Game-Labs Forum

Pretty please?

TheMarineGamer

I'm backing you on this one, 40 gun Frigate with 28 12-pounders. Not a bad ship imo. B)

I also love the American color scheme.

http://www.shipmodel.com/files/bonhomme-richard-solid-h-webbonhomme-richard017.jpg

Edit: Done some studying on this vessel, its highly customizable and could carry a larger armament. This would make a great ship ingame with so many various options.

Both her upper and lower decks were pierced by 26 gunports (Figure 6), but as the accompanying plans illustrate, before she was turned over to Jones only six ports on the lower deck (three per side) were actually left open, all the others having been covered over with strakes of horizontal planking.  Moreover, the open, pierced ports were most likely left unarmed and used more for ventilation or as loading or ballast ports than as gunports.  This may seem counter-intuitive, but keep in mind that East Indiamen were built first and foremost as merchantmen whose captains wished to devote every square inch of available space for the storage of their precious cargos.  Guns got in the way, so they were often unrigged and stowed in the hold!  They were relatively lightweight and short, anyway, designed more to ward off pirates than to engage in combat with enemy warships.  So while the Duc de Duras was designed to mount a formidable battery of 26 18-pounder guns on the lower deck and another 26 8-pounders on the upper, in practice only her upper deck was armed. 

In the US Refit the captain John Paul Jones planned to outfit her with as many cannons as possible to make her a suitable warship but never happened due to her sinking after the battle with HMS Serapis.

http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/shipwrecks/sailing_ships/gunports.jpg

Thus, whereas the newly-renamed Bonhomme Richard was theoretically capable of mounting 58 guns, in practice she carried just 40 – six 18-pounders on the lower deck, twenty-eight 12-pounders on the upper deck, and six 8-pounders on the quarterdeck.

• Like 1

Yeah the red, blue, gold combo is great and its nice to know it was under US command.

I'd think it would probably make a great vessel for lonewolves yeah? Since its an indiaman its made to be used as either a merchant ship or warship with a great variety of guns to use. Though I do wonder how she handles at sea. It also looks luxurious too so I'd be a proud captain if I were to own such a ship. :D

Boy, that model sure looks better than the one I'm slowly working on, the Monogram kit. I too like the red and black color scheme. I'll have to do that. The painting suggestions with the kit are rather silly. BonHomme Richard or some kind of converted merchantman in game would be great for privateers. On POTBS I liked the Mignone privy version. It all depends on the sailing qualities of the ship. Slab sided merchantmen were the bain of most captains that I have read about. Of course, Captain Jones did well with Bonhomme Richard, but in his fight with Serapis, his old ship was damaged too badly to save.

Though I do wonder how she handles at sea.

not like a frigate for sure more like one of the older 4th rate designs

indiamans where build to defend themself against pirates in sloops or shooners but against a normal frigate like the Surprise she will get in danger easily.

and they where most of the time in convoys with around 2-3 ships or more so it will be like a smallscale linefight

• Like 1

not like a frigate for sure more like one of the older 4th rate designs

indiamans where build to defend themself against pirates in sloops or shooners but against a normal frigate like the Surprise she will get in danger easily.

and they where most of the time in convoys with around 2-3 ships or more so it will be like a smallscale linefight

Aye I suppose shes still flexible enough in the Privateer and Pirate role. Good enough for lonewolves in my opinion and a hell of a ship for merchantmen. Maybe even good enough to fight off a fifth rate with good skill. I admire the ships capabilities. B)

you must just think about an 4th rate with the armament of an 5th or 4th rate with lowamount of crew compared to a fully war build frigate. but luckly in this game it will be bad compared to Potbs here you can simply shot some amst down if you are lucky + the height of the guns giv you more range

why would she have a small crew if fitted out as a privateer or warship? You can't fight that many guns with a small crew. As noted above, as an Indiaman, she carried upper deck armament only. In her battle with HMS Serapis, she had 50 guns and a large crew.

why would she have a small crew if fitted out as a privateer or warship? You can't fight that many guns with a small crew. As noted above, as an Indiaman, she didn't carry full armament.

Hmm it says she carried 380 men while the average fifth rate carried 300. She would make a good boarding ship. All the more reason to use her as a privateer. :D

John Paul Jones was a really, really good captain. It seems that he had a big pair as well. To sail in English waters and commit mayhem and madness really required big jimmies.

If we get the merchantman in game, and fit it out well, it could be a ship to fear. Handled well, of course. Thanks for posting the pictures too. When I started my research, when I first bought the kit, I couldn't find all that many pictures. I read that there were no ship plans or descriptions.