• too low
    • just right
    • Too high
  7. 8. Raking (cannon loss + crew loss)

• Underpowered
    • Just right
    • Too strong

1 hour ago, Porpoise said:

AI ships will outdps you often, because they use medium cannons with shorter reload times and if you are giving broadside in a similar ship the penetration does not matter. AI is also very accurate so sailing broadside to broadside is used for the finishing mostly. What matters is angling and maneuvers. AI shoots on your bow which does very little damage. If you want to outdps your enemy, use downsized carronades and full reload mods. You will suffer in slow ship though, because you need to be at pistol range to do this. 

it not only this. You can do more damage with smaller guns the  damage/reloadtime-value is higher for smaller guns than for the big ones. So when two ships with different gun sizes will fight each other, the one with the smaller will win (if they penetrate). That is, at least in my opinion, wrong. Reload times should be the same, therefore you need more crew for the big guns.

During the last days i recognised that mast hits with chain shot were counted as hits though they are not penetrating hits. Sometimes I have even seen a ball bouncing, leaving a mark on the hull and was counted as hit, though at least visually not penetrating.

Can you please check the mechanics and maybe correct them?

I still think, chain shots and rigging damage to simulate overal damage to rigging just not the sails.

So when sail condition is not good, easy to demast, when sail is %100 should be hard to demast with sniping :)

Everybody is fighting under full sails. There should be some incentive to shoot the guns only under battle sails. 

I think this has been mentioned several times here, but I am missing this part of realism in the game. 

Just give a chance of 3(or more?) percent of setting the sails on fire for every gun in the broadsides fired under more than battle sails.

• Like 1

900 hours in the game. Stopped playing long ago, but came back to check it out again.

Tried some small ship vs ship mission and it ended up taking 40 minutes to sink the bloody thing. Was the game really that tedious back in 2017? Jeez, not the least bit enjoyable that was. Too bad, I miss sailing.

2 hours ago, Timbo said:

900 hours in the game. Stopped playing long ago, but came back to check it out again.

Tried some small ship vs ship mission and it ended up taking 40 minutes to sink the bloody thing. Was the game really that tedious back in 2017? Jeez, not the least bit enjoyable that was. Too bad, I miss sailing.

Sounds like you didnt learn much in 900 hours

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rediii said:

I agree with @Timbo, even as far back as the testbed, I highlighted this problem for missions with the Cutter/Brig against a Lynx, the Lynx broadside is so low that you have to be better than an average beginner (or player) to avoid firing shots into the waves but still not as to firer too high to shoot over the top.

You and Dev’s don’t seem to be able to put yourselves in any new or struggling player shoes.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

3 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

I agree with @Timbo, even as far back as the testbed, I highlighted this problem for missions with the Cutter/Brig against a Lynx, the Lynx broadside is so low that you have to be better than an average beginner (or player) to avoid firing shots into the waves but still not as to firer too high to shoot over the top.

You and Dev’s don’t seem to be able to put yourselves in any new or struggling player shoes.

Someone said (and I totally agree) that starting ship should be a Brigantine ("basic brigantine") being also better to train manual sailing on bigger ships.

Fore-Aft rigged are specialized stuff... and, seeing how plenty of vets fire from and to very low ships, I can agree: it's a pain for newcomers.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

That's all we can add to a discussion? "Oh, you must be bad." ? Forget that new players occasionally try this game and instantly drop a negative review. No wonder it is rated so poorly and the community criticized for toxicity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

with the tutorial you get a brig.

1 hour ago, rediii said:

with the tutorial you get a brig.

And the first star 7th rate kill missions are against a Lynx, once again out of touch with the low end of the game.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

56 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

And the first star 7th rate kill missions are against a Lynx, once again out of touch with the low end of the game.

oh you mean to hit the hull. :)

On 8/8/2016 at 2:19 PM, admin said:

Post 3 things you like about the current combat and why?

