Game-Labs Forum

Additional ship suggestions

Ryan21

HMS Leopard the 50 gun ship of the line, that was a catalyst for the War of 1812. Should another fourth rate be suggested then HMS Leander shall also work. Participated at the Battle of the Nile and was the smallest ship present. I think that these are better options than the Mordaunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not a swedish ship from the master himself im thinking either 1 of his frigates or 1 of the Wasa class 60 gun Ship of the line.

Wasa1778.jpg1280px-Ritning_tv%C3%A4rsnitt_Vasa.JPG

She was the Prototype Ship class of 10 ships orderd she won over Gilbert Sheldons ship the 68 gun Drottning (Queen) Sofia Magdalena

She was launched in 1778 And was designed by the well known Fredrik Henrik af Chapman.

Swedens navy was made to very often work together with its army as such it was important for ships to be able to support in landings and costal operations.

As such Af Chapman had the idea for a ship that could both stand in the line of battle with the same firepower of a larger ship but with the ability of a smaller ship of going in shallow waters.

She was a 2 decker with 60 guns but to give her the broadsides of the normal 74s those 60 guns where 36 and 24 pound guns giving her a fiesty broadside.

She was also a very stiff sailor and with full sail she would list no more then 10 Degrees at 12-14 knot winds.

Her lower cannon deck was also highley placed giving her a big edge in rough seas.

She was sold in 1803 to the Swedish east india company that used her in 1 trip to kanton.

After that trip she was bought back in 1808 and rebuilt to a 50 gun ship and served in that fashion to 1827 when she was broken up.

The only real criticism of her by the navy was that her upper gundeck was deemed to have to thin timbers and would not offer enough protection for the hours of punishment a line battle might result in.

As a result of that the following 10 ships where built slightly bigger and stronger with more protection for the upper gun deck aswell as the increase to 62-64 guns instead of the 60 of Wasa.

The 10 ships following her while where all similar but not exact copies.

And had between 60-64 guns.

And where the Following

1.HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf (1782)   

2.HMS Fäderneslandet (1783)

3.HMS Ömheten (1783)

4.HMS Rättvisan (1783)

5.HMS Dygden (1784)

6.HMS Äran (1784)

7.HMS Försiktigheten (1784)

8.HMS Dristigheten (1785)

9.HMS Manligheten (1785)

10.HMS Tapperheten (1785)

1 of her sisters Hms Dristigheten

bt-45.jpg

was 1 of swedens most prestigious ships she was launched 85 and served in a number of large battels including

Battle of Öland 1789

Battle of Reval 1790

and especially at Battle of Viborg Bay (1790)

and in every battle she saw she was always the first ship in the line and she always did well.

In 1806 she was largley overhauld and made into a 74 gun ship and served in the 1808-1809 finnish war against russia in that form.

She served as a ship of the line untill 1856 when she was made a hospital ship.

And in 87 she was finaly written off and used in tests with underwater mines.

At that point her hull was 90 years old making her the last of her sister ships.

(one of her sister ships HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf)

1280px-Kronprins_Gustaf_Adolf.JPG

the Gustav Adolf was launched 1982 with 62 guns and was the first ship of the Class after the Wasa Prototype Ship.

She was armed with

26 x 36 pounders
28 x 24 pounders
6 x 6 pounders.

She was lost 1788 from grounding outside Helsingfors (Helsinki)

Either of the ships in her class would make for great 2 decker line ships and would be both versitile and powerfull.

And as always sorry for bad english.

• Like 6

Really the Wasa?

How are we supposed to sail her?

She sank right away at her very first journey when she first encountered real winds outside the harbour..

Im sorry Im trolling you a bit but yeah why not.

A ship of the line of a dutch or swedish hand.

The dutch also prioritised low draft since they have very shallow coasts.

This lead to a very stump hull design wich obviously made them a lot more drifting to winds than their (74-)sisters.

edit:

I will never realize that since I have no idea about the time in wich the Wasa sunk so stupibly.

point for you I guess :P

Really the Wasa?

How are we supposed to sail her?

She sank right away at her very first journey when she first encountered real winds outside the harbour..

Im sorry Im trolling you a bit but yeah why not.

A ship of the line of a dutch or swedish hand.

The dutch also prioritised low draft since they have very shallow coasts.

This lead to a very stump hull design wich obviously made them a lot more drifting to winds than their (74-)sisters.

Not that wasa. You are thinking of the 1627 Wasa.

Im talking about the 1778 Wasa.

The 1778 Vasa was in service up to 1827.

edit: scratch that ive found 2 very similar looking ship classes...

dont cut sugestions out just because there are allready similar typs sugested.

diffrent nations used diffrent designes some wide some sleek and narrow and ofcourse diffrent stern designe.

i.e. Dutch vs british 

gun size and numbers are not the only thing that matters

• Like 1

I have updated the earlier Post with some more information and some changes.

And also for those of you wondering what those ship names mean let me make a translation.

1.HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf (1782)  (HMS Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf)

2.HMS Fäderneslandet (1783)  (HMS Fatherland)

3.HMS Ömheten (1783)  (HMS Gentleness)

4.HMS Rättvisan (1783)  (HMS Justice)

5.HMS Dygden (1784)    (HMS Virtue) 

6.HMS Äran (1784)         (HMS Honor/Honour)

7.HMS Försiktigheten (1784) (HMS Caution/Discretion)

8.HMS Dristigheten (1785)     (HMS Audacity)

9.HMS Manligheten (1785)     (HMS Manliness) xD my Favourite

10.HMS Tapperheten (1785)  (HMS Bravery/Valour)

And the HMS stand for Hans (Hennes) Majestäts Skepp Wich translates as u might think to His (Her) Majesty's Ship.

