1. 1. Coward perk - allowing

• Should stay
    • Should be removed
    • Should receive a morale penalty or other penalty
  2. 2. Control perk - allowing distance based exit timer

• should stay
    • should be removed
    • should replace current hit based exit timer
  3. 3. Safe battle result screen (allowing staying in the results forever)

• Ship should only be safe in port - battle result screen should drop the player to OW in 5 mins
    • Should stay as it is allowing life to go on
    • Should send you to the nearest port if you stay there for longer than X mins
  4. 4. Invisibility on exit

• Invisibility should be brought back to allow repositioning after the battle
    • No invisibility

BR limiter should be a bit smarter in balancing.  3x5th rate vs 4th rate, and no more 4th rates can join to help.  I would fix this.

Also the big ROE ring, should be smaller.  I still think that there could be a big ROE ring, but this should only apply to ships in same fleets.  The same fleets -> tagger/tagged fleets.

And then final rule to rule them all -> You could get always a friend or two with you, what ever are the BR limits.  This should only be for small fleets.  For example, a fleet of 3 will always get together in a fight. (or 2 or 4).  But you cannot take your 24 friends to gank 1 guy.  This would make it possible for you to sail with your friend or 2, even in 1st rates, and make sure you will always get in the same fight.

Most people sail in smaller fleets if I have understood correctly.  So bigger clans that bring a fleet of 10, are ruining OW PvP for most.  Still, if bigger clan of 15 ships will see another bigger fleet, those can fight.

Limits would probably improve PvP, even tho those feel artificial.

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 1:42 PM, admin said:

This is possible but it creates a lot of problems with land if battles are close to land

one of the sides will then never receive reinforcements if circle moves into land over time 

the alternative is to use the Battlefield squad spawn system and spawn ship 200 m away from the most distant ships in the instance 

but still it could create cases when your ship can be dropped on land

another drastic solution is to remove land from OW battles and only keep land in coastal battles or in port battles. Then we can bring back normal time/distance based spawns that existed before the land in battles introduction 

Please fix This and make reinforcements aviable related to distance/time. That would be awesome!

Every player should be pulled.  Not just your alliance and alliance of tagged ship.  You should be able to have more than 2 sides in a battle.

• Like 1

Land is essential in battles do not remove at any cost. It made the game 50 x better as its much more variety in battle

So, the game is going to be released while ROE is "under review"? We've been flip-flopping between all sorts of different variants since OW started, and I'd be very unhappy if the final decision was 20 minutes+ timers... 😐

I'm afraid to say anything above 3 minutes is a no-go for me. Wysiwyg is the only acceptable ROE in my opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

So, the game is going to be released while ROE is "under review"?..

jup this is basically the definition of this game lately

I still think we just need something like this (again):

On 4/13/2016 at 8:05 PM, Niels Terkildsen said:

I'm starting to think the best solution would simply be to make the tagging-circle slightly bigger, and then close battle-instances entirely: no reinforcements whatsoever.

Any ships that would realistically have a chance to reach the fight before it's over should be covered by a wider tagging-circle. Perhaps make two circles instead of one: the first circle forcibly dragging ships into the battle-instance - the second, much larger circle, giving the ships the option to join from their position (preferably very far away, closing on the horizon when at the fringes of the second circle).

On 4/13/2016 at 11:55 PM, Niels Terkildsen said:

Here's an example of how this would work:

X0k8z6e.png

- The aggressive group (black 1, 2, 3, and 4) have succeeded in closing in on two of the enemy ships to their leeward (green 1 and 2).

- The dark red circle is the regular tagging-circle, and all ships within this will be pulled into the battle at their relative positions.

- Black 3 and 4, who are in the light red circle, will get the option to join the battle as reinforcement (starting far away from those in the tagging-circle, coming from their relative positions).

- Black 4 in this example may want to decline this offer to pursue green 3, but upon doing so will not be able to reinforce the first battle anymore.

NOTE: Everything isn't scaled properly; this is simply for presenting the general idea. The light red circle could, for example, be even larger than this in relation to the tagging-circle.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
  • Like 1

This makes me so amazingly sad. I'm now uninstalling the game (that I've had dormant on my drive for a very long time) even when people are piling in after official launch...