Post 3 things you don't like (hate) about the current combat and why?

Post 3 features you believe must be added to combat mechanics and why?

1. 3 things you like about the current combat and why:

- wind condition changing every now and then

- meta is slightly more balance than when I started playing

- skill has a room

2. 3 things you don't like (hate) about the current combat and why?

- boarded ship being static.

- in line battle or fleet battle, it is when the ships drop the best mods and dubs. In such scenario, looting is very risky and the after battle reward is quite low. (perk looting to have a part of sank ship loot left after battle)

- ramming foe or friendly is not punished

3. 3 features you believe must be added to combat mechanics and why?

- grapes number limitation like chains

- ships in boarding should keep moving in the direction they were headed and maybe even still be able to use rudder and manual sails instead of magically dropping sails

- ramming damage based on angle of penetration and speed

@Timbo could you be a bit more precise? Which ship vs which ship? For basic cutters and 7th  rates in general: always use single shot, try to stabalize your vessels by depowering. 

As rediii said: do the tutorial (youtube vids are available) and don't mind the lower rates. Tho I can only recommend to try them, as sailing them really trains basic shooting skills.

• Like 2

Knowing how to shoot "unrated" vessels will save a captain's face many many many times when said captain has to battle a group of "unrated" vessels.

- i say this with big cause of knowledge, 1 out of 75 attacked captains have an idea how to handle against "unrated" ships, the others are just fighting like they would against similar rates. Sorry, doesn't work.

Sail all ships, try all ships, know their weaknesses and their strengths. NA is a marathon of practice, not a sprint of win.

Overcome loss sensation, is just temporary. Practice means sometimes things work, sometimes won't. Skill means understanding what does work in what situation against expecting winning formula beat'em'up combos.

And yeah, ships are resilient little things, especially in the age of sail. What wasn't as resilient as the ships were the crews.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chevalier du Ethuville said:

sensation, is just temporary

or rage quit, permanently!

Overcome loss

Many have overcome that “sensation”, we'll still here, but make no mistake many do not overcome ”loss”, even within the current playerbase.

Its build into the game is what you’re saying but please do not underestimate the reality of players feeling!  

Edited by BuckleUpBones

20 hours ago, Timbo said:

The sailing characteristics and various damage outputs have evolved since then. 7th rate AI are a pain to kill. They are an unfortunate and necessary evil.

Give yourself and the game a little more time. I know that is a lot to ask. All of us still playing have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Fair Sails, Captain. 

Knowing how to shoot "unrated" vessels will save a captain's face many many many times

All 7th rate missions would be better served giving all new players a comfortable induction into the game.   

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Just now, BuckleUpBones said:

All 7th rate missions would be better served giving all new players a comfortable induction into the game.   

Propose a design then.

But... what i meant with that is... when they face enemy players that know how to handle those 7th rates, they better know how to deal with them... so good practice is essential... i mean... vital.

13 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

or rage quit, permanently!

Many have overcome that “sensation”, we'll still here, but make no mistake many do not overcome ”loss”.

Its build into the game is what you’re saying but please do not underestimate the reality of players feeling!  

Right..

Many players didn't make it through Dark Souls first boss as well, many others did and some did finish all 3 games with full naked characters.

All about how to face the challenge and how to make the next combat better, and how to finally beat the opponent.

What to say about gaming ? Nothing at all. Is fun to play games and have a good time.

29 minutes ago, Chevalier du Ethuville said:

Is fun to play games and have a good time

I disagree, players should be hooked into the game first, especially for NA, then later, face the challenge of bettering themselves.  

Making the game hardcore right of the bat is "no fun”. Resent sale has introduced 20%, lets see how they fair next month (by steam chart, that will be at the end of March after the 30 days has past and February result is known).

Disagree at will. I have fun in both servers and still die to AI to this day. Don't you ?

Newcomer is not different from you or me. They get hooked for many reasons.