Game-Labs Forum

Pirates Attacking Other Pirates.

Should pirates have a penalty for attacking each other just as other nationals are penalized?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should pirates be able to attack each other?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should pirates be able to attack each other only if one of the ships is a trader vessel?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should pirates have a penalty for attacking each other if one of the ships is a trader or basic cutter?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Should pirates only be able to attack other nations?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Pirates should only be able to attack each other under certain conditions (war declared, or bounty collection, etc.)

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Pirates should be able to attack other pirates under any circumstance.

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Pirates should not be able to transfer ships they acquire post battle.

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Pirates should not be able to tag each other when near other nations' players.

• Yes
    • No

For me pirates attacking each can be an exploit. The way i understand it is that Pirates are considered a nation of their own, and nationals attacking each other is penalized. 

The reason I find pirates attacking each other as an exploit, is because in certain circumstances, it can be used as an escape mechanism. 

I also find it unfair that pirates can attack each other without penalty, and is a privilege that is not extended to people of different nations. For other nations, it is only achievable (without penalty) via duels.

The poll is to determine how you feel about the current pirate v pirate battle mechanisms and when (or if) they should be allowed.

Edited by Crayon

You just forget the most important line:

"Should pirates be able to get reward (xp/gold/loot) when attacking other pirates ? *NO *NO "

-Pirates should not be a nation, but a flag.

-Pirates should not be able to sail SoL while displaying pirate flag.

-Pirates should not own any port.

-Pirates should get tagged on sight by any non-trader NPC / NPC-fleet and sane players.

-Pirates are [censored] ...

Edited by Pugwis
  • Like 3

As long as pirates operate as a nation then they should follow the same rules as a nation. No perks allowed just because they are called pirates. Pirates, currently, in this game are nothing more than a nation with a black flag. They, unfortunately for the other nations, have been allowed additional perks than cannot be used by vthe other " nations".

Pirates should be able to attack other pirates but it needs a major rework. Right now you can only join the attackers side, I believe. It should have two rings, like any PVP battle, and so that you know which side you are joining, when you hover over a ring with your mouse it either gives the attacker or the defender's name. Also so it's not exploited for hiding ships, any nation should be able to join either side.

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 2

Or get rid of the stupid reinforcement circles and when joining a battle you should have three options. Join attacker, defender, or attack both. Why should a national be forced to side with a pirate? Maybe make a rule that nationals can always shoot pirates and it is never green on green.

• Like 2

Pirates should be able to attack other pirates but it needs a major rework. Right now you can only join the attackers side, I believe. It should have two rings, like any PVP battle, and so that you know which side you are joining, when you hover over a ring with your mouse it either gives the attacker or the defender's name. Also so it's not exploited for hiding ships, any nation should be able to join either side.

Just make each Pirate clan a "Nation" and it can easily be duked out with Alliances.

But alas that is not to be the case...

Well this one was surprising. 

"Pirates should not be able to tag each other when near other nations' players."

In almost every question most people thought that pirates should be able to attack each other without limits. The results for this question however suggests there might need to be some limitations made. interesting....

Edited by Crayon

We are removing pirates attacking pirates or nations attacking nations in the next patch

We know some players will be upset - but this is going to be a good change going forward. Especially taking into account potential outlaws introduction in the future. Alliances and one nation status (even for pirates) have to be enforced. 

Nations and pirates will still be able to attack smugglers freely

• Like 3

We are removing pirates attacking pirates or nations attacking nations in the next patch
We know some players will be upset - but this is going to be a good change going forward. Especially taking into account potential outlaws introduction in the future. Alliances and one nation status (even for pirates) have to be enforced.

Regarding the upcoming changes, pirates are not able to form alliances. They are not treated as a nation, but in limiting their playstyle you treat them just like a nation. Thats really odd.

PS: May I suggest to have a look at the outcome of this poll?

PPS: At the end there is not difference. A pirate without a smuggler flag is not a real pirate, anyway.

• Like 1

Dont understand how are you going to achieve this if all nations by default are at war (which is a bit disappointing, in my view).

they arent going to be, once the whole diplomacy/alliance thing kicks in. Do you not follow any of the planned updates or what?

Ideally, true pirates would be limited to non-ships of the line, while a "pirate nation" would be unable to attack one another, for exploit reasons.

By the same argument ideally nations would be limited to having only 4-6 first rates and 10-12 second rates ~20 3rd rates total..do you see how dumb this is?

• Like 1

The dumbness of that comparison only exists in truth when comparing the same strategic values for both, which they ain't and that is exactly where the basic gameplay of a nation and pirates must differ.

Pirates would have no use for a SOL. Actually there is the mention of one two deck in the Caribbean under pirates and was anchored in front of Nassau as a fort when Hornigold took up to fortify the town ( at that time wasn't more than a mess of shacks and filth as smell could be felt at large ).

There is, quoting a moderator, an ungodly amount of pirate threads and suggestions already. I bet the Devs can nitpick a dozen nice ideas to implemente and make the blackflag a unique and truly challenging option by default as opposite to a nation which can rise and lower the challenge as much as the Diplomacy warrants.

• Like 1

And how do u become a pirate? I thought this is a sandbox mmo with the focus of realism. It is not realistic, that you cannot attack your own kind.

• Like 1

The dumbness of that comparison only exists in truth when comparing the same strategic values for both, which they ain't and that is exactly where the basic gameplay of a nation and pirates must differ.

Pirates would have no use for a SOL. Actually there is the mention of one two deck in the Caribbean under pirates and was anchored in front of Nassau as a fort when Hornigold took up to fortify the town ( at that time wasn't more than a mess of shacks and filth as smell could be felt at large ).