All trust in @admin's judgement on this matter is gone if this statement stands.

"No plans to change ROE. It is the final Rule of Engagement." - admin

It saddens me deeply, but all I can hope for, now that OW is seemingly never going to be what I wished for, is for a future re-launch of Legends - in that way we can have two arena PvP AoS games: one that pretends to be an OW-sandbox game, but is just in essence a lobby blown out of proportions, and one that is completely honest about being an arena where you can wait in a lobby for proper PvP with lovely ships and canon fire.

It has happened quite often now, that people log of in front of enemy towns in a really big ship. Then one or two small ships cruise around as a bait, when they are finally attacked by some bigger ships, the first player logs in, joins the battle with his superior ship and wins the battle. 

I see this as unfair gameplay. Therefore I suggest to set the join timer to 20 min after logging in in OW. 

... or reducing the battle timer to 2 min for all...

here's my .02

Person who initiated combat should never be invisible after combat. 

person who also initiated combat cannot use wind boosts for a certain cool down

side who is under attack should never be locked. If they are able to round up a force to help the other player who was attacked, they should always be able to do so.  

Person who was subjected to combat should be invisible or allow safe exit to nearest friendly port 

In effect, I want ganking to be a riskier proposition, where as if you choose to fight there is a risk for initiating such combat more so than is now people who are being under attack often do not mutually want to fight, so giving them help after a battle to escape seems only fair.  

today we say outside of a requin gank taking apart and indaiman and all the 6 of us could do it twittle our thumbs for most of the battle. and even though the battle was still in progress no one could help. he then left battle, popped out far away from the zone, moved to a wind zone just before i caught him in my rattlesnake and was gone at about 45-50knts. to me this is a problem. Numbers of players should always be a balancing factor not working of game mechanics to gank with impunity. 

On 10/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, Sea Archer said:

It has happened quite often now, that people log of in front of enemy towns in a really big ship. Then one or two small ships cruise around as a bait, when they are finally attacked by some bigger ships, the first player logs in, joins the battle with his superior ship and wins the battle. 

I see this as unfair gameplay. Therefore I suggest to set the join timer to 20 min after logging in in OW. 

... or reducing the battle timer to 2 min for all...

Or make the battles open for good but make the join distance to battle  dependant on time. The later u come in the longer you would be from the action.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, Niels Terkildsen said:

This makes me so amazingly sad. I'm now uninstalling the game (that I've had dormant on my drive for a very long time) even when people are piling in after official launch...

All trust in @admin's judgement on this matter is gone if this statement stands.

"No plans to change ROE. It is the final Rule of Engagement." - admin

It saddens me deeply, but all I can hope for, now that OW is seemingly never going to be what I wished for, is for a future re-launch of Legends - in that way we can have two arena PvP AoS games: one that pretends to be an OW-sandbox game, but is just in essence a lobby blown out of proportions, and one that is completely honest about being an arena where you can wait in a lobby for proper PvP with lovely ships and canon fire.

In theory you could be right. But the game where players beg for help against enemies are a mini-game itself where players help each other out. Wouldn't miss it. And therefore I like long joining times in OW.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:06 PM, Gimpy117 said:

here's my .02

Person who initiated combat should never be invisible after combat. 

person who also initiated combat cannot use wind boosts for a certain cool down

side who is under attack should never be locked. If they are able to round up a force to help the other player who was attacked, they should always be able to do so.  

Person who was subjected to combat should be invisible or allow safe exit to nearest friendly port 

In effect, I want ganking to be a riskier proposition, where as if you choose to fight there is a risk for initiating such combat more so than is now people who are being under attack often do not mutually want to fight, so giving them help after a battle to escape seems only fair.  

today we say outside of a requin gank taking apart and indaiman and all the 6 of us could do it twittle our thumbs for most of the battle. and even though the battle was still in progress no one could help. he then left battle, popped out far away from the zone, moved to a wind zone just before i caught him in my rattlesnake and was gone at about 45-50knts. to me this is a problem. Numbers of players should always be a balancing factor not working of game mechanics to gank with impunity. 

I understand your frustration with ganks, but your suggestions would totally remove the advantage of being able to make a defensive tag which is often the best defense when being chased.

• Like 1