Game-Labs Forum

Fleet will not accept orders nor fire during battle

mycroft

I've just built two rattle snakes and sent them to fleet to be used to demast enemy ships to make it easier for commerce raiding. They are fully crewed, they did not have any modules before being sent to fleet, they were full health, 5 durability. In my first battle against a trader snow, I ordered them to demast her and planned use my brig to take their crew down. During the entire battle, the rattle snakes were able to out pace the snow, and maintained a close proximity, but not a single shot was fired. I ordered them to destroy and after that had no effect, I ordered them to free mode, also with no effect. Is there a fix for this coming or a work around?

• Like 1

Have you both tested this with NPC ships as your fleet? It would narrow the dev's search as to where to search the coding. It could be that these commands are not associating with only player created ships.

Also, try testing this with one ship you crafted and one NPC and pay attention to which follows the proper commands and which do not. 

Another place coding could be screwed up is when we send to fleet and it tells us to remove cannon. Maybe player crafted ships are missing the coding to select cannon automatically.

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

My two Cutters were bought and used prior to the updates and working as intended. But no longer work since. And I doubt is due to the auto setting cannons failing and leaving them unarmed that you suggest as in my case at least, as I wrote in my post, they did use their guns in Free and Follow modes. So I imagine the issue is more with the commands or AI themselves.

But no I have not tried an bog standard ship, not sure what relevance it makes, as the only difference between them is the lack in built in upgrades.

Edited by tipsypo

i tested this with 2 surprises yesterday told them to demast i think it was a privateer or another enemy surp they wouldent fire they where keeping up with it and myself but no shots fired at all just tagged a npc merc/cutter fleet ill see what them 2 surps do when i tell them to demast

Edited by delaine

This is an update to my testing. I've tried waiting until after the battle begins before issuing commands, this had no effect. It seems free mode and retreat still works, but demast still does not.

I recorded one battle in which both rattlesnakes fired their bow chasers after the target at the beginning of the battle with no orders given, and then ordering them to demast, which ceased their firing. I then placed them back on free mode and they began shooting again. One thing I did notice was on free mode they some times fired chain shot of all things. 

I'm a bit disappointed, as I hoped I could use the rattle snakes to slow the ships down while my indiaman or le gros would finish off the crew and board, but it doesn't seem to be. 

Also, in relation to the cannon removal. The Rattlesnakes were built together and sent to the fleet right afterwards. No cannons nor modules were ever placed upon them. In battle, the cannons do appear, and as mentioned above, do fire. Just seemingly not in specific modes.

I will attempt a standard ship later, one that I capture and send to fleet right from the get go. I will also try different orders to see what has effect and what does not. However, it does not explain my first post, in which nothing worked in any of the modes attempted. 

I have the same problem. 

Indiaman + 2 Trinco as fleet: the Trincos are completely passive, they sail into position to demast but dont fire a single shot. Same with the "destroy" order. They only catch shot, but dont fire at all. The only mode which actually makes them fire is "free"

Same picture for Buccentaure + 1 Bellona as fleet. 

The bug was introduced with the last patch, before that my fleet ships did  "demast" and "destroy" okay, so it's no a problem with crafting or cannons.

Right now, fleet is useless. Fix this asap pls.

Edited by Jan van Santen