There is, quoting a moderator, an ungodly amount of pirate threads and suggestions already. I bet the Devs can nitpick a dozen nice ideas to implemente and make the blackflag a unique and truly challenging option by default as opposite to a nation which can rise and lower the challenge as much as the Diplomacy warrants.

You're thinking in real life terms, in NA pirates will have plenty use for a SOL

• Like 1

You're thinking in real life terms, in NA pirates will have plenty use for a SOL

Sure I am.

I am also thinking  about a Pirate gameplay reform without concerns of Ports, without any attachment to farms, mines and anything other than making coin and spending it while gaining infamy until caught and string up in some God forsaken backwater.

• Like 2

Sure I am.

I am also thinking  about a Pirate gameplay reform without concerns of Ports, without any attachment to farms, mines and anything other than making coin and spending it while gaining infamy until caught and string up in some God forsaken backwater.

the problem is this isnt real life and limiting ships/making "pirate fits" for ships etc is just going to cause lots of re-balancing issues 

• Like 1

You are not reading. I didn't say for a moment no SOLs for pirates, I just pointed out that without any strategic aims that warrant the use of SOLs... what would be the use for them ?! ( supposing Pirate option would get changed that is )

What do you need a ship of the line for IF you wouldn't own ports nor infrastructure to defend and be dedicated to raiding of shipping and towns ?

What would be the cost of each man in the crew in a ship of the line ? Equal shares of proceedings, in coin, for each man.

You just forget the most important line:

"Should pirates be able to get reward (xp/gold/loot) when attacking other pirates ? *NO *NO "

-Pirates should not be a nation, but a flag.

-Pirates should not be able to sail SoL while displaying pirate flag.

-Pirates should not own any port.

-Pirates should get tagged on sight by any non-trader NPC / NPC-fleet and sane players.

-Pirates are [censored] ...

I agree kinda with this but until they rework the pirates I can understand why they are a nation right now.  For me I think they should not be able to build SOL, but haave more options of special mod ships like the Pirate Frigate that only they can make and only pirates can sail.  Like they have perm smuggler flags on them so if a Nat capture one it can be hit by any one.  The same goes for if a Pirate captures a SOL.   

As for ports let them be able to do what they want in the freetowns.  Be the only ones to be able to build in them other than just a shipyard.  Instead of Port Battles they should have Port Raids.  They don't capture the port, but instead they get a bunch of booty from the raids.

I'm sure NPC aggression is a good way off, but I think they should be tagged by any one including other pirates that might of made a deal with a certain nation under the table clan wise.

You are not reading. I didn't say for a moment no SOLs for pirates, I just pointed out that without any strategic aims that warrant the use of SOLs... what would be the use for them ?! ( supposing Pirate option would get changed that is )

What do you need a ship of the line for IF you wouldn't own ports nor infrastructure to defend and be dedicated to raiding of shipping and towns ?

What would be the cost of each man in the crew in a ship of the line ? Equal shares of proceedings, in coin, for each man.

It's not like it's hard to capture a SOL with some of the folks that under crew them so this is an easy way for them to get them.  We will just have to wait for the Pirate changes to come in the future though.   I prefer to keep to shallow water Port Battles and my Frigates and below for my Pirate.

Or get rid of the stupid reinforcement circles and when joining a battle you should have three options. Join attacker, defender, or attack both. Why should a national be forced to side with a pirate? Maybe make a rule that nationals can always shoot pirates and it is never green on green.

Maybe with the Alliance stuff we will get the option to join either side or even against other rats or against both.  I can all ready seing it working this way with your allies and enemies for the Nat's.  Why aren't Pirates able to pick who they might help or not?   

• Like 1

I'm not saying we should remove Pirate Nation. But rather tie default Rules of Engagements on it, with the option to override at Clan level. It should also not be an option for Pirates to file National edicts (/Alliances).

So by default the Pirate Nation is hostile to every other Nation and the inter-Clan RoE should also be hostile.

I do agree that in Clan battles should be disabled (or zero reward). The same for in Nation battles.

This should already solve a big part of the free-for-all battle as it then becomes a Nation-Nation, Clan-Nation or Clan-Clan battle.

We can then make the Pirate Nation fully invisible and have the Pirate hard core mode right there.

But if Clan edicts would be too complex or take too much time, then I rather see the Pirate Nation still be a full Nation in the upcoming patch with the associated access to the Alliances mechanic. Until such time that we get to whatever true Pirate mechanic comes into play.

• Like 2

I actually don't care too much what they do with Pirates and it's pretty much all I've ever played. Why would I say such a thing? Because, I've grown so tired of the constant whining concerning pirates over the years I've become indifferent at this point. The simple fact of the matter is that true piracy in the Caribbean represented a substantial threat to various national interests. In the real world the number of naval assets available to the various nations to combat it was much more limited than what we have in game. We would also need a 100% player based economy and virtually complete redesign of many in game mechanics to get to a point where piracy really could effect an entire factions commerce.

This isn't going to happen. So we have a black flag. Players choose to sail under it for various reasons.....some want to truly play the pirate and focus on small ships and trader raiding....some don't have an in game nation they are closely affiliated to in real life so choose pirate....and some just want to try to escape some of the politics usually found in the national factions.

Myself, I chose pirate because I like to mostly play solo. I like being able to just log on when I want and do what I want. However, I just as easily could choose one of the national flags and go sink players everyday just like I am now. Does it really make that much of a difference to you when you get sunk if it is by a ship with a pirate flag or a national flag? How about we just have an option to not have a flag at all....would that make things better? 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...