the victor's terms. After all, Napoleon invaded more than half of Europe, installed his cronies as kings of other nations and then those nations fought as his allies. Same in every war (quisling states).

From real life point of view, why would anyone want to fight a losing war in basic ships, day in day out? This game already takes a lot of time to play with the sailing and length of battles, why then spend all that time cornered in 2-3 ports sailing out of ports just to get (most likely) raped for an hour or two and then just sail back in depressed, pissed off and tired?

From gameplay point of view, I want to enjoy this game and everything it has to offer from crafting to pvp, not just get stuck in an endless pvp cycle with nothing else to do. 

EDIT: Spanish nation is not only for Spaniards, just like British nation is not only for Britons, etc. Anyone can play any nation they like. So, it should not be expected that if you join a nation then in that nation chat the language of the real world nation will be spoken. And besides, when i joined Spain 90% of the chat is in Spanish.

Maybe dedicated servers based on language, like World of Warcraft has? But it would kill the population on all servers.

Edited by Todbringer

It would be a matter of balance, as in everything.

For example, It could be a system similar to Europa universalis. Each port or region taken in the peace deal would cost a war score %. If a nation has a war score of 100% and a full region is worth 33%, the winner could ask for no more than 3 regions from the loser, the rest would revert back to its original owner and a truce would automatically fire, allowing a losing side to recover and prepare for the rematch. The losing side would also have an incentive to negotiate early if they don't want the war score to tip too much in favour of the victor, but no matter had badly the war goes, you could not be wiped out of the map.

A 100% war score would represent a clear victory, but could open the possibility to enforce peace. I would actually prefer this to the forced alliance with only the capital remaining, as proposed by the devs.

I just don't know if this would be doable in a sandbox involving only 8 nations, as opposed to the hundreds in EU IV.

Edited by Serk

Correct me if im wrong, but i do believe that there was also a mention of a limit to how many ports can be initiated for attack at a single time? Any idea how many ports at once will be attachable and will that limit be global or per nation ? 

From what i understood, you have to cause unrest near enemy ports. If that port reaches top 10 status of ports with most unres ( global most likely)t, it would be having a conquest 48 hours later. Admin posted it somehwere in the threads.

In the future i hope the game will support more languages in their UI, i assume this will be part of the UI patch.

Unbalanced completely in favor of British and Americans. Little progress since January gameplay and always benefiting them.

Total waste of time if you are a busy gentelmen. Brits & US clans crying for devs to Implementing everytime Against other nations politics.
Exploits in game used by US & UK are features game. For others impossible of use Because there is no fair play.
So, if you want to start a Game with lost war from the beginning, this is your game!

unless US be my recommendation today is that they do not buy it. Wait to see if the developers decide to give equal opportunities.

What i personally find the saddest about this is, it's a complex which creates a never ending negative spiral.

There really isn't a thing such as Brit favoritism, but if people continue to shout if, people will think its true and always abide by it.

You say that you encourage people to not buy it and others are encouraged to not play as spain (by other spaniards), do you understand that you are creating/making worse the situation you find yourself in by doing this?

1. Just doesn't make sense since everyone starts with equal opportunity in this game. Every mechanic has either influences everyone, national or pirates. There has been no distiction between french, dutch, spaniards, brits, whatever.

2. i'm not even gonna get into this. Just because you refuse the try to see a certain situation from another angle doesn't make it by default biased against you.

3. I'm curious where you even come up with this stuff...

4. I do to an extend agree with you here. Large faction as by default easier able to attack smaller nations. However you decided you use it AGAIN as a brit bashing opportunity, where was this complaint when the pirates were the biggest faction in the game? Be fair, and change it to:

-Benefits brits or pirates.
5. Please tell me what unjustice has been done specifically to the Spanish nation that hasn't been done to any other nation? I'm all ears.

And this attitude is one of the problems.

if you could have a war that ends with a winner and a looser people could move on and the cards could get reshuffled. If their is always somebody biting your leg and crying "vendetta" players get fedup and you get flamewars on the forums like this where people call each other "cancer" and worse because it has left the realm of being a game. Obviously without a game mechanic we cant just measure our strength in a game, congratulate each other on a good fight and maybe even change alliances on a frequent basis.