Internationally swedish ships might often have the Prefix HSwMS (His Swedish Majesty's Ship) to prevent Confusion with British ships.

• Like 1

dont cut sugestions out just because there are allready similar typs sugested.

diffrent nations used diffrent designes some wide some sleek and narrow and ofcourse diffrent stern designe.

i.e. Dutch vs british 

gun size and numbers are not the only thing that matters

I was going to suggest the Lively class frigate but I just noticed someone already posted it. I thought his post was about the Trincomalee at first. :P

I would like to suggest something older, further back in the age of sail. A Carrack such as the Madre de Deus seen here as a model:

that would be a ship from the 15th century sailing alongside of a "modern" 19 century ship?

Sorry to mention but thats well out of the timeframe :P

I cant remember the figures but its something like ~1650 until 1820. (really not sure but I don want to searrch the forum again-.-)

Why not a swedish ship from the master himself im thinking either 1 of his frigates or 1 of the Wasa class 60 gun Ship of the line.

Wasa1778.jpg1280px-Ritning_tv%C3%A4rsnitt_Vasa.JPG

She was the Prototype Ship class of 10 ships orderd she won over Gilbert Sheldons ship the 68 gun Drottning (Queen) Sofia Magdalena

She was launched in 1778 And was designed by the well known Fredrik Henrik af Chapman.

Swedens navy was made to very often work together with its army as such it was important for ships to be able to support in landings and costal operations.

As such Af Chapman had the idea for a ship that could both stand in the line of battle with the same firepower of a larger ship but with the ability of a smaller ship of going in shallow waters.

She was a 2 decker with 60 guns but to give her the broadsides of the normal 74s those 60 guns where 36 and 24 pound guns giving her a fiesty broadside.

She was also a very stiff sailor and with full sail she would list no more then 10 Degrees at 12-14 knot winds.

Her lower cannon deck was also highley placed giving her a big edge in rough seas.

She was sold in 1803 to the Swedish east india company that used her in 1 trip to kanton.

After that trip she was bought back in 1808 and rebuilt to a 50 gun ship and served in that fashion to 1827 when she was broken up.

The only real criticism of her by the navy was that her upper gundeck was deemed to have to thin timbers and would not offer enough protection for the hours of punishment a line battle might result in.

As a result of that the following 10 ships where built slightly bigger and stronger protection for the upper gun deck aswell as the increase to 62-64 guns instead of the 60 of Wasa.

The 10 ships following her while where all similar but not exact copies.

And had between 60-64 guns.

And where the Following

1.HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf (1782)   

2.HMS Fäderneslandet (1783)

3.HMS Ömheten (1783)

4.HMS Rättvisan (1783)

5.HMS Dygden (1784)

6.HMS Äran (1784)

7.HMS Försiktigheten (1784)

8.HMS Dristigheten (1785)

9.HMS Manligheten (1785)

10.HMS Tapperheten (1785)

1 of her sisters Hms Dristigheten

bt-45.jpg

was 1 of swedens most prestigious ships she was launched 85 and served in a number of large battels including

Battle of Öland 1789

Battle of Reval 1790

and especially at Battle of Viborg Bay (1790)

and in every battle she saw she was always the first ship in the line and she always did well.

In 1806 she was largley overhauld and made into a 74 gun ship and served in the 1808-1809 finnish war against russia in that form.

She served as a ship of the line untill 1856 when she was made a hospital ship.

And in 87 she was finaly written off and used in tests with underwater mines.

At that point her hull was 90 years old making her the last of her sister ships.

(one of her sister ships HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf)

1280px-Kronprins_Gustaf_Adolf.JPG

the Gustav Adolf was launched 1982 with 62 guns and was the first ship of the Class after the Wasa Prototype Ship.

She was armed with

26 x 36 pounders

28 x 24 pounders

6 x 6 pounders.

She was lost 1788 from grounding outside Helsingfors (Helsinki)

Either of the ships in her class would make for great 2 decker line ships and would be both versitile and powerfull.

And as always sorry for bad english.

Matte, you know that is exactly my ideal ship to use in Naval action, a perfect blend of Speed and firepower.  ^_^

that would be a ship from the 15th century sailing alongside of a "modern" 19 century ship?

Sorry to mention but thats well out of the timeframe :P

I cant remember the figures but its something like ~1650 until 1820. (really not sure but I don want to searrch the forum again-.-)

The Madre de Deus herself was built in 1589 so it isn't too far off :P When the exploration mode comes out it could be used as an introductory ocean going explorer vessel. But obviously due to it's age it wouldn't be very much good for anything else <_<

In any case I'll offer a second suggestion,

23557x1.jpg

the Danish Fredericus IV, with 110 guns shes a first rate. Built in 1699 in Copenhagen and was stricken in 1732.

Not much info is given on her fate or career, and even less pictures. The picture above is the only quality picture

you would find without taking days to search for it. So, apologies for it's quality as well as the stamp on it.

In order to be believably diverse, we're going to have a few different types of ships in the same class (representing many nations and merchants alike) - though understandably, this is a long-term plan.

However, now that I've experienced first hand the obvious power-gap between our 16-gun light Brigs and the HMS Surprise (the difference is VAST) might I suggest the addition of Post Ships or French Corvettes?  The Sphinx class in British service would be a nice gap-filler between two-masted brigs and the much more powerful HMS Surprise.