Game-Labs Forum

Problem after latest patch.. Game won't even start.

cwbuff44

Hi,

I'm using a Mac, and the game has run fine, even as of last night, and then today when I go to launch the game I get a message saying "Failed to start game (missing executable.)"  It has a link to steam support and describes a process to go through, but I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac:

Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)

I see the error "Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)" when launching a game through Steam.  What can I do? 

Troubleshooting

This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

1. Completely exit Steam.
  2. Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam) 
  3. Delete the 'appcache' folder.
  4. Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam

If the issue persists, it may be that a program on your machine is interfering with the proper delivery of game files:

Please temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.

Additionally, it is possible that anti-virus software is reporting game files as malicious.

I don't even know where the steam installation folder is on a Mac, and I searched for an "appcache" folder and didn't have any luck.

I've uninstalled the game and tried installing it again and that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.  Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the game seemed to reinstall really, really fast.. It only took about 2 seconds and it said the game had successfully installed. Seems like it would be hard to install the necessary files in that short amount of time. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong and how to get it working again?

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm using a Mac, and the game has run fine, even as of last night, and then today when I go to launch the game I get a message saying "Failed to start game (missing executable.)"  It has a link to steam support and describes a process to go through, but I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac:

Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)

I see the error "Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)" when launching a game through Steam.  What can I do? 

Troubleshooting

This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

1. Completely exit Steam.
  2. Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam) 
  3. Delete the 'appcache' folder.
  4. Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam

If the issue persists, it may be that a program on your machine is interfering with the proper delivery of game files:

Please temporarily uninstall any applications listed in our Programs Which May Interfere with Steam.

Additionally, it is possible that anti-virus software is reporting game files as malicious.

I don't even know where the steam installation folder is on a Mac, and I searched for an "appcache" folder and didn't have any luck.

I've uninstalled the game and tried installing it again and that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.  Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the game seemed to reinstall really, really fast.. It only took about 2 seconds and it said the game had successfully installed. Seems like it would be hard to install the necessary files in that short amount of time. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong and how to get it working again?

I have this exact problem. I was able to follow the instructions that you posted (I came across them as well and I also have a Mac), but they did not work. I have also deleted the local files numerous times and tried to reinstall the game, but when I click on install in Steam, it downloads for about 1 second and then tells me it is ready. Clearly it is not downloading any actual data at that rate.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall Steam as well, but that didn't work either.

I have been unable to find a solution yet.

• Like 1

I have exactly the same problem.

I bought the game, downloaded it and all worked fine. After 15 minutes I saved my session and exited the game. A few hours later when I tried to load and play the game i got the "Failed to start game (missing executable.)". I tried all the advice in the support link, uninstalled, cleared cache, etc, etc.

I did notice after having re-installed the game 3 times that the actual download of the game takes less than a second and when you look at the download manager you can see that the game is "downloaded" but no bytes have been downloaded.

What is wrong??? Someone please help.

• Like 1