• Like 1

It would be a matter of balance, as in everything.

For example, It could be a system similar to Europa universalis. Each port or region taken in the peace deal would cost a war score %. If a nation has a war score of 100% and a full region is worth 33%, the winner could ask for no more than 3 regions from the loser, the rest would revert back to its original owner and a truce would automatically fire, allowing a losing side to recover and prepare for the rematch. The losing side would also have an incentive to negotiate early if they don't want the war score to tip too much in favour of the victor, but no matter had badly the war goes, you could not be wiped out of the map.

A 100% war score would represent a clear victory, but could open the possibility to enforce peace. I would actually prefer this to the forced alliance with only the capital remaining, as proposed by the devs.

I just don't know if this would be doable in a sandbox involving only 8 nations, as opposed to the hundreds in EU IV.

My idea in conquest suggestion thread was maybe something similar to Vichy France status combined with Europa universalis conquest rules? Defeated nation would get most of it's ports back (but not all) but it would be in some kind of forced neutrality for a certain amount of time. Winning nation would get a reward and get to keep part of the captured ports. Losing nation would get some time to rebuild and enter game again, but a bit weaker.

It might lead to a death spiral but it also might be a chance for a losing nation to, with rebuilding, more organization, more experience etc to find allies and weaken or defeat the previously winning nation.

5. Please tell me what unjustice has been done specifically to the Spanish nation that hasn't been done to any other nation? I'm all ears.

Your'e asking to me?......... Sorry, not........ entering steam and ask people wrote that......... I only cutted, copied and traslate with google traslator.......... These are not my point of view, this is what people interested in this game read when entering in steam, not my opinion......... These are just samples of what people who  played with spain think.... And what watch people who entering steam to know how game is.

Edited by Alvar Fanez de Minaya

I am very sad to say that, but I think this is the end of the Spanish faction in this game for several reasons ............. is the second time that the spanish base player is destroyed, and that is very difficult to recover ...... Also, if you are a Spanish-speaking player, and you enter the game, first thing you see game is only in English ...... and it pulls back a lot of people .......... and if this is not enough ........ this is what they read those being Spanish-speaking entering steam to know if is good to purchase the game... ...

Only some samples.

These are not my words these are analysis from spoken spanish players in steam... Sure you say this is not true, but people that want purchase a game don`t know.

If some south american player purchase this game, It will be playing with british or USA........ Not with Spain.... 

Yes, my british friends, for first time, now you can truly say me I'm lamenting and crying.......... Because I love this game, and due to the lack of my english, I can't take another faction, as danes or french...........and probably I must have to let this game to play another one.......... 

I have tried by all means that the English understand that only let us fight with ports south of Cuba, is enough for us to have the unreal feeling to do something ..... But not so ....... I just received insults, ofences and teasing because all they want is the complete annihilation of the Spanish faction ....

I'm sure you will say don't want that, but you are doing everything possible to make it happen.

On February I said many times....... Spain will be the truly pirates on this game...... Alone and out of the map....... 

Two suggestions would be to either take a break from the game for some time (did that myself for almost a month, the game suddenly became fun again when i returned :P ) or try to become a voice in your nation. Here's the thing, personally i take war games to seriously and would like to destroy every enemy on the map, but everyone on the current British council/fleet commanders talk about making piece with Spain and caring for your new players each evening on TS (again to clarify im not among the people who do), while it is a few hardcore old players in the Spanish nation that keep barking like a small chihuahua, taking your entire nation into decay. Although its somewhat admirable to have the "we will fight till the bitter end" mentality, that is literally the thing that is driving your new players away. 

• Like 1

Two suggestions would be to either take a break from the game for some time (did that myself for almost a month, the game suddenly became fun again when i returned :P ) or try to become a voice in your nation. Here's the thing, personally i take war games to seriously and would like to destroy every enemy on the map, but everyone on the current British council/fleet commanders talk about making piece with Spain and caring for your new players each evening on TS (again to clarify im not among the people who do), while it is a few hardcore old players in the Spanish nation that keep barking like a small chihuahua, taking your entire nation into decay. Although its somewhat admirable to have the "we will fight till the bitter end" mentality, that is literally the thing that is driving your new players away. 

Sorry, say something new........... we barking like a chihuahua, we cry and everything happen is our fault has ben said many times..... We need new  ofences........

We neither have the possibility to fight until the end....... at least to try to recover ports close our capital...........

• Like 1

Your'e asking to me?......... Sorry, not........ entering steam and ask people wrote that......... I only cutted, copied and traslate with google traslator.......... These are not my point of view, this is what people interested in this game read when entering in steam, not my opinion......... These are just samples of what people who  played with spain think.... And what watch people who entering steam to know how game is.

Fair enough, thank you for answering :)

Fair enough, thank you for answering :)

No problem, my english is so bad, and my grammar is poor.......... I do all I can to explain, but sure my message give you to the mistake to think that there where my impressions.....

I take the opportunity to ask forgiveness all English speakers of this forum for my bad English ...... I do everything I can so that they understand me .....

• Like 3

Why would we do that? Historically, defeated country had to sign peace under the victor's terms. After all, Napoleon invaded more than half of Europe, installed his cronies as kings of other nations and then those nations fought as his allies. Same in every war (quisling states).

EDIT: Spanish nation is not only for Spaniards, just like British nation is not only for Britons, etc. Anyone can play any nation they like. So, it should not be expected that if you join a nation then in that nation chat the language of the real world nation will be spoken. And besides, when i joined Spain 90% of the chat is in Spanish.

Maybe dedicated servers based on language, like World of Warcraft has? But it would kill the population on all servers.

This is only a game, I don't care for pixels, that's what it is. The vast majority of Spanish players want to fight, the big clans want to fight, so we will fight.

Maybe you could have thought that 90% of people in that Spain chat are from Spain and you are telling us to speak everytime in English? No, mate, we understand that we have some english-speakers playing for Spain and we have no problem at all if someone asks something in English or if they want to be informed. If that's the case, just ask whatever you want and you will be aswered in English.

But you have to understand that if 90% of us are from Spain, we will use Spanish. No wonder why.....

And this attitude is one of the problems.

if you could have a war that ends with a winner and a looser people could move on and the cards could get reshuffled. If their is always somebody biting your leg and crying "vendetta" players get fedup and you get flamewars on the forums like this where people call each other "cancer" and worse because it has left the realm of being a game. Obviously without a game mechanic we cant just measure our strength in a game, congratulate each other on a good fight and maybe even change alliances on a frequent basis.

You can say that someone is defeated when they have no resources to fight back or no will. We have both, so why should we stay quiet and bend our knee? We have ships, money, and people willing to fight. 

We only have a problem: timers. 

• Like 2

No problem, my english is so bad, and my grammar is poor.......... I do all I can to explain, but sure my message give you to the mistake to think that there where my impressions.....

I take the opportunity to ask forgiveness all English speakers of this forum for my bad English ...... I do everything I can so that they understand me .....

Your English is way better than you give yourself credit for. I didn't realize that you posted opinions from steam either though.

I don't agree with these opinions though. The game devs don't favor the British nation. We play with the same mechanics as everyone else.

Btw. In British nation their is a lot of non native speakers (like me) as well and even a lot of players with very little English speaking abilities. We just try to translate for them

In battles and it works fine.

But you have to understand that if 90% of us are from Spain, we will use Spanish. No wonder why.....

You can say that someone is defeated when they have no resources to fight back or no will. We have both, so why should we stay quiet and bend our knee? We have ships, money, and people willing to fight. 

We only have a problem: timers. 

you lost all your ports on southern cuba on your timers.

you lost all your ports on southern cuba on your timers.

Man, I'm done with you. We lost 30 ports or more during the weekend....we had a meeting and tried to coordinate the defence of what we think we can defend right now.

And that's what we'll do. 

Is it so difficult for you to understand that we don't want to surrender? If we do so, the next step would be going against France or Danmark with the same plan and what would we earn from that? Nothing.

You want to secure this area in order to fight in the east, but we don't accept that and we will try to recapture ports.

Jesus.....

• Like